Maine lodging

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

askus3

Reaction score
Warwick, NY ( 3 miles by crow from Wildcat Shelter
You have been so successful in finding me lodging in Tamworth that I will try to make it 2 for 2 with you experts. I see you have also offered good suggestions for the Grafton Notch area on another thread. So here goes: My other trip that I am planning in 2005 will be in the Kingfield, Stratton, Rangeley region where I will be climbing the ten Maine 4,000 footers in the area plus I want to also spend a couple of days in Byron. So again, anyone have lodging suggestions. Right now I am leaning toward staying at Deer Farm Campground (specifically the Cabins) and Coos Canyon Campground (again specifically the Cabins). Does anyone have any personal experience with these places. Thank you.

askus3 said:
... My other trip that I am planning in 2005 will be in the Kingfield, Stratton, Rangeley region where I will be climbing the ten Maine 4,000 footers in the area plus I want to also spend a couple of days in Byron. So again, anyone have lodging suggestions. ...
Gull Pond Lodge in Rangeley
White Wolf Inn in Stratton
Cathedral Pines CG on Rte 27 north of Stratton

And don't forget to bag the NEHH peaks in the area (Horn, Elephant, plus the six-pack). You'll be sorry later that you didn't if you don't. Leave No Stragglers!

I LOVE the Campground in Eustis, the name is escaping me right now but it might be "Whispering Pines" . . . one of the other Maine Six Pack group that went on the trip I was on might be able to chime in . . .

I have also stayed at the White Wolf Inn and it is clean and cheap so that might be a closer option . . .

sli74

When I did my 4,000 footers in 1981, I stayed in Cathedral Pines CG. This CG I agree is a very scenic place to auto camp and a great base for these 4,000 footers and the so called six-pack, but this time, I am continuing my dayhiking AT journey south across the range from Flagstaff Lake (East Flagstaff Road) to Richardson Lake (South Arm Road). As a result I have already scouted out a dirt access road to the AT near Phillips, ME that crosses at Perham Stream which means I will be doing dayhikes from Caribou Valley Road thru to Perham Stream and then Perham Stream to ME 4. So I want a place to stay on the southeast side of the mountain range (like the Kingfield area).

You probably think I am crazy to do the AT this way and I have been ridiculed for it, but I enjoy sleeping in comfort and would rather not carry all that weight that backpacking in comfort (in my opinion) requires. Personal preferences. That is why I like the slogan "Hike your own hike". Anyway, I am impressed that I have it figured out that I will only have spent one night out backpacking thru the entire state of Maine. But I did have two 19 mile days.

PapaBear: You probably are right, that I shouldn't miss these peaks because I will be kicking myself. In 1981, I said why bother doing Spaulding or Reddington. Go know that they will be on the 4,000 footer list, someday. But since I am now section hiking the AT, I am back in the area to pick them up. But I might again kick myself but I think I will pass on the six pack. (I already climbed Coe & The Brothers and passed on Fort, so I pretty much accepted the idea of passing up the NEHH.) That is why I have decided to go for the 52 with a view list now that I have finished the NH 48 as the list sounds more appealing and not as remotely far afield as the NEHH. But out of the six-pack if there is one or two of great scenic beauty that if I have time to squeeze in, which ones should I choose to ascend?

Beauty's in the eye of the beholder when it comes to the 6-pack. There's a grassy flowery logging road that runs up beside Bear Brook towards White Cap, and on a summer day it's a delightful stroll all the way to the summit. There are even some views into the heart of the region. Papa Bear might be able to guess better how long it was - perhaps 14 miles round trip, including North Kennebago Divide.

If I were to do one of the 6 Pack solely for the views, it would be COP Snow (the one with the trail and Fire Tower). The ATV road to the Pond is nothing to write home about, but the upper part of the trail is wonderful.

I'd still stay at Cathedral Pines. There are few sites better than sitting on the beach looking over the Bigelow Range, watching the moose in Flagstaff Lake. Site 69 and 70 are my favorites.

