Lincoln Brook Tr Past Owls Head Slide

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
HI all!

I was wondering if anyone has been past the Owls Head slide along the Lincoln Brook trail...I'm thinking of doing a long loop around Owls Head and visiting Thirteen Falls. I've heard that it is tough to follow in places at the height of land. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Thanks in advance!

HI all!

I was wondering if anyone has been past the Owls Head slide along the Lincoln Brook trail...I'm thinking of doing a long loop around Owls Head and visiting Thirteen Falls. I've heard that it is tough to follow in places at the height of land. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Thanks in advance!

Looks like some good recent info in this report!
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?45566-Hancocks-Bonds-Zeal-Hale-Twins-Gale-Gar-Owls-Flume-Lib-Linc-Laf

I made that trip earlier this summer, over Memorial Day weekend. That section of trail is rough but I really liked it. I found it more attractive than the southern section of the LBT. You will probably get wet, muddy feet, and plants will touch you in the more overgrown areas.

Leaving the OH Slide area the trail will bang right, uphill and away from the stream, after a few minutes, while a herd path goes straight and fizzles out pretty quick. From there we found it pretty easy to follow until the height of land. This area is flat and wet. You pretty much follow the muddy "stream" forward - it was probably the trail at one point, but not much sign of trail anymore. You may even notice an old blaze or two along this section to confirm you're on the right track. At one point we got following a stream that was moving, clear water, but we quickly noticed it was turning us in the wrong direction. The descent had solid, rocky footing, but was reasonably easy to follow.

By the way, it may not be quite as lightly travelled as you think: In the two days that we were on the Lincoln Brook Trail (we overnighted near the slide) we spoke to or met at least 15 people, including the two of us, that had come through there. There were plenty of footprints in the muddy section to help guide us. When we got on the wrong stream it was because we were trying to go through the woods around the mud. Just stay in the mud and you should be fine.
-vegematic

Do it!

Went through back in late May for the first time and only scratched my head once or twice. If you're reasonably skilled in route-finding I don't think you'll have much trouble. It is quite muddy along the section near the height of land, but also wild and very beautiful. Judging from your past trip reports I know you'll find it interesting.

Pictures 13-23 were along this section to 13 falls.