Foliage in Franconia Notch

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
When driving through the Franconia Notch today (26-June), couldn't help but notice that it looked like early autumn in the general vicinity roughly between Boise Rock and Exit 34B.
Maybe the recent roadwork in the Notch somehow damaged the foliage??

(Moderator: I didn't see a previous thread about this, but if I missed it, then please delete this post.)

CIMG8212.JPG

I noticed this same coloring when I went through the Notch yesterday. It's disturbing and I'm surprised it is not on the news. When I first saw the photo from John, I had two, no three thoughts: an old photo from last fall, a photoshopped photo, too much rain (like if I over-water my plants). But the fourth thought I have now is that this is a serious problem. First we lose our Old Man, now we are losing trees?

Anyone know more?

The NH Department of Environmental Services has a document that lists the expected effects of climate change in NH which mentions the effects on the forests:
Global Climate Change and Its Impact on New Hampshire

Impacts on New Hampshire Forests
• Ecological collapse for several tree species, including beech, maple, and hemlock (an important
species for deer during the winter).
• Widespread tree mortality, including spruce and others; decreases in vegetation density of 25 -
75 percent; extensive wildfires; large increases in pest and pathogen outbreaks; and a lag in the
establishment of new forests for several decades.
• Northern movement of other local tree species from 100 - 300 miles.
• Potential large-scale die-offs of sugar maple, on average a $3 - $3.5 million dollar industry.

Impacts on New Hampshire Foliage
• Dulling and browning of foliage season due to tree die-offs, species substitution, and "climate stressed" unhealthy trees.
New Hampshire foliage travelers on average spend a total of $292 million annually.

I am seeing a lot more stressed trees here in VT, perhaps linked to the freak warm spell we had in March. Also, our apple trees, which were loaded last year, have a pitiful amount of tiny apples, as the blossoms were ruined by frost.

Last edited:
Sorry to disappoint but everyone, but you will need to wait a few more months to see "fall foliage" in Franconia Notch.

These brown leaves are due to the recently replaced pavement on the road. The heat from the brand new BLACK payment, which can get to temperatures well above 200 F, is not only hot enough to fry an egg, but also to fry all of the nearby leaves.

I’d be careful posting about “foliage”. I would hate for the leaf peepers to invade our state sooner than usual!

These brown leaves are due to the recently replaced pavement on the road. The heat from the brand new BLACK payment, which can get to temperatures well above 200 F, is not only hot enough to fry an egg, but also to fry all of the nearby leaves.QUOTE]

So was the State DOT aware of the damage their equipment would do in the narrow environment of the notch? How could they get away with causing such destruction?

These brown leaves are due to the recently replaced pavement on the road. The heat from the brand new BLACK payment, which can get to temperatures well above 200 F, is not only hot enough to fry an egg, but also to fry all of the nearby leaves.QUOTE]

So was the State DOT aware of the damage their equipment would do in the narrow environment of the notch? How could they get away with causing such destruction?

Oh come on... it was the heat with the new pavement, not the equipment. The DOT clearly could not have predicted that shortly after they redid the road, that I am SURE most people appreciate is repaved, that it would be unseasonable hot and some leaves would get roasted.....

NILTAIC. Have you been through the notch recently to see why there is concern? I am not really sure what your response means so would like to know more about what you are trying to say that will make me feel beter.

The trees were fine until the road was resurfaced. Do you mean the funky, unseasonal look is okay because People would rather have a smooth, black road rather than green leaves on trees?

Perhaps you could rephrase your answer for me.

Was the timing of the resurfacing wrong? Did Mother Nature interfere somehow with the timing of this project? No one i know expects foliage of this coloring unless something is terribly wrong.

It is like in the old days where they would bring canaries into the mines. When the fragile and sensitive canaries began to die from unhealthy air quality, like the leaves are now, it was a signal for workers to leave the cave or die, too. Likewise, when rivers in the 60's turned the colors of the dyes that were being used in the mills, and fish and water plants died off, it indicated a poisonous waterway. Rivers have no reason that is healthy when they are the colors of christmas napkins or died wool to match the current favorite for dresses.

Strange things do happen in Nature, like the year in the early 1800's when it snowed every month and crops didn't survive. Or the invasion of mice in Nova Scotia that consumed future food stocks and the miricle after that people living there had what they needed to survive, like the Biblical tales of loaves and fishes. Why is failing foliage an ok thing? Or is it what we exprience in 2012 and 2013 to teach us another Eart Day lesson?

Last edited:
Please bear in mind that I have no expertise in matters related to asphalt, and so my question is born of naiveté. As shown in the photo, the damage to the foliage extends high up into the canopy of some rather sizeable trees, some of which are situated on a hillside and are well off the roadway corridor. Would one expect the impact of molten asphalt to be so far reaching?:confused:

Generally, foliage damage on the side of the road like this comes as a result of the road salts used in winter. You'll see the trees directly alongside the road changing color first in the fall.

That could lead one to believe that stretch of vegetation either got a severe overdose this past winter, or got hit with something chemical as a result of the paving project.