Counterclockwise Pemi Loop - a New PR, 6/16/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LRiz

Reaction score
After having to take it easy for a few weeks due to a calf strain, I was just thrilled to see the weekend weather forecast shape up perfectly for my first Pemi Loop of 2012. Heading into the run, I had no idea what to expect. My former PR on the loop was 9:26 back in 2010, so I figured that if I could best that and come in around 9 hours I'd be quite happy!

At 6:55am I started my run at the far side of the Lincoln Woods bridge.

IMG_0247.JPG

Temperatures were in the low 50s, and I quickly settled into a steady pace, reaching the Bondcliff Trail Junction at 7:38am.

IMG_0248.JPG

The climb up Bondcliff went surprisingly smoothly. After the first water crossing I decided to take out my running poles, which I ended up using for the remainder of the loop. Electing to run with poles is hands-down one of the single best things that I've done to improve my confidence/speed in the mountains. I've always been very tentative on terrain that is at all technical (thanks to my weak ankles), and the poles have made a world of difference for me. At 8:47am I reached Bondcliff.

IMG_0249.JPG

My calves were feeling a bit crampy so I took some salt and proceeded somewhat carefully up to Bond. Fortunately, the cramps went away quickly, though I felt somewhat sluggish and sloppy climbing up Bond. I reached the summit at 9:10am.

IMG_0250.JPG

The run out to Guyot is always a joy for me, as the view looking back towards West Bond is one of my favorites in the Whites. I reached Guyot at 9:29am, passing a large group of friendly hikers on the way.

IMG_0251.JPG

While navigating the Twinway up to South Twin, I was surprised at how many stretches of the trail I was able to run (as they had been unrunnable for me on past loops). I settled into a steady rhythm, focusing on foot placement and letting the miles tick by. At 10:01am I was on the summit. The views were unbelievable, so I took the time to snap a few pictures and then headed on my way.

IMG_0252.JPG

The stretch down from South Twin to Galehead Hut has always been challenging for me, and I was curious to see if/how the poles would help. I had made decent time on the stretch a few weeks back while running a different loop, but could not recall my split. Amazingly the poles - coupled with ideal, dry trail conditions - had me down at the hut in 17 minutes - a new PR for me! I arrived at the hut at 10:18am, 3 hours and 22 minutes into my run and a good 1/2 hour faster than I'd ever reached the hut before.

IMG_0255.JPG

At this point I realized that if I remained consistent and steady, I just might have a sub-9 Pemi in me! I took around 6 minutes at the hut to refill my bladder and swap out my gel flask, and then proceeded down the Garfield Ridge Trail. A few tenths before the Gale River/Garfield Ridge Trail Junction I had the pleasure of bumping into my friends Boo and Mad Hatter, which energized me for the tough stretch of trail to come.

The Garfield Ridge Trail was the driest that that I've ever seen it, and my Hokas held up marvelously on some of the slabbier sections that had given me trouble in the past. Hiking up to Garfield felt slow as it always does, but by making sure to gel consistently I managed to reach the summit at 11:22am without bonking. Standing at the viewpoint, the climb up to Lafayette looked somewhat intimidating, but I was feeling good and ready to take on the challenge.

IMG_0256.JPG

In the past I have ALWAYS hit a massive low point on this section of the loop, which ultimately forced me to walk long stretches of trail that I probably could have jogged. In fact, one of my goals going into my loop was to not bonk climbing up Lafayette... and amazingly, I didn't. I ran every stretch of trail that was runnable (for me), and made sure to dictate my climbing pace based entirely upon my heart rate. It worked, and I felt just wonderful! Right before the Skookumchuck Trail Junction I passed another friendly runner out on a counterclockwise loop. He mentioned that he had happened to be out on the loop when the men's FKT was set last year, and inquired about my time. I glanced at my watch and realized that I was 5 hours and 15 minutes into my run. I couldn't believe it. If I could maintain 3mph over Franconia Ridge I would definitely attain my goal!

Reaching North Lafayette always energizes me. The thrill of being on Franconia Ridge - knowing that all of your major climbs are out of the way and that you've got a sweet section of runnable trail ahead of you - always gives me second wind. At 12:26pm I was on the summit of Lafayette.

IMG_0259.JPG

My mantra of the day became focused, steady, consistent, and I repeated the words over and over again in my head as I flew down the ridge. I couldn't believe how solid I felt, and I was pleased that I still had plenty of fluid in my bladder (as the prospect of having to ration my water always stresses me out). My pace remained solid all the way to Liberty, which I reached at 1:21pm.

IMG_0260.JPG

...Flume quickly followed at 1:42pm. I decided to check my watch one more time prior to my final descent, and could not believe my eyes when I saw that the total elapsed time was 6 hours and 46 minutes. Had I really made such good time across Franconia Ridge? Emotion started to build inside of me when I realized that I had a shot of not just breaking 9 hours, but breaking 8...

IMG_0261.JPG

Focused, steady, consistent. I took a shot of gel and bounded down the ever-wonderful Osseo trail. I knew it would be doable for me to run the last 5.6 miles in 1 hour 13 minutes, but a part of me was absolutely terrified that I would take a fall. Therefore, I made sure that I was very careful on the ladders and only pushed the pace where the footing was good. On the summit of Flume I'd made a decision not to look at my watch until the Lincoln Woods Bridge, as I didn't want the added stress... but when I reached the Wilderness Trail something in me realized that I was going to achieve my time goal.

Those last 1.4 miles flew by. Tears streamed down my face as I sprinted across the suspension bridge and I stopped my watch. 7 hours, 40 minutes, 52 seconds. I had bested my former Pemi Loop PR by 1 hour and 45 minutes.

