Bushwhacking - How far will you go??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CINDERSMOM

Reaction score
I just got back from the Maine "6 pack" and was wondering -I had a hard time finding a good "herd path" up to Whitecap. So I decided to look around at the top for a better way down. I found a very used herd path that dropped me onto a very nice four wheeler trail. The trail was new with fresh cut brush, it was very wide and very easy to walk on. However it was not really heading back to my vehicle. I stayed on this trail for about 10 minutes just to enjoy some easy walking. I kept wondering should I stay on it or follow the compass. It has to come out at a road somewhere. So the question is how far/long would you stay on a good trail that isn't really going in the right direction in the hopes that it will eventually turn into the right direction? I have whacked with other who won't even think about a trail if it goes the wrong way. I always want to take the easy trail far too long, and have to convince myself that I need to get back in the woods if I want to get back to my vehicle.

That's easy: it depends.

Say I'm on a many-day backpacking trip in Alaska, where my destination for the next day or three is "through that pass over there." If I'm in a valley choked with willow, you can bet I'm taking any moose trail that goes within 90 degrees of my desired direction and/or gets me above treeline.

Say I'm hunting for the exact highest point of a 2000-footer in Massachusetts, in a maple forest. You can bet I won't stay on a winding ATV trail for more than a few paces.

ATV trails are very hard to predict - they often curve around just for the sake of fitting a longer ride onto a relatively small property. At the other extreme, old railroad grades are very predictable - they have to follow the least-steep path available. Logging roads are in between - usually laid out in a sensible compromise between slope and distance, but you can't always guess which area will be the final destination or exactly how many branches there will be along the way.

That's easy: it depends.

Say I'm on a many-day backpacking trip in Alaska, where my destination for the next day or three is "through that pass over there." If I'm in a valley choked with willow, you can bet I'm taking any moose trail that goes within 90 degrees of my desired direction and/or gets me above treeline.

Say I'm hunting for the exact highest point of a 2000-footer in Massachusetts, in a maple forest. You can bet I won't stay on a winding ATV trail for more than a few paces.

ATV trails are very hard to predict - they often curve around just for the sake of fitting a longer ride onto a relatively small property. At the other extreme, old railroad grades are very predictable - they have to follow the least-steep path available. Logging roads are in between - usually laid out in a sensible compromise between slope and distance, but you can't always guess which area will be the final destination or exactly how many branches there will be along the way.
nartreb got it right for the different cases of "it depends".
Often when bushwhacking in my part of the world (western Adirondaks) I might come across long abandoned ancient log skidder trails. If one is heading in "almost" the right direction I am tempted to follow it, even though at times it may be more difficult travel because of tall thorny blackberry bushes or dense and stunted "new" spruce or other growth. But if the going is relatively easy then it becomes a navigation trap for the unaware, in that it is all too easy to not pay attention to cumulative subtle direction changes and speed. I often tell my students that getting on such an unknown trail is more dangerous (navigation wise) than bushwhacking. Losing account of direction and location is far easier than if I were to just bushwhack my way along using natural terrain and making sense of travel, rather than blindly following some unknown path leading me off my intended course. Because of increased lighting the vegetation along the sides of any such trail is often thicker, reducing visibility of the surroundings and making navigation by terrain even more challenging. If I have the time I might follow it for some distance just to place at least a mental map of its path, but rarely is it useful for traveling very far toward my planned destination.

I've gotten burned following woods roads for extensive periods of time so I generally stick to the compass or sometimes follow the road so long as it matches my compass bearing.... One thing too is that it's generally easier to try to orient yourself to the topography if you're closer to your "last known location" with dead reckoning techniques, etc. And it's easier if you follow a straightish line, more so than wood roads that curve around and stuff..

Of course, there are a lot of variables. i.e. if the road is shown on a map that you are fairly certain you are on and you can plot the course of the woods road..

Jay

Until it no longer serves me any purpose. How do I know exactly when that is? I don't!

Game trails usually last 50 feet before curving off or dissipating into nothing.

Well, today I just did a lot of bushwhacking parallel to a snowmobile trail that went exactly where I wanted to go so I should have stuck with it longer. Even more annoying, at least 4 times today I hit some sort of path and later when I referred to the big compass in the sky saw that I turned the wrong direction!

There is an old trip report here about a guy who bushwhacked up and followed a path down the far side to see where it went, then hitchhiked 30 miles around IIRC.

