NH 48 Dirrettisima

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're going to burn through, what, a pair of lithium AA batteries each day with the SPOT in full tracker mode? Good thing lithium AAs are lightweight!

I've got a Spot and the batteries (AAA's) last a lot longer than that in tracking mode. However, I did get sick and tired of paying 5-6 bucks per battery at my local Wall-marde so I turned to eBay and got 2 dozen Energizer AAA's for 20 bucks. They were shipped from somewhere in Asia. Go figure! (I assume they really are Energizers)

What an excellent diversion for the next week (while not watching the Tour de France). Oh wait, can watch both at the same time!

Good luck Ryan and Kristina! Hoping for great weather for you. Go get 'em!!

An offer to "help"

I wonder how many cars have stopped and offered a ride on Rt 2... I bet they've had a few at least! :)

The SPOT either had problems or they got off the road and made camp. If the last ping is accurate it would be around 14 hours of hiking and just shy of 30 miles. Solid start and they may be even further.

SPOT reviews

Reading the reviews on rei.com I'd say their SPOT device might well die long before they finish ...

The SPOT either had problems or they got off the road and made camp. If the last ping is accurate it would be around 14 hours of hiking and just shy of 30 miles. Solid start and they may be even further.

Almost into Gorham! What a brutally long road walk on Route 2. Good thing to just get it done right away, I guess?

Update from the source: They got off the road and camped last night. The Kilkenny trail was a blowdown nightmare and awful blisters and some foot issues forced our dirrettisima duo to stay at Appalachia last night, but they hit the last part of the asphalt this morning and are ready for some more action.

And they have plenty of AAAs for the SPOT that they brought.

Where do we think they will be on Sunday? I may be riding or hiking on Sunday and it would be neat to run into them. Bonds/Twins? I guess it depends on how far they get today...

Tim

It sure looks to me like they may have a bit of "Matt's curse" of overly warm and muggy weather to start the trip. If they can make it to Sunday, the weather looks perfect.

It sure looks to me like they may have a bit of "Matt's curse" of overly warm and muggy weather to start the trip. If they can make it to Sunday, the weather looks perfect.
What's worse is they don't have 40 cans of tunie fish and sour deans (each) for the trip like Mats did. They're gonna get hungry.

-Dr. Wu

The trip started out with a lot of excitement and anticipation. Ryan and I both went into it knowing the pace and outcome would lie in my ability to pull this off. Right at the start the Kilkenny ridge trail was a disaster and it was covered in blowdowns, overgrowth and we even got lost once. Once on Waumbek it was easy going and we were soaking wet but in great spirits! We were ready to tackle the road and started the long trek to Gorham. We made games of counting how many license plates from different states we saw (28 including 2 from Canada) and laughed. Our feet started to hurt so we changed out to dry socks, lubed up the feet and carried on down the road. By the time we got to Appalachia I could barely walk and both of our feet were sore. We both had trench foot and blisters. Mine were worst than Ryans.
Ryan helped me deal with my foot issues and we made the decision to cut the day short and set up camp. We had a great nights sleep and got up at 4am to begin the next leg of the road walk. My feet felt like they were turning into ground beef and we both did not enjoy the pavement. We finally got into town and on the trail to Moriah where I was able to make decent time up to the summit. I did realize that there was no way I could hold 2.5 mph but 2 would be doable. We were happy again and Ryans feet were starting to feel better. On the descent from Moriah my feet completely came apart. I got about 3 more blisters and one was on the ball of my foot. We stopped again and Ryan tried to help me out again with my feet. I started to get the trench on my heel too. By the time we got to North Carter I couldn't even walk 1mph. We talked and I told Ryan I was okay with him going on without me. I could tell he wanted to go but he made the decision to come down with me. It was a hard decision to make and I was mostly dissapointed that I let Ryan down. I could not have done this in 7 days but believe 8 was very realistic. The blisters were getting worse on the way down and I no longer felt bad about bailing.
I learned so much on this trip and it made me want to go back and try this again in the future. Hopefully no blisters next time! It may have only been two days but it felt like a week and I am still smiling from giving it a try and spending a couple of wonderful days with Ryan. :) Thanks to Bob n Geri for helping us out!

You gave it a hell of a try! You need a monk to teach you how to walk on broken glass to toughen youur feet. The road must have been like walking on a fry pan. Heal up. You did good. You'e safe. Very cool spot tracking. Thanks.

Sorry to hear about your short trip. Walking Rt 2 on a hot day for any distance is an endurance event no matter what.

I was always curious if there would be value in bushwhacking down to the Priscilla Brook trail to cut out some of the road walk? The other option would be walking down railtrail versus Rt 2 and then taking the multimodal trail in Gorham. That would cut out a big chunk of the roadwalk and its a darn site more pleasant as it cuts out climbing up and down Gorham Hill. A lot more shade and plenty of brooks to cool off in if need be. The cut over from Rt 2 to the rail bed would be via dirt road near the Randolph town line.

I would be interested in more detail on the bad sections of the KRT. Where was the worst section?

I was sad when I realized that things might not be going well when I checked the SPOT, but very happy that you are out safe and sound.
You gave it your very best effort and accomplished a lot in two days time.

I want to share with you the fact that I really enjoyed your adventure. I had all my maps and guide book out following along, and was so grateful that you shared the SPOT web site with us. Your statement "I learned so much on this trip and it made me want to go back and try this again in the future" says it all. One thing is certain.... you are not a quitter and you will press on to enjoy many incredible adventures. You certainly inspire me and I would bet a number of other folks as well.
Keep on keeping' on! You go girl! Very much look forward to your next trip report! :D:cool::)

I just read this thread and was impressed right from the start. Even though you had to cut it short I'm sure you two can do it next time. I love reading your adventures and look forward to the next chapter.

Great try with tough conditions! I really admire the idea of the Direttisima....there's something very compelling about it.

I'm quite sure I drove by you on route 2 on Thursday evening between Lowe's and Appalachia. You were headed east, I was going west. The only reason I even took notice is that I don't often see backpackers walking that stetch of route 2. Anyway, now that I see this post, I assume it was the two of you.

The other option would be walking down railtrail versus Rt 2 and then taking the multimodal trail in Gorham. That would cut out a big chunk of the roadwalk and its a darn site more pleasant as it cuts out climbing up and down Gorham Hill. A lot more shade and plenty of brooks to cool off in if need be. The cut over from Rt 2 to the rail bed would be via dirt road near the Randolph town line.

Definitely a much more pleasant option IMO as well. I sometimes bike from Randolph to Gorham this way as opposed to over Gorham Hill.

Hope to read about another attempt soon!