Anyone planning an End Of The World Hike 12/21/12 ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
It's a Friday. Next day is probably the bird count, so we could tell Puck we'll participate and then won't need to when we all spin off into space.
Might be a good traverse/night hike. Waxing moon, just past 1st quarter. Maybe some fireworks on a ridge ? Just thinking.

Need to pick a spot with a good view of sky to watch the stars stars going out ;) ( an obscure reference to a couple of old science fiction stories)

Last edited:
It's a Friday. Next day is probably the bird count, so we could tell Puck we'll participate and then won't need to when we all spin off into space.

No such luck the AMC has set the date for Dec 15th. What beter way to end the world by counting birds.

I will be free for this hike of yours. Everyone knows christmas shopping is uselss this year.

(BTW has anyone ever noticed thatthe Mayan calendar looks like an Oreo cookie? Not that I spend any time aimlessly staring at oreo cookies)

As it turns out, for the End of the World I'll be attending a benefit Christmas Concert and bringing my son to an audition. So I can't be there that day/weekend. Anyone who wants to run with this is welcome to. Good Luck !

It's the 21st? Wow. I thought it was the 12th. Nine whole days more to live. Maybe I'll start on that 48 thing...

I didn't realize the "end of the world" was also the first day of Winter! Nice!! (anyone know off hand what time "winter" starts that day?)

I've heard that it is midnight on the 21st, since midnight is 12:00AM, wouldn't you have to hike on thursday? Maybe we need to find out if these are AMC rules or ADK rules... Maybe one can start just before Midnight...

Jay

(anyone know off hand what time "winter" starts that day?)
The solstice is at 06:12 EST on the 21st.

Am headed for Owls Head as a winter opener. Fortunately, this year's 6:14am time is great for the peakbaggers.

It's the 21st? Wow. I thought it was the 12th. Nine whole days more to live. Maybe I'll start on that 48 thing...

IF you really work at it, I bet you could go out in style with a 48 patch! Quite work. We won't need $$$! :D

Have both a 12/12/12 hike and a 12/21/12 hike.

Am taking a group on a 12/12/12 hike to #12 (North Twin) with the attempt to hit the summit at 12:12. If Haystack road is open and we hit South Twin it should be about 12 miles. We did an 11 mile hike on 11/11/11 hike to #11 (Eisenhower) but missed the summit by about 5 minutes.

http://www.meetup.com/random-hikers/events/47154152/

As for the end of the world, I have to work in the AM (just in case the world doesn't end) so I have to stay local so going to hike "Worlds End Park" (where else would you want to be) in Hingham, MA.

http://www.meetup.com/random-hikers/events/45185742/

Wow, this must be the first time I'm the optimist, I planned a 12/22 hike.

I must be an optimist too. I plan to get out on 12/22 or 12/23 before it's time to bake pies and host Christmas Eve at my house. Can't wait to add another winter hike to Mt. Bond, Bondcliff, Pierce, Lafayette and Lincoln.