RT 2 Trailhead Parking for North Presis

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomcat32

Reaction score
Looking to park at Appalachia Sunday morning. How late is typically too late to get there before it is full? Which lot would be best to head up Kings Ravine way if Appalachia is full?

If the weather is good you should be there by 8 AM. There are a lot of overnighter's at Madison and RMC Huts. It is good size but fills very fast. I've had to park at the sides of the in and off areas before at 8 AM or slightly earlier. Not sure how much if any parking is allowed on the sides of rt 2, I've never been faced with it. 2 miles west is Lowes gas station which allows parking for a small fee. It is use to be $2 and Lowes Path is a hundred yds or so west and across the street. King Ravine is definitely best accessed by Appalachia Parking area but actually starts off Lowes Path. I have used Randolph Path off Lowes before to get to KR and that's not bad, but definitely the preferred and shortest approach is via Appalachia.

There is plenty of parking off the pavement along RT 2. As long as your tires are off the pavement its legal to park. There is always a line of cars in either direction. Please dont block any of the woods road entrances.

There are slots that open up in the morning as folks come down to the hut.

In general dont stress about it.

Parking on the road east of Appalachia can save you a huge .1 miles of flat walking if you're taking Fallsway (which we all know is a bajillion times better than Valley Way xD) since you can see it from the road, you can walk right into the woods and pick up the trail there!

Just kidding, not trying to confuse you, but there is ample parking at Appalachia on the side of the road even if the lot is full. Don't sweat it.

2 years ago I parked at Lowe's for an overnight to King Ravine as I had a van packed with goods for a vacation in Maine. There had been break-ins at Appalachia at the time and I was glad to know that the van would be safe. At the 2nd day, I did find the lower half of Lowe's Path to be a long boring slog.

Last year on a day trip into the ravine, we parked at Appalachia and one of the high spots was on the walk out along the Fallsway past the numerous falls on Snyder Brook. What a relaxing way to end a long day. Highly recommended!