Water situation at Guyot Campsite?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csprague

Reaction score
Hello all,

A group of us is planning a single overnight this coming weekend, Twin Mountain to Lincoln Woods, with an overnight at Guyot. Due to how dry it's been, we're wondering what the water situation is along the trail, and specifically, at Guyot Campsite. If it is scarce, it will affect our planning (no-cook meals, more water carried, etc).

Also, are there any reliably available campsite either at Lincoln Woods or near our start at North Twin (or anywhere along the way)? We're spotting cars on either end and would like to get a reasonably early start so we can enjoy ourselves and take our time.

Thanks!

Chris

There's a spring near the shelter (short walk downhill); I've never heard of it going dry. But I wouldn't count on water anywhere else along the ridge once you get up on North Twin, until you get down into the "canyon" on the south of Bondcliff. (If you have trouble early, you can drop down to Galehead hut, but it's almost as easy to continue to Guyot shelter - longer but flatter)

Lots of roadside camping options: http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/whitemountain/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=74405&actid=29
Spitting distance from Lincoln Woods: Hancock.
near Twin Mountain: Sugarloaf and Zealand.
In between: Lafayette (in state park): http://www.reserveamerica.com/campi...roundDetails.do?contractCode=NH&parkId=270044

Thanks. Does anybody know how reliable the sites along Haystack and Gale River roads are?

Chris

I suspect it depends what time you get there.

On Friday the 13th at 5pm, Gale River Road had one site available, FR304 had 5 sites available.

Also, the spring at Guyot is running fine. I'm sure we'd hear about it, if it was not.

Guyot spring was just fine Saturday afternoon. Tanked up there on my Zealand to LW hike. Chatted with the caretaker for a bit. I asked about filtering, he said he was "required by law" to recommend filtering, but he drank the water unfiltered. I didn't bother filtering either...

I had forgotten how much elevation you loose dropping down from the trail to the campsite. Oof.

That is a LOT of vertical to the site, at least it feels like it anyway...I thought that was a very reliable spring, was up there during a very dry spell a few years back. Have a great trip.

I had forgotten how much elevation you loose dropping down from the trail to the campsite. Oof.
Yup, that's a tough one. We're planning the same hike soon and I'd rather just carry 3 liters from Zealand Hut rather than drop down to the shelter/spring from the ridge.

I got burned last year at the stream south of Bondcliff summit in the "canyon". It was dry, as we went down the trail we could hear it running under the rocks but we waited until the crossing down lower.

I do not recomend not filtering the water at Guyot. There is a lot of use on the ridgeline above the campsite. Just because a caretake doesnt have an issue doesnt mean you wont. Then again it takes three days for giardia to kick in.

Just in case anyone discounts Peakbagger's comment, let's be clear that by "use" he means "people who ignore the signs saying it's the watershed for the Guyot spring and both camp & poop there."

I do not recomend not filtering the water at Guyot. There is a lot of use on the ridgeline above the campsite. Just because a caretake doesnt have an issue doesnt mean you wont.
Agreed!

Another caretaker in the past told me he has seen evidence of dogs in the drainage. Not all dogs use the outhouses, and not all owners clean up, or even know.
it takes three days for giardia to kick in.
1-3 weeks, with the onset of symptoms typically occurring around 12 days. A significant number of people already host without symptoms (as high as 40% in some estimates but more commonly agreed to be around 15-20%). Another significant % will not experience serious or long-lasting symptoms. But the 50-60% who do suffer will likely filter ALL backcountry water for the rest of their lives.

Last edited:
Agreed!

Another caretaker in the past told me he has seen evidence of dogs in the drainage. Not all dogs use the outhouses, and not all owners clean up, or even know.
1-3 weeks, with the onset of symptoms typically occurring around 12 days. A significant number of people already host without symptoms (as high as 40% in some estimates but more commonly agreed to be around 15-20%). Another significant % will not experience serious or long-lasting symptoms. But the 50-60% who do suffer will likely filter ALL backcountry water for the rest of their lives.

Amen brother.

To filter or not to filter, that is the question...

My brothers and I camped at the Guyot site a number of years back. I don't remember asking the Caretaker if we should bother filtering our water from the spring, I just assumed we should, and we did. Unfortunately due to the carelessness of others, even water found at the higher elevations should be considered suspect and appropriately filtered.

I'd rather go to the bother of filtering, than treating myself, or for that matter, others in our camping party for giardia, or other human/animal related stomach or intestinal maladies. A penny worth of prevention is worth a pound of cure, or some such. :D

--LivesToHike

As of yesterday the spring at Guyot had no problems with water. The upper two stream crossings on the Bondcliff trail were bone dry.