IMG_0262.JPG

I had headed into the run with the goal of breaking my former PR. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that I'd ever be able to run a Pemi Loop in under 9 hours, let alone 8. Even after a huge dinner and solid night of rest, I'm finding it difficult to take it all in...

Splits

My total elapsed time was taken using my HRM stopwatch. I tracked my splits by taking pictures with my iPhone during the run. It was actually pretty neat to see that the phone tracks picture times down to the second! Since I did not take start/finish pictures and start my stopwatch concurrently, there is a 21 second difference between the total elapsed time clocked on my watch (7:40:52) and via my pictures (7:41:13).

Start - 6:55:54am
Bondcliff Junction - 7:38:35am (0:42:41)
Bondcliff - 8:47:52am (1:51:58)
Bond - 9:10:23am (2:14:29)
Guyot - 9:29:37am (2:33:43)
South Twin - 10:01:09am (3:05:15)
Galehead Hut - 10:18:23am (3:22:29)
Lafayette - 12:26:57pm (5:31:03)
Liberty - 1:21:16pm (6:25:22)
Flume - 1:42:17pm (6:46:23)
Finish - 2:37:07 (7:41:13)

Some Fun Facts...

Calories burned - 4,259
Total fuel consumed - 14 gels (8 Honey Stingers, 6 Vega Sport Gels), 4 packs of StrongerFasterHealthier Endurance Whey, 2188 calories
Average HR - 151

All pictures from the run can be viewed here.

Last edited:
:eek: Absolutely amazing, Lriz!

And to think I was congratulating myself last year for finishing the Pemi traverse before it got dark! :eek: My ankles hurt just reading your excellent report. Awesome job!!!

Congrats, that is an amazing time and couldn't imagine doing it myself! We passed each other on the Twinway between South Twin and Galehead Hut. You were moving along on the descent, so although we didn't chat, I guessed you were running a Pemi-loop. Sorry I didn't step far enough off the trail - probably cost you a few extra seconds to negotiate the rocks around me.

whew.... focused, steady, consistent - great mantra!!! Thanks for sharing so we can almost be there to see you do that!!!! :)

Just incredible!! Way to nail it with the fueling, sounds like you have a system that works pretty damn well!! Awesome!! Do you use the poles at the same length as when hiking? What kind of shoes were you wearing? I am thinking I need to find a trail runner with a sticky rubber sole... but maybe poles would be a good thing to try first since I already have them.

You should come run in the Big Brad Ultras in October in Maine. You would crush it!

Mesmerizing TR Larisa! Klutzy Kat and I were at Cman tonight for dinner, and though nothing interrupts us when eating there, we were both transfixed in reading despite the fact our dinner had arrived.

Since Klutzy Kat and I have resumed trail running again, what are Hokas, and is there some difference between trekking poles and the running poles you mention using?

Very well done congrats. Women's fastest known time, no?

Great pics, as well.

Last edited:
Congratulations Larisa! All your hard work had paid off! I knew you could do it! D whites are yours!

That report was "BREATHTAKING"! A hearty congratulations and "keep on keepin' on"!

You surely do ROCK!!!

Smoking Fast

I'll echo Petch and say congratulations for a particularly sick time. Makes me want to get a pair of poles...

-Dr. Wu

Wow!!

Very happy for you, LRiz! Big congratulations!! That will be a hard time to better!!!!!!

All the best,
Stinky
:)

A huge thanks to all of you for the congratulations and kind words!

Way to nail it with the fueling, sounds like you have a system that works pretty damn well!! Awesome!! Do you use the poles at the same length as when hiking?

Thank you! 2012 has been the year that I've really nailed my fueling strategy. I've found that training on "low" amounts of fuel (no solid food, no gels until about 2 hours into a long run, and a NUUN/BCAA powder combination for hydration) has really helped me maximize my fat burning efficiency. Thus, I'm then able to push a bit harder when I increase my amount of fuel while still running within my max aerobic HR range. I took up HR training earlier this year at the encouragement of my friend Steve, and it has made a world of difference for me. My pace is 100% dictated by HR - if I go above my max aerobic HR of 161 I will ease up until my HR subsides. Interestingly, continually monitoring my HR has also helped me to realize that I'm actually able to push harder on certain sections (namely moderate uphills) that I formerly would hike by default.

Here's a good article on the HR strategy that I employ:
http://www.markallenonline.com/maoArticles.aspx?AID=2

Regarding poles - I use Black Diamond Ultra Distance Z poles at a fixed length of 120cm. They are extremely lightweight, pack up tiny, and I've found them to be very sturdy. That said, I don't believe that poles are for everyone. I have friends who have broken Z poles in the past, and it does take some experimenting to find techniques that work for you individually... not that I'm at all graceful!

...what are Hokas, and is there some difference between trekking poles and the running poles you mention using?

Hokas are a brand of running shoes that I've been using on and off since 2011 (and exclusively since winter 2012). I run roads in the Bondi B model, and trails in the Stinson Evos. Hokas have drastically helped to alleviate my accessory navicular issues, to the extent where I no longer need to run using supportive insoles. The Stinson Evos are just a dream in the Whites - at least for me! The foam in the midsole is quite a bit stiffer than the Mafates (Hoka's other trail shoe), which has helped me manage my proclivity towards rolling my ankles :). The uppers also drain very quickly - always a good thing when you like to walk through water crossings instead of rock-hopping - and the outsole traction is decent. It's important to note that they do have a pretty minimal heel-toe differential, though, which can take some adjusting to if one is not used to running in low-drop shoes.

http://hokaoneone-na.com/index.html

Very well done congrats. Women's fastest known time, no?

I believe so. I have posted a link to this trip report on the FKT website.