SE Warren and Mt Warren - A shredfest and porcupine encounter.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Staff member
Reaction score
In spite of my knowing better from previous 'whacks to SEW, my friend Mike K had never been there before so I suppressed the memories of acres of 6' to 7' thorn armored berry canes. The old woods roads were hidden by the prickers, so it was step, smash them, step, etc. Painfully slow progress. We then threaded our way over the top and tried to avoid the prickerfest on the way to Mt Warren.

While wading thru the mess, my Lab, Bookahs started moaning, hidden in the vegetation. Turns out that while we were busy with navigation, Boo was introducing herself to a porcupine. This was her 6th quilling, being dequilled in the woods each time. I removed as many as I could remove with fingers, the balance coming out with multipliers. after 10 min, she was back to her hike.
All and all, an interesting day: a Catskill 100 and 200 peak, and a fun day introducing the area to a friend.

Bookah points to where she wants to go on maps. :D

The NE and ADK Hundreds have spruce waves, conifer blowdowns. A lot of the Cat 100 and 200s have pricker fields.
Q: Why do I hit myself in the head with a hammer?
A: 'Cause it feels so good when I stop.

All kidding aside, part of the challenge besides the land navigation is getting around and thru the tough places. Bookah wiggles her way thru thick stuff, unscratched, but she'd find porkies in a city park.