White Mountain Redlining Workbook (29th Edition)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I misunderstanding the spreadsheet or is there no allowance for partial completion of a trail between certain junctions?

Am I misunderstanding the spreadsheet or is there no allowance for partial completion of a trail between certain junctions?

In the "Mileage To Do" column, just subtract the distance of the section you hiked. This will give you partial completion of that trail.

Oh, that's what I'm supposed to do? That's backward. It should start at zero and I should write in the mileage I hiked (which I know) not have to do math in my head in order to fill in a number in the spreadsheet.

That's okay, I can fix my own copy to function the right way around. Thanks for the explanation.

Oh, that's what I'm supposed to do? That's backward.

It's structured the same way Tony Federer's 28th Edition spreadsheet was. It's faster to enter "0" to denote a finished trail rather than look up the total trail distance and enter that to denote finished.

It's structured the same way Tony Federer's 28th Edition spreadsheet was. It's faster to enter "0" to denote a finished trail rather than look up the total trail distance and enter that to denote finished.

Except the total distance is in the column immediately to the left. :)

To each their own, my copy is now the way I like it. Everything works on the Mac imported into Numbers except for the conditional formatting to make the little %-finished bar graphs. I haven't tried it on the iOS version of Numbers yet.

I'm always impressed when someone creates something like this and then shares it. The fact that you kept the same functionality as the previous editions share-sheet might be helpful to users familiar with it.

It seems to me that it would be handiest if it listed every trail segment, like this:

Crawford Path
XXXXHighland Center to Route 302
XXXXRoute 302 to Crawford Connector
XXXXCrawford Connector to Gibbs Falls spur
XXXXGibbs Falls spur to Mizpah Cut-off

and so forth, and you just checked off each segment. That way you don’t have to figure out which parts you have and haven’t done yet.

While it would be easy to mark off segments in the workbook, it would also make for MUCH longer pages within it also making it harder to find a section in the list. I've had to look through the list twice sometimes as it is to find a particular trail. It would also include some very short sections where intersections are close to each other. Would these get labeled as 0.1 or 0.0 miles?

Before I downloaded the workbook from here, I had actually just purchased a second map (no more than $10) and started marking off trails with an orange sharpie. This is great for a quick visual of what you have and have not done. It's also great for thinking up loops to hit trails you haven't gotten to yet as well. It does pose the same problem as above with the intersections that are very close to each other to make sure you don't color over the wrong spot of trail.

It seems to me that it would be handiest if it listed every trail segment, like this:

Crawford Path

and so forth, and you just checked off each segment. That way you don’t have to figure out which parts you have and haven’t done yet.

Tis true. It's also worth noting that the AMC guide didn't give segment mileage for every single junction. I've done some of the segment work though. PM your email and I'll send you what I have. :)

What a great tool and so nice to have shared it!
However..... I still prefer my old school map and marker method.

Crawford Path

Actually, I created an evolved version of Tony Federer's spreadsheet, for the WMG 29th edition, that allows hikes to be recorded in this format. And, because hikes are logged to include the date, the spreadsheet also tracks progress towards the Grid, and the NH4ks in Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall. I even put it on the web, at https://sites.google.com/site/northeastredlines/home. However, I haven't found the energy to figure out how to "promote" the site so that it shows up in searches, and so the spreadsheet lives on in anonymity. If anyone is interested in trying it out, it's there to download. Any feedback would be welcome.