Latitude & Longitude for Mt Success Plane Wreck

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyohman

Reaction score
Does anyone have the above they can send me in a PM? I realize this may entail me posting beta for hikes in Washington state (Maine ex-pat). I will be hiking Mt Success this Sunday. Thanks in advance for any tips.

I've read up on info. I believe the wreckage to be in a general east-south direction. The wreckage is within the AT Trail Corridor and has a blaze on it. I suspect being visited with some frequency there are herd paths that exist. Would prefer to have the lat-lon not to waste time. Thanks, Thanks.

Last edited:
Lat Long is not the way to find it. The growth in the area is dense spruce/fir with blowdowns, you will regret trying to do a beeline to it. The far preferable approach is to hike up Success via the Success Trail (realizing that Success Pond road is in very rough shape for at least half the distance to the trailhead). Then hike from the summit south on the AT over a bog with bog bridges and then thru a stand of softwoods. You will very quickly break out into an area of slabs and rocks with great views, follow the AT until if heads into the woods, then turn around and head back to the open area (its very distinct transition)follow the edge of the woods about 150 to 200 feet to a herd path that cuts into the woods, follow this for about 100 feet and you will come out on the AT corridor, take a right and follow the corridor until it starts to slope down and look for a wing which is in the corridor. Once you have spent a bit of time there you will realize that trying to head straight to the plane from the T or anywhere would require a lot of crawling and cussing.

I took a quick look on Google Earth and you may be able to see the fusilage, check out 44 28 01.03 N, 71 02 32.94 W. You can see traces of the southerly AT corridor boundary cut and it lines up pretty well. No guarantees but it would be kind of interesting to confirm. You can see where the boundary gets quite close to the open area, but the herd path is west of that point.

Last edited:
There's NO GPS in Crash Finding!

I was going to agree with Peakbagger until he went and gave you the coordinates anyway. What's with that?

Go thrash about the woods for a while and eventually you will find it. Just like every one else.

Keep in mind that folks died there.

Jim

You will note, I didnt give the coordinates, I just gave the coordinates to a suspicious spot viisible on Google Earth.

There was a bit of memorial in the plane with information on the crash and the the subsequent S&R afew years back

Thanks

to everybody who sent messages. I found it relatively easily with all the directions. Head south on the AT. Look for a fork, one with a cairn to left. Follow the herd path to the AT corridor. Head right. Can't miss it.

I remember when few had been there. I also remember helping to lead two groups there, one on a Saturday, the other on a Sunday, so perhaps I'm to blame? I hope not. My take-away when showing people, and telling the story of survival, was don't take parts of the wreck away with you. Now that there is a geo-chache there, and more and more people writing their names, it's not what it used to be.

The wreck is not complete, parts were salvaged after the wreck via a bulldozer path from a logging road. There used to be trail from the east side via this route but with the heavy logging on that side of the ridge, I expect th path is long gone.