Presi Traverse - Lake of the Clouds to RMC's Gray Knob Questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keep Walking

Reaction score
Hi...My group is doing a presi traverse starting on July 22, 2012. We were planning to do a hut to hut traverse, but huts are full. We were able to get a reservation at Lake of the Clouds on Sunday, July 22, but that was it. We wanted to do Lake to Madison on Monday, but we're not going to be able to stay at Madison. I'm looking for alternatives that do not require tents. I was thinking of RMC's Gray Knob. So, here are my questions:

(1) Does this make sense?

(2) How long of a hike is it from Lake of the Clouds to Gray Knob?

(3) Is there likely to be space at Gray Knob for 5 on Monday July 23 and Tuesday July 24?

(4) Are there two or three cool day trips that we can do from Gray Knob that involve visiting places that we would not visit doing the standard hut to hut traverse?

My gut feeling is that Gray Knob would likely have space on a Monday or Tuesday night. I would personally prefer Crag Camp as the views are outstanding given its location on the edge of King Ravine. But you can do it as you like: if Gray is full, check out Crag. Or spend one night in each place.

First off:
http://www.randolphmountainclub.org/sheltersinfo/grayknob.html

Capacity 15, so you're taking 1/3 of the beds. Should be OK on a Monday & Tuesday. Perch, Crag Camp, and Log Cabin are nearby, so odds of being homeless are low, especially if you get there early (get an early start from Lakes).

The location is near the top of Mt Adams; day trips from there would be to the various Adams peaks, or Mt Jefferson or Mt Madison :) You can be one of the first few hundred people to visit Mt Abigail Adams - it just got that name in late 2010 (was Adams 4). The only waterfall I can think of nearby is Chandler Fall, which in late July won't be very exciting. If you have a day with nothing to do, drop down into King Ravine and play in the Subway - it's a pretty unusual trail. Or head over Adams into the Great Gulf, for both challenge and solitude.

Lakes to Gray Knob is quite feasible in a day - easier than Lakes to Madison. The terrain is a little rough, but the distance is not bad at all, and you can save the summit of Adams for the next day if you like.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=44.29474...1,-71.31037,1.4 km NxNW of Mount Sam Adams NH

Official group size limit is 10, so despite being 1/3 of the beds at Gray (1/4 at Crag), a group of 5 is still well within guidelines.

The Perch get the most use by youth groups. Usually if the weather is nice Crag Camp fills up followed by Gray Knob. The Log Cabin would be a long walk down.

It's a very feasible day, though all the usual warning about above-treeline travel apply. I second a vote for Crag Camp; the view from the dining room alone is worth it. It's a tough 1500' vertical to Adams from there, but remarkable the whole way. There are plenty of day trips from Cray/GK area, depending on how much distance you want to tackle. A day on the King Ravine trails is a fun way to go; Adams Family Tour; a loop up Adams, down Star Lake, and back on Gulfside.... plenty of options.