NH F&G: Bear Activity High: Homeowners and Campers Should Take Precautions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very high. Two bear sightings in two days on Rt. 3 in Campton.

A large one took it's time with the dumpster the other night before I was awoken and clapped it off, 4-5 bags shredded. Back yesterday across the street at Chesley's Glory Station in broad daylight, Sunset Grill dumpster was raided come morning. The landlord rigged up an anti-bear plywood/screw set up as a deterrent, that should to teach it to make such a mess!

We have 2 year old cubs and a Mom in our campground in Littleton. The cubs grabbed my feeders one night that I forgot to bring them in. Found them the next day in the woods behind my site. The tenter's sites are also being raided when they leave the coolers out. The cubs are very bold and come walking down the middle of the Camp road in the mornings and evenings. My wife ran into one of them the other night on a walk. They have also been having fun with the dumpsters. The owners have talked with F&G and will be setting up the dumpsters to be bear proof. They are hoping if the food sources dry up they will move along on their own.

Good article. Inspired me to change my avatar. I wondered if it was increased activity or increased population. The increase in activity was explained well. They're still relocating in CT to the same areas (near the AT) that already have a larger population :rolleyes:. People literally need to clean up their acts, but this should be preaching to the choir here.

Another take away is to learn how to hang food and then use the technique. On the rare occasions I have seen food hanging setups in the whites, they are definitely marginal at best. Probably better than nothing but unfortunately if a bear gets rewarded by a poor hang, they will refine their technique. Bruts the bear and his clan used to raid sites inthe PEMI and the bears approach was to bluff charge a site during supper and take whatver was left out.

The PCT method is considered the "Gold Standard" (lots of hits on google), and will probably work for most bears except in hihg use areas (like the ADKs) and spots along the AT in Georgia.

Of course realize that flying squirrels and other small critters are not stopped by bear bag hanging.

Another take away is to learn how to hang food and then use the technique. On the rare occasions I have seen food hanging setups in the whites, they are definitely marginal at best. QUOTE]

I found it very difficult at times to find satisfactory trees from which to hang a bear bag in the Whites. I have been using URSACK for a few years now. I love it. It is light (~ 8 oz), foldable, and easy to use. I have not had a bear test it for me yet :).

I found it very difficult at times to find satisfactory trees from which to hang a bear bag in the Whites. I have been using URSACK for a few years now. I love it. It is light (~ 8 oz), foldable, and easy to use. I have not had a bear test it for me yet :).
Ursack and metal-mesh food sacks will keep rodents at bay and may deter bears, but after a bear has chewed it and jumped up-and-down on it for a while you are likely to find your food unappetizing...

Some metal-mesh food sacks:
* ratsack (http://armoredoutdoorgear.com)
* outsack (http://www.simpleoutdoorstore.com/)
* foodsack (www.foodsack.org)
* grubpack (http://www.grubpack.com/)

Doug

Bear rummaged some back porches and garbage pails Monday night in Bethlehem (garbage pick-up is Tuesday morning). This was a classic example, like with camping, where one only needs to be cleaner/more conscientious than their neighbor to avoid a visit.