Mt Washington Sat. 7/7/12, up Huntington Ravine/down Great Gulf

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaze

Reaction score
A few from our grand tour of Mount Washington.

climbing the fan
p164429957-4.jpg

where we're going
p243822071-4.jpg

dancing shoes
p465719777-4.jpg

where we've been
p71591608-4.jpg

gardening
p528255119-4.jpg

sole man
p305212978-4.jpg

adams and madison
p45200763-4.jpg

spaulding lake
p320946995-4.jpg

great gulf cascades
p218047102-4.jpg

An outstanding, challenging day. Pass the Aleve, please? =)

More photos

nice hike guys! 2 of my favorite trails for sure. and waaay cooler than my huntington/davis path traverse hike we overlapped on for a bit last summer.

Wow! That's quite a nice picture of Spaulding Lake! Looks more like a picture you'd expect to see of something out West. I've always seen pictures of Spaulding Lake from at the shore, never a bit above it. Nice job.

-Dr. Wu

Nice pictures - making me jealous since my girlfriend will be doing this on Sunday while I am on the Wildcats with some others.

Michael

Agree with Dr. Wu about Spaulding. I've never actually seen it look so pretty.

Thank you to all for the kind comments!

Agree with Dr. Wu about Spaulding. I've never actually seen it look so pretty.

There is a large boulder on the uphill end of Spaulding Lake - it's a short bushwhack across the lake's inlet stream to reach it. Scramble up the boulder, as we did for the first time on our August 2006 backpack into the Great Gulf and over Mt Washington, and you'll be rewarded with an excellent view over the lake and down the Gulf.

One of our group lost some prescription sunglasses on Saturday, somewhere (we believe) on the Great Gulf Trail. If anyone finds them, please PM me... thanks!

Beautiful pics as always Blaze, nice job.

Was wondering if you were at Madison Hut Sunday, just before noon time? I noticed an SUV at Appalacia with a Scarborough licence plate trim plate, and thought that may have been yours. I think you were with your son.
We were the "Colorful" group sitting in the middle. ;) Pretty decent winds on the Northern peaks yesterday.

good stuff,

Petch

Beautiful pics as always Blaze, nice job.

Was wondering if you were at Madison Hut Sunday, just before noon time? I noticed an SUV at Appalacia with a Scarborough licence plate trim plate, and thought that may have been yours. I think you were with your son.
We were the "Colorful" group sitting in the middle. ;) Pretty decent winds on the Northern peaks yesterday.

good stuff,

Petch

No, that wasn't me!

Wonderful photos and reporting! I've been looking forward to hiking the Huntington Ravine Trail and Great Gulf....hmmmm maybe Friday. Thanks!

Wow, great report and pics! You did a great job with the picture of someone scrambling the rock! Looks scary and intimidating (in my humble opinion!). Love the shot of Spaulding Lake and Great Gulf Cascades too!

Karl

Thanks for the HR pics I have never been up that route when when it wasnt white, and would like to do it this summer.
Great setup for the Spaulding Lake shot too. Its hard to pick up the context of a place like that in a picture. Nice!

I agree, great shot of Spaulding. Good lord to see that place 20 years ago and the amount of abuse it took from bootleg campsites right on the Lake. It was almost impossible to brush them back in. Thanks to the re-route of the trail years ago, it certainly made a bit of a difference. Well captured, thank you.

Thank you to all for the kind comments!

There is a large boulder on the uphill end of Spaulding Lake - it's a short bushwhack across the lake's inlet stream to reach it. Scramble up the boulder, as we did for the first time on our August 2006 backpack into the Great Gulf and over Mt Washington, and you'll be rewarded with an excellent view over the lake and down the Gulf.

One of our group lost some prescription sunglasses on Saturday, somewhere (we believe) on the Great Gulf Trail. If anyone finds them, please PM me... thanks!

Thanks for this info -- a visit to Spaulding Lake is on my summer to do list