I wouldn't go very far unless I knew 100% where I was and had an idea where I would finish. I like a road, river or significant land mark that I could ID to tell me when I went too far and to use it to find my way back.

Basically I want to know where I am and know where I want to go within landmarks that bracket me. I can wander around for a while confused but I won't be lost. If hit one of my limits it may be a long walk back but I'm safe.

I don't bushwack in the dacks, it's real tough going off trail. Back home and in open woods you are never far from a road.

Getting hurt while bushwacking is a greater concen.

Unmarked paths that take me where I was originally trying to get to anyways are boring. It's when a path is taking me in completely the opposite direction, and I have no idea where I'll end up, that things really start to get fun and exciting! :)

I've definitely changed my entire itinerary for a day on a whim just because I found some new unmarked path, and really wanted to see where it would take me.

Unmarked paths that take me where I was originally trying to get to anyways are boring. It's when a path is taking me in completely the opposite direction, and I have no idea where I'll end up, that things really start to get fun and exciting! :)

I've definitely changed my entire itinerary for a day on a whim just because I found some new unmarked path, and really wanted to see where it would take me.
SAR folks would like a word with you....:p

SAR folks would like a word with you....:p

Changing your itinerary doesn't make a difference when you don't tell anyone else what the initial itinerary was to begin with... ;)

ZNmr1.jpg

Gene Daniels seemed to have the reputation of doing group trips that on occasion endedup on the wrong side of the mountain or miles away from where the cars were parked. I guess thats not as much of an option these days when GPS's beep when someone wanders away from an preprogramed course.

If I'm bushwhacking and I come across a road or path, that is within 90 degrees of my bearing I will almost always follow it for a short while. The exception would be wide open woods with easy footing.

During the time on the road, I'm evaluating the road vs. the off trail route. I track, on the back burner of my mind, the amount of time on the road and the rough average of the deviation off of my bearing. You can get the deviation by looking at the angle from the compass needle vs. the "box" arrow aka "shed" on the bezel of the compass. So I might think, for example, 10 minutes at 30 degrees left of bearing. When traveling close to a bearing or on a well defined off trail route (such as following along a ridge) I won't look at the compass often, but playing the game of following a road off bearing I keep the compass in my hand and look at it every 20 sec of so.

So how long I stay on the road depends on how far I've deviated from the route vs. the relative difficulty of traveling in the woods. It is a constant decision making process - how far out of the way vs the improved progress.

Then eventually when I leave this road I know the correction needed to get back on track.

This is the same way I navigate even without the road. I look at my bearing and immediately find the easiest route to go in that direction. It might mean that I'm wandering far to the left or right but always tracking my deviation. I once had someone ask me if I knew I was off bearing by 30 degrees for 20 minutes, Of course, but it was the better and faster route.

Evaluating the difficulty of traveling in the woods is based on the visable route and estimated non-visable route speculated upon by years of expereince and subtle changes in the forest lighting / shadows, grades, etc. One insight here, the information about route difficulty is dependent upon finding little holes of open woods in a forest (that may seem like a sea of inpenetrable spruce) Seeing those holes depends on your vantage point which changes every few feet. So as I walk, I constantly make note of the holes - left, right, near, far, infront, on the back azmith, on the route I'm on, and on the ridge next to mine, etc - and then use that "data" for route decision making. Over the years I have developed a swaying motion when moving or even waiting during off trail travel. I've noticed that in one spot you might not see a particular point of interest such as an old blaze or an opening in the woods but with your head 1ft to the left it becomes visible. The sway moves my head to a different vantage point and improves the things I can see.

If the woods are really crappy then I'll make an exception to the 90 degree rule and follow a new found road, away from my bearing, on the chance that it curves around more toward where I'm heading. This has happened more than once. It usually happens when the road switches back or follows a contour

Last edited:
Gene Daniels seemed to have the reputation of doing group trips that on occasion endedup on the wrong side of the mountain or miles away from where the cars were parked. I guess thats not as much of an option these days when GPS's beep when someone wanders away from an preprogramed course.

I think you have the wrong name here, Gene was pretty good but there were others who weren't :)

I think you have the wrong name here, Gene was pretty good but there were others who weren't :)

Yeah I remember one leader jovially (is that a word) saying I may not be able to predict where we're coming out of the woods but I have cars staged on every trailhead around this mountain.