Black Diamond Z Poles

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The light weight of these is impressive, but the question would be durability and strength compared to conventional pole designs.

I have been using B D Alpine Carbon Cork poles for almost three years. They are fantastic and weight about 1 pound. The clamp system never fails and the poles collapse to a short height, making them easy to mount on your backpack.

I recommend checking these out.
http://www.rei.com/product/812367/rei-traverse-powerlock-trekking-poles-pair

http://www.rei.com/product/812378/rei-traverse-powerlock-womens-trekking-poles-pair

I included both site because of the reviews.
I bought these several months ago when I intended to buy BD"S . I opted to try them and love them.
I don't miss the shock system at all. In fact I am liking that when I place my pole, it is very solid and also very comfortable to hold.
I have used poles for a long time but now I look forward to hiking with them. They are also quite a big less money the the BD's. Super light to.
And with REI satisfaction guarantee, they might be worth trying out to see if they meet your needs.

I currently own BD two clip lock and three way clip lock poles. The two ways are die hards but don't shorten enough to mount on the pack. The three ways have been a constant source of frustration, bends that cause one or more sections to resist collapse are my chief complaints.

Thanks to all who offered input.:)

I use the Black Diamond Ultra Distance Z poles (120cm) for all of my runs in the Whites. I absolutely love them - they are incredibly lightweight (to the point where I have no issue simply carrying them in my hands while running on non-technical terrain), pack up very small, and are a breeze to snap into place. While I have never doubted their sturdiness, I do have a good friend who broke one on South Twin a couple weeks back. I think it really depends on how aggressively you plan on using them. FWIW, you can get a great deal on the poles here.

Thanks, L! I am definatley in the market for a set of poles that are going to come off the pack on ~some descents~, and then go for a ride the rest of the day. Thanks for your recommendation and that awesome link to the sale!!!:D

Saw these poles last weekend while visiting a friend on the AT. Amazing how light they are and how small they pack!! I was impressed! Until I realized you couldn't lengthen them for water crossings.......so, I'm out. (I've had the same poles since 2002........really attatched to them now anyway!!) But wow, light and small!! And if you are only going to use them for descents, then carry the rest of the day..........these might be right up your alley!! featherweight light!!