Not pushing (my family's) limits: smaller WMNF outings sought

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
Got a bunch of relatives coming in and out over the next week and they'll be needing some less than even half day adventures. Flume Gorge, Lost River, short, easier hikes or drives to scenic scenes I may have missed, etc. that are worthwhile. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

PS: I've got the standard "White Mountains Attractions" links. I'm looking for some local knowledge, maybe like Ice Gulch or short waterfall hikes, that aren't necessarily on the standard lists.

Last edited:
Shorter, Easier

These are not in the White Mountains per se, but are still great hikes. There are great opportunities in the Belknaps and Ossipees. The view of Lake Winnepesaukee from Mount Major in Alton may be the best bang for the buck there is. Belknap Mtn. has a fire-tower with a great view as well. A good loop can be made from the base of the Belknap auto road to the summit of Gunstock or Belknap and include Piper on the way back.

In the Ossipees many of the trails are carriage roads. A good hike can be had there on many of the trails, with good views of the "Big Lake". A trip to Castle in the Clouds might be interesting as well. A good hike to Mt. Roberts or to Turtleback Mtn. would be easy, and return you to the area near C in the C. You can get maps of the trails at the entrance to C in the C.

KDT

Please dont take them to Ice Gulch, its not suitable for novice hikers and would take longer than a half a day

Randolph has some nice local trails on the North side of Rt 2. Lookout Ledge can either be reached from the top of Randolph Hill road or Durand Road. The Durand Road approach is steep but short while the Randolph Hill Road approach is longer but a nice walk through the woods. The view of the Northern Presis from the ledge is hard to beat.

Milan Hill Fire Tower is bascially a drive to destination but its a good excuse to do a North Country Loop. Its fresh strawberry pie season at the Northland Dairy Bar in Berlin so its worth heading up North. If you want to do some Moose watching, Pontook Dam and 13 mile woods is nice place to visit around Sunset.

The Pine Mtn trail is bascially a road walk but the sde views from the ledges are great. I wouldnt recomend the boulder path down unless folks like bouldering.

Weeks State Park usually has some events in the evening, its worth going just to see sunset from the tower.

The Shelburne trail network is nice. A lot of great views along the Androscoggin River Valley. They havent issued the new map yet but the AMC guide has the old network which was rehabbed recently. The one down side is the area has wood ticks.

Please dont take them to Ice Gulch, its not suitable for novice hikers and would take longer than a half a day

Yeah, thanks, I realize that. I was using that as an example of the type of "off the lists" attractions I'm looking for. There are some teenagers/young adults involved, though. I might take them there.

Devils Hopyard is similiar to Icy Gulch and is less of a hike in and out. If you ahve a couple of boats South Pond is nice paddle for those not interested in Hiking.

I agree about Ice Gulch. They wouldn't be happy with it, is my guess. There is a long walk in and out and there are no real views, and the Gulch can be pretty intimidating. It is a fun place to go if you like that sort of thing, and I do.

Another hike I would suggest in that same area, though it may be longer than what you folks are looking to do, is Crescent. I've done that several times counter-clockwise and there are nice views of the northern Presis on a ledge on the way out.

Another option is something in the Green Hills Preserve from the Puddin Pond parking lot. To think that you can look down at North Conway and think about all the people spending money on STUFF is kind of cool. And when you and they are down there spending money in the shops you can look up and see where you have been.

A little south of Conway, the Great Hill fire tower in Tamworth is an easy little hike, with an excellent view from the top. Especially nice in the fall for leaf-peeping. Drive to the top of Great Hill Rd from the village center, park at the intersection at the top, then hike up the snow mobile trail. If you're with kids a visit to the Remick Farm in the village is a fun side activity.

Chocorua Lake Conservation Foundation has a nice network of easy trails on the west side of the lake. No great views, but nice woods-walking. There are usually (but not always) photo-copied maps in the kiosk in the parking lot off Rt. 16, then keep driving up the dirt road, staying to the right, to get to a small trailhead parking lot.

Rumney Rattlesnake!!

A small lollipop loop off Buffalo Road in Rumney, NH, it can be found on the "Moosilauke-Kinsman" AMC map. Great view of the Baker River valley. It's a stiff but short climb with good footing and little mud, usually.

Last edited:
How about the Pemi Trail from the Basin towards Lafayette CG? The trail follows the water, and if they don't get to the CG (2 miles), they will have had a nice woods walk.

I also like the Falling Waters Trail up as far as the third waterfall. (I've been thinking of places we could take the grandkids next week!)

I always enjoy Black Cap in the Green Hills of N Conway and also Cathedral Ledge above Echo Lake State Park (which has an auto road or trails from Echo Lake area)..then go have lobster and steamers at Jonathans or Lobster Trap!! and the Kanc is not far away with Boulder Loop and other attractions..and speaking of Franconia Notch, take the Pemi trail from Lafayette Campground north to Cannon Mt tram parking then hit Bald Mt./Artist Bluff loop with a car spot of course at the tram parking...

Last edited:
To add to Peakbagger's Randolph options,

-the Town Line Brook Trail is nice off Pinkham B Rd close to Rt 2. It is 0.3 miles, although you earn it, and you see three nice waterfalls...Proteus, Erebus, and Evans I believe. Erebus is my personal favorite. Not a good trail for real small kids on the loose though as there are large drops that the trail skirts closely.

-From Appalachia, taking the Fallsway passes 4 falls in less than a half mile and can be looped back on the Valley Way for about a mile trip.

-A personal favorite 4 mile or so loop with a summit feel is to take the Valley Way to the Inlook Trail to Dome Rock which is a small, open, dome-shaped subpeak on Gordon Ridge with a nice view. Down the Kelton Trail and back by Sylvan Way to Appalachia. Climbs about 1000' or so, so you do a bit of work but get a nice reward. And if you take the Fallsway instead of Valley Way, you get the 4 falls bonus. There is a bit of minor scrambling on the route.

Edit: as an advantage for other family members, there is a car view spot at top of the hill on Rte 2 in Randolph of Adams and Madison that is fantastic when clear. maybe a mile, mile and a half east of Appalachia. Good photo opp for those dropping off hikers and then going out for lunch instead.

Last edited:
Bald Mountain on Artists Bluff Loop (Franconia Notch, across from Cannon, ski area parking lot). 0.4 miles from parking lot to summit, a tiny bit of ledge scrambling, excellent views of the Notch from the top. Blueberry bushes all over the summit. Lovely. One of our favorite mountains.

Bald Mountain on Artists Bluff Loop (Franconia Notch, across from Cannon, ski area parking lot). 0.4 miles from parking lot to summit, a tiny bit of ledge scrambling, excellent views of the Notch from the top. Blueberry bushes all over the summit. Lovely. One of our favorite mountains.

Yes, ours too. Was my wife's first "NH High Peak" as our boys took boarding lessons at Cannon. Great payoff for small effort. Thanks for everyone's help. We have ages ranging from 15 to 82 coming in.

Devils Hopyard is similiar to Icy Gulch and is less of a hike in and out. If you ahve a couple of boats South Pond is nice paddle for those not interested in Hiking.

Just a note: I wanted to do the Hopyard this past Sunday, but discovered that the gated access road doesn't open until 10AM.

Good Catch Bob, I have always suspected that the WMNF just doesnt know what to do with South Pond and therefore forced it on the private company as a condition of getting other sites. I expect the South Pond experience is probably the reason that the Pond of Safety development wasnt pursued after the purchase by WMNF.

Last edited: