Cloudland Falls and Beyond

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Seaver

Reaction score
Not much to say about the Falling Waters/ Bridal Path Loop that hasn't already been said, but I do have a few pictures to share from a photo project related to that loop ( from July 2). This is one of my favorite loops for running, photography, and just being above treeline - particularly later in the day when you can almost have the place to yourself.

CloudlandFalls.jpg

Cloudland Falls

ShiningRock.jpg

Shining Rock and Scary Clouds

LincolnFromLittleHaystack.jpg

Lincoln in Luscious Light

FlumeAndLibertyFromLittleHaystack.jpg

Busy Skies Above Flume and Liberty from Little Haystack

FranconiaRidgeFromLincoln.jpg

The Upside of Unreasonable Itineraries - Franconia Ridge At Sunset

Great pictures Tim! I especially like the last one. It almost looks like it could be the Great Wall running along the ridge. :)

Did you notice any blowdowns or other trail work that might need done on FWT?

Gorgeous photos. I can't wait to get back on the ridge to revisit some of those places and take more time for photos as well.

Did someone clean out Cloudland Falls? I don't believe I have ever seen it without trees, branches, etc., fallen across some part of it.

Great photos, as always.

Tim

Tim,

Great photos! I love the sky in your pictures...so dramatic looking. I also love the pic of Shining Rock. I was worried about time when I did my FR loop so we didn't hike down to it...now I wish we had. It almost looks scary from your photo. Does the trail drop you off to an intimidating view???

Very nice report and photos.

Karl

Thanks to all!

JacobH - the FWT was clear as far as I can remember, and most of the river xings are pretty easy. IMO, I think FWT is the more "interesting" trail to use for descent from this loop after dark, with the multiple river crossings - the Bridal Path is easier to follow in the dark, but going over Lafayette at dusk can also be a challenge if an evening fog engulfs the summit suddenly and the wind is in your face descending to the hut.

Tim - I think you may be right - I don't normally stop at Cloudland Falls for pictures, probably because it is usually so full of junk that it makes an attractive composition difficult. Not sure if Irene was on that "clean-up" crew.

Karl - the Shining Rock trail brings you down to a small flat in the woods right at the margin of a big slab - it's quite nice!

Last edited:
Nice, Tim! I definitely second the "late start" hike.... no crowds, and great light! As long as you don't mind heading out with a headlamp. Or the occasional concerned hiker offering advice about the time of day and the direction you are heading in.

I was happy to see when I was up on FWT last week that the fallen tree at Cloudland was finally gone. That waterfall has some of the nicest ledge effects.

Great photos, especially the last one.

As always, you see to bring me where I long to be. Thanks. I remember when the trail crossed at the base of Shining Rock. I have an old photo somewhere of a church group slurping from its waters.

I'd like to take credit for clearing the falls, but I'm pretty sure it was Irene. :)

Shining Rock isn't quite as scary as it looks in that picture. The ledge you see is probably 2 feet wide and you can walk out to the end of it (the exposure is maybe 10-15 feet). The view is real nice over to the Kinsmans/Moose/Lonesome Lake. You can also walk down below off to the right down by the trees and explore farther out. The best part about Shining Rock, imo, is that it's basically a giant waterfall with very little flow, just spread across about 100 yards of rock. It's a neat place. :)

Very nice Tim!
It's difficult to pick a favorite photo among so many excellent contenders.
However, if push comes to shove, I'd pick the "Shining Rock and Scary Clouds" photo for its uniqueness!

I won't try to pick a favorite. The light and perspective in each of them is unique (and beautiful). Wonderful images of my favorite place in the Whites.