Talk to me about the Cohos Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBKDalton

Reaction score
A friend and I are planning on spending 7-8 days on the Cohos trail in July, probably heading south from the Canadian border. I was wondering if anyone has any personal experiences they could share (I did take a look at Guthook's blog), as it seems there's not much out there. There's quite a bit of road walking in the north-where did people stay? What kind of mileage did you do? I'm not a twenty-mile-a-day hiker and my feet tend to blister when walking on asphalt. How well marked is the trail in the north? Anyone have any trail stories to tell? Thanks!

I've done a fair amount of hiking in the Pittsburg area including around Magalloway, East Inlet Road, 4th Conn. Lake, Indian Stream Road, Hall Stream Road, you name it. There were markers from that Canadian hiker group (Sentenales ?? or something French ??) along the boundary and in Canada but I don't think I ever noticed a Cohos Trail marker, not that I was looking. BTW: these are all logging roads, dirt, not asphalt. Not paved till you get back on Route 3.

Stayed at Tall Timber Lodge, north of Pittsburg. But this was a base camp, since we just did day hikes.

Come to think of it there were some around where the trail crosses Dixville Notch.

Here an old report: Boundary Hikes Columbus weekend 2006

Use a good map. Don't depend on markers.

PS: July too hot and dusty. Go in October (I know, I know, vacation time available, blah blah blah)

Last edited:
The northernmost campground is Deer Mtn on Rte 3 (formerly Moose Falls), you may decide to leave your car here as they don't like cars overnight at the border

There are a couple other roadside campgrounds that the trail passes in Pittsburg but no backcountry sites, this is probably the town in NH where you are most likely to get caught and fined for illegal camping

S of Pittsburg the Cohos Trail has some developed sites mentioned in their book

I thru hiked the Cohos in 2009. From what I heard most of the walking along Rt 3 has been eliminated. about 20 miles from the Border is the home of Peter and Lanie Castine, both are officers of the Cohos Trail Assoc. and the chief maintainers. At there home is a hostel as well as a campsite. There are a few campsites for pay along the way but on the north side of Dixville Notch is a shelter specifically for the Cohos. There is another shelter just north of Nash Stream Forest, South of Dixville Summit. When I thru hiked I stealth camped most of the way. Check the Cohos Trail Assoc website for all updates since the guidebook printing. There is also a forum there that the Castines as well as Kim Nielsen the trail's creator answer questions.
There still is a fair amount of dirt road walking and snowmobile trails. North of Stark the hiking is Dixville Notch the hiking doesn't make too much in the way of big climbs or decents and you can make good time. Route finding is tricky at times as there are very few sections consistenly blazed north of Stark. Great trail for solitude especially when you leave WMNF. South of Stark the trail follows Kilkenny Ridge Trail over Cabot then to Weeks, Waumbek, and Starr King.
I hiked the entire 162 miles in 8 days. 14 is typical for entire trail. Expect wet trail on snowmobile trails no matter how dry it has been.

The hiking group is called the Sentiers Frontaliers, or "Border Trails" referred to by Papa Bear, but of course do trail work at the Quebeck/NH line...and a new Border Patrol Station has been built at the Pittsburg crossing..tomcat32 has the right idea, as there has been numerous changes to the trail in the past few years, so it must be researched pretty well. I only have the book printed in 2000 so that most likely is very outdated..it is described south to north...all I would say is to try not to pass up unique opportunities, new windfarm in the area, Sugarloaf (side trip) and Percys (also side trip) somewhat unknown to only the ardent hiking community...and once you get down to the Pilot and Pliny Ranges, well, I guess you would know them!! When you get to Stark headed towards South Pond and the Kilkenny Range Trail, West Milan south on Rt. 110 has Gord's Village Store (small restaurant and gas) or go north to Groveton for more "advanced" fare (2 stores...!) I hope the weather co ops with you!! Lefty E... PS drop me a PM, if I could help you out with a resupply either Rt. 110 (Stark) or Rt. 2 (Jefferson) we could see about the dates and time...

Last edited:
Lefty, thanks for the offer, but I think we'll be ending at either South Pond or Jefferson. Thanks for the info everyone, I will continue to look at the website and maps. I think the first and second nights at least will be Deer Mt and the hiker's bungalow. Thanks again.

That Facebook Thing

There is a "Friends of the Cohos Trail" on Facebook. I bet you could find some info or ask some questions there.