SherpaKroto said:
If I were to do one of the 6 Pack solely for the views, it would be COP Snow (the one with the trail and Fire Tower). The ATV road to the Pond is nothing to write home about, but the upper part of the trail is wonderful.

"Solely for the Views" on Chain of Ponds . . . watching a couple of "angels" ascend the firetower wouldn't be included in that would it? :)

I would agree with Sherpa, the views from Snow COP was wonderful and the hiking company was even better . . .

Aaron, you can always come back in another 14 years to get the NEHH you pass up today :)

sli74

Of the six, the two-with-a-view (which, by the way, are the two-with-a-trail) would be COP Snow and Boundary Peak. Boundary in the winter, or at least with snow on the ground, is spectacular ('cause you see that old boundary swath going up and down along the ridge line into the distance).
abi.thumb.jpg

Boundary Peak in the snow

Obviously, forget these in the rain. Then they will merely be two-more-in-the-fog.

As for Audrey's question, I think it was about 12 miles from the missing bridge. However, note that Bob & Gerry found a way around that bridge so now the Bear Brook route (aka Stan & Eric's route) to Whitecap/EKD is maybe 3 miles. Check B&G's report: B&G's 4-pack report

Pb

Last edited:
The concensus is Snow (Chain of Ponds). That actually fits best in my schedule as it looks like a moderate 6 miler surrounded by two 13 milers with approximately 4,000 feet of elevation gain will be ideal. Also no car shuttle. I like that. Now what do I have to do to see "angels" up there?

I agree that Cathedral Pines is a great place.
Spencer: Is the motel next to the grocery store in Eustis far from Cathedral Pines and does this place have a name? This way my non-camping friends have accommodations while part of the group camps.

Now the only questions still to be answered is:
1. Does anybody out there have experience with Deer Farm Campground and their cabins, which I haven't completely given up on staying at?

2. For my nights at the south end of this journey, anyone have comments about Coos Canyon Campground & Cabins in Byron.

I also plan on revisiting Tumbledown on my travel day between Kingfield/Cathedral Pines & Byron. Byron (Coos Canyon) seems like a good base for the two sections of the AT from ME 4 to South Arm. Tumbledown in my opinion is probably my favorite moderate 5 mile day hike in the northeast. It has every feature you could pack into a 5 mile hike. Caves, ladders, pond swimming, waterfalls (small but cute), open rock ledges with outstanding views. So a return hike there (done on 8-13-00) between my 15 mile Saddleback traverse and my 13 mile AT section past Sabbaday Pond, I hope to also squeeze in.

This trip is really shaping up into a great plan. It looks like an 11 day hiker dream trip in Maine.
Thanks folks.

Aaron,

the place I'm talking about is about a ten minute drive from Cathedral Pines. I don't know the name and a quick google didn't turn up what I was looking for. I said Eustis, but I meant Stratton. Anyway, there's a good chance it's called the Stratton Motel.

Sorry I can't be of better help. It was about 5-10 bucks cheaper than the White Wolf IIRC.

spencer

If you're talking about Stratton, it is the Stratton Motel. It's on the other side of the store from the White Wolf Inn. I stayed there in 2002 and it was fine, but the owner has since changed, so I can't say what it would be like now. I stayed in the hostel area (a suite of rooms nearest the road) but I think that no longer exists.

I would say 10 minutes from Cathedral Pines would be speeding. Maybe if you have a nice Maine registered pickup like Spencer, it would be OK. :D

sli74: whenever "angels" are involved, the best views are guaranteed. So, yes, that was a memorable sight! Now, on the other hand, I still have nightmares about watching Neighbor's antics on the tower

Aaron: the answer is "hike with Sherpa". I am blessed, I know it, and I love it :cool:

Kevin and PB,

thanks for confirming. My memory of such things is kind of foggy.

perhaps my truck likes to go a bit fast, but I wouldn't think the trip would be much more than 10 minutes...
even for you minivan drivers out there :D

spencer