Air National Guard Training this week in Northern NH and VT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
There are several visiting air guard units based out of Burlington this week. Expect more than normal rumbling overhead in the region.

There is nothing more startling than a serene hike interrupted by a screaming Warthog coming over the mountain at low altitude from out of nowhere. :eek:

Used to see them a lot around Waterville Valley. No matter how many times, it was still a frightening sight.

There is nothing more startling than a serene hike interrupted by a screaming Warthog coming over the mountain at low altitude from out of nowhere. :eek:

Used to see them a lot around Waterville Valley. No matter how many times, it was still a frightening sight.

I was hiking on Mt. Monadnock one time just getting ready to put my camera away on the summit when I thought "what is that noise?" 3 A-10 jets came in just above the summit and made a 90 degree right turn around the peak. Needless to say my camera quickly came back out. The third jet was showing off a bit as he made the turn.
170453722_HVEAc-M.jpg

I happen to know quite personally an F-16 pilot. He said when when he was deployed in Iraq the biggest and most important part of his mission was to fly low and loud over the Iraqi opposition in support of our troops on the ground. A strong show of force was far more effective than pulling the trigger and thus creating more terrorists from orphaned surviving sons and daughters. Training low and with precision flying is critical.

Last edited:
Definitely been noticing this the past couple days up in the Lincoln area. F-16 type planes the first day at high altitude, then more A-10 looking the second day a little lower.

It must get interesting when the gliders out of Franconia are up at the same time.

It must get interesting when the gliders out of Franconia are up at the same time.

Eh, a few rounds from the 30mm cannon on the A-10 should take care of them. :)

Yeah, but the heat-seeking missiles won't work :)

I remember a number of years ago the Adirondack Council pointed out that some areas of the Adk were off-limits to low-flying aircraft and published silhouettes of various US fighters along with an 800 number for the Strategic Air Command you could call to complain. (I hadn't realized they had an 800 number but what if the President wants to start WW III and doesn't have enough quarters for a pay phone?) Offering Stinger missiles to hikers in those areas could have been better enforcement.

Yeah, but the heat-seeking missiles won't work :)

I remember a number of years ago the Adirondack Council pointed out that some areas of the Adk were off-limits to low-flying aircraft and published silhouettes of various US fighters along with an 800 number for the Strategic Air Command you could call to complain. (I hadn't realized they had an 800 number but what if the President wants to start WW III and doesn't have enough quarters for a pay phone?) Offering Stinger missiles to hikers in those areas could have been better enforcement.
Hmmm, I think you are referring to a Public Affairs Office number for the Air National Guard, not the Strategic Air Command (SAC). SAC in the day (it no longer exists since the demise of the cold war) would not have had any authority over low level fighter flights. SAC commanded bombers (e.g. B-52s), refueling tankers (KC-135s), and ICBMs. There is a bombing range in restricted air and ground space for electronic targeting near Fort Drum, maintained by the Army. The B-52s would fly on simulated low level scored bombing runs on tracks that were not at all over public areas of the Adirondacks. Most likely the flights you object to with threats of stinger retaliation were out of Syracuse or Burlington ANG, which have their own designated areas of restricted air space for training, some of it over approved low population areas of the Adirondacks and elsewhere.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I think you are referring to a Public Affairs Office number for the Air National Guard, not the Strategic Air Command (SAC). SAC in the day (it no longer exists since the demise of the cold war) would not have had any authority over low level fighter flights. SAC commanded bombers (e.g. B-52s), refueling tankers (KC-135s), and ICBMs. There is a bombing range in restricted air and ground space for electronic targeting near Fort Drum, maintained by the Army. The B-52s would fly on simulated low level scored bombing runs on tracks that were not at all over public areas of the Adirondacks. Most likely the flights you object to with threats of stinger retaliation were out of Syracuse or Burlington ANG, which have their own designated areas of restricted air space for training, some of it over approved low population areas of the Adirondacks and elsewhere.

Or perhaps Plattsburgh before it was closed in 1995. I think Syracuse had a squad of F-16s til 2010...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/138th_Fighter_Squadron

I have seen A-10s in and around Keene, NY in the ADKs before...Always a cool experience..

Jay

Or perhaps Plattsburgh before it was closed in 1995. I think Syracuse had a squad of F-16s til 2010...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/138th_Fighter_Squadron

I have seen A-10s in and around Keene, NY in the ADKs before...Always a cool experience..

Jay
Plattsburgh AFB briefly had B-52s some time ago, then the FB-111 until 1990, at which time it was a tanker only base until it closed. No fighter jets were assigned there. Griffiss AFB in Rome had the the B-52 and KC-135 until its flying mission closed. The F-106 fighter squadron at Griffiss was decommissioned in 1987.

Let's just say that I have a longer memory than some members of this group :)

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/10/10/nyregion/test-flights-start-today-over-adirondack-park.html

Of course one can argue whether an FB-111 is a fighter or a bomber :)

Let's just say that I have a longer memory than some members of this group :)
Ok, you got me for that particular one-time exercise event. At another time there was a publicized process for calling to the ANG for complaining about fighter flights and the sometimes accidental sonic booms.

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/10/10/nyregion/test-flights-start-today-over-adirondack-park.html

Of course one can argue whether an FB-111 is a fighter or a bomber :)
The F-111 was the fighter designation. The FB-111 (B for bomber) was SAC's version. Longer wings, beefier landing gear and bomb racks for a different mission.