Phenomenal Alex Honnold - an amazing free soloing accomplishment

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alex's accomplishments are truly unbelievable. I wish he would just stop now so we aren't reading about his death at some point in the future. I used to rock climb quite a bit, and if you try to make a career out of free soloing it is just a matter of time. It could be something completely out of his control; a bee's nest in a crack, a wet rock. He is the best that has ever lived, just please stop now!

Alex's accomplishments are truly unbelievable. I wish he would just stop now so we aren't reading about his death at some point in the future. I used to rock climb quite a bit, and if you try to make a career out of free soloing it is just a matter of time. It could be something completely out of his control; a bee's nest in a crack, a wet rock. He is the best that has ever lived, just please stop now!
Live by the Sword.

When I read that Alex "forgot" his chalk I was once again reminded how fast it could all end with one slight error in judgment or misstep. Watching someone "live by the sword" to this degree causes me more distress than enjoyment. AS I age I appreciate how tenuous life is and we don't get second chances.

When I see Alex I always hope that some young folks don't try to emulate him and end up as organ donors.

Someone gave Alex "chalk" but no one will be there to give him another life.

I can't say it better than Pudgy-groundhog...

pudgy_groundhog

I love following Alex (tip: friend him on facebook), but unfortunately, he is going to die at some point. I've read dozens of books by climbers that have had friends die that they NEVER thought would die. Something out of his control is going to happen to Alex, just like events have in these books to friends of the authors.

In the meantime, the kid is amazing and already a legend.

I love following Alex (tip: friend him on facebook), but unfortunately, he is going to die at some point. I've read dozens of books by climbers that have had friends die that they NEVER thought would die. Something out of his control is going to happen to Alex, just like events have in these books to friends of the authors.

In the meantime, the kid is amazing and already a legend.
Would you post the titles of your favorites? Are there really dozens of books on the subject? And are you talking about free soloers or climbers in general?

Climbers in general. Read anything by Ed Viestures or Joe Simpson and you'll see how many of their friends have died. Most of those were mountaineers, which is a bit different but I've read lots of stories of famous rock climbers dying or getting seriously injured too.

Honnold is the absolute best there is, but he is falling into the dangerous game of always trying to "one-up" himself. That motivation is what can eventually gets climbers in trouble in my opinion.

I've got the video of Alex free soloing Half Dome the first time. It's hard to even watch it. I truly hope that he stops before something happens, but at least for now that doesn't appear to be in the cards. Unfortunately there's too much not in his control.

Another book to add to the "climbing tragedies" list is "On the Ridge Between Life and Death" by David Roberts. My favorite mountaineering author (and one of the few climbers who actually is an real writer). Definitely a sobering look into this world.

Not to simply play Devil's Advocate, but one could also argue that if he's not free soloing then he might as well be dead to the world anyway, he'd probably be dead to himself. What is Alex Honnold if not a free-soloist? (That's a rhetorical question by the way)

Kudos to him. He's truly amazing.

Alex is amazing but I agree with everyone else that free soloing just is not a long term career. I also agree that since this is what he loves he would not feel alive if he stopped.

Whenever I mention rock climbing to non climbers everyone mentions Alex's segment from 60 minutes/ It is amazing how famous this dude is.