Dudley Trail (BSP) comparison?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikes-with-him

Reaction score
Hi there

Taking a friend up to Baxter this weekend (weather permitting!). We would like to go up Dudley, across the knife's edge, to Hamlin and down the Hamlin ridge trail. We have done knife's edge and know what to expect. However, we have not done Dudley.

Can anyone give me a comparison as to what Dudley is like? We've done many in the whites (King's ravine, castle ridge...) and have done the cathedral up to Baxter peak...We are just wondering if this is something that is in the cards for our friend; he is newish to hiking and we want him to enjoy. He is, however, very excited about the knife's edge!

Thanks for your help.

My recollection of the Dudley trail, and it was some years ago, was that it is a big, blocky boulder climb. Pretty steep, but no hanging off of ledges, a sense of exposure but less so than the KE.

There is nothing like Dudley in the Whites. Its basically a boulder field with some steep gravely chutes down on the lower section. If you have been up the Hunt trail, the boulders you encounter are similiar but you have a longer stretch on Dudley. There isnt a high level of exposure like knifes edge but the views are great. Stash your poles, they will get in the way going up. As you climb, the boulders get bigger and you will use a lot of upper body strength. Dont consider it in wet conditions as there are a lot of pitches where you depend on the friction of the rocks to traverse a large area. In some spots its "whack a mole" territory where you are stepping/jumping from boulder to boulder with a steep drop into a crevice if you miss. There is zero water on the trail so plan accordingly.

I would not recommend going down it if you have the choice as you end up doing long jumps down onto rocks on a frequent basis which gets old near the end of the day. I do use poles going down but you really need to depend on them and if you drop them they may be gone forever wedged in crack. Many folks do a lot of buttsliding down and by the end of the day their pants get a bit threadbare.

Its not as tough a trail or as exposed as Huntingtons or the Flume, its just takes a lot of bouldering and a lot longer time than you would expect.

The hike you propose is pretty substantial hike, you really do not save anytime taking Dudley vs Helon Tayor Trail from Roaring Brook. Dudley is mostly intended for Chimney Pond Campers so they can do the Knifes Edge. I like Helon Taylor as if you get their early you can get hihg enough to catch sunrise.

Have fun, although the current long range forecast looks like Sunday is the day.

Last edited:
I went down Dudley in the throes of Plantar Fasciitis and it wasn’t fun. A comparison might be the boulder field of King Ravine, just longer and steeper.

Dont consider it in wet conditions as there are a lot of pitches where you depend on the friction of the rocks to traverse a large area. <snip>

I would not recommend going down it is you have the choice as you end up doing long jumps down onto rocks on a frequent basis which gets old near the end of the day. I do use poles going down
FWIW I have gone up it in the rain.

IIRC (it was a long time ago...) the boulders are granite or a similar rock. Bare granite (ie no lichens) gives pretty good traction even when wet.

We also went back down in the rain... Just take your time and downclimb rather than jump.

It was pre-hiking pole, but I think I would disrecommend the use of poles going up or down.

Doug

I always thought of the Dudley as a "Rock Slide Masquerading as a Trail". In good conditions it's actually a lot of fun. Suggest you go up it, not down.

And if you're doing a loop from Chimney Pond, there is not much choice. If looping from Roaring Brook I might still do the Chimney pond trail >> Dudley, because the Helon Taylor is so long and boring. Actually a bit like Hamlin Ridge but twice as long. Bring sunscreen! Just my opinion.

I absolutely love the Dudley Trail and can't recommend it enough if you like scrambling. I'd call it class II with some class II+ in a few spots. If you are comfortable, I highly recommend climbing "Pamola's Finger" on the way up. It's an incredible photo opportunity!

Agree with peakbagger 100%. There is nothing like it anywhere I've been, really, as there are boulder fields out here that are steeper but not smooth round rock like "the Dud". I had a harder time on the Dudley than the KE because my flexibility stinks. The good thing is that all the rocks are VERY stable, so as long as you land on rock and not the air in between, you will be fine. No significant exposure. Just take your time and tell your friend not to think about the challenges of the Dudley, the Chimney and the Knife Edge all at the same time!