The Franconia Range via...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH Tramper

Reaction score
Trails: I hiked the Franconia Range, South to North: Mt. Flume, Mt. Liberty, Little Haystack Mountain, Mt. Lincoln, and Mt. Lafayette. This was done via the Pemi Trail and Bike Path, Liberty Spring Trail, Flume Slide Trail, Franconia Ridge Trail, Greenleaf Trail, Old Bridle Path, and again the Pemi Trail and Bike Path (this time all the way back to the trailhead).

Date of Hike: Jul 8, 2012

Trail Conditions: Dry and summer-normal except for the Flume Slide Trail which was muddier than I expected it to be. All easy to avoid. There was one blowdown, an easy over, also on the Flume Slide Trail if I recall. Parts of the Flume Slide Trail and some southern parts of the Franconia Ridge Trail were in need of trimming. The corridor is getting tight in places. Count on wet arms on a dewy morning or after a rain.

Special Equipment Required: None.

Comments: Great day for a hike. No bugs, nice breezes, comfy temps, sunny with great views (though clouds clung to a position just over the Lafayette and Lincoln summits a lot). Met a bunch of nice people, including VFTTers Bob and Geri and their cute little dog outside the Greenleaf Hut. Bob informed me faster ATers would be starting to pass through pretty soon. Funny, not two hours after he told me this I met and talked briefly with an AT thru-hiker originally from Florida. Nice guy with all kinds of cool info and stories. I also met and chatted with a NHFS "Alpine Steward" volunteer near Little Haystack; cool job! Lastly, I finally got to see those little experimental windbreak thingies up close. Interesting.

ETA: Almost forgot. I met this young guy from Long Island, a first-time hiker carrying a gallon jug of water, wearing Vans or Converse sneakers, headed up in mid-afternoon, but he was completely enthralled with the views and beauty of it all. We chatted a bit about some of the animals in the area and what not. What a nice fellow. I told him about HikeSafe and questioned him about his goals for the day to make sure his chances of success were high (all doable).

Mike "Tramper" Cherim
Nottingham NH

Last edited: