Terror Bagging: Caps, Hubbies and Sphinx

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Kittredge

Reaction score
Saturday, July 14

Working on the Terrifying 25 list. I need the Sphinx Trail, but it's way the hell into the Great Gulf wilderness. How to do it? At breakfast at Sub Sig it occurs to me - Up Caps Ridge, down 6 Husbands, up Great Gulf and the Sphinx then back along Gulfside and Cornice to Caps. A mere 10 miles (and 4900' of vertical). I propose it to the group, strong hikers all, average age 65, and the idea is received enthusiastically.

The five of us hit the trail about 8AM. Nice, warm, hazy day, gentle breezes. The climb to Jefferson goes well and we loll about for a while taking in the views and chatting. Now for the fun. Down to Jefferson's Knee and over the edge. Here's where you fully realize why 6 Husbands is on the list: steep cliffs, ladders, boulder caves. Downclimbing this stuff takes fully as long as upclimbing it, and is almost as strenuous. We get lost in the boulder caves for a while (damn wilderness ban on blazing!) before we get it sorted out and finally make it down to the West Branch of the Peabody. Easy crossing, stop for lunch.

Now up the Great Gulf Trail where we meet a surprising number of other hikers. A little ways up the Sphinx there is a huge mass of downed trees which the "trail" now goes over. A naked hillside looms above, likely one of Hurricane Irene's contributions to the topography. This narrow trail follows a lovely stream with lots of scenic waterfalls. Doesn't seem all that terrifying but it sure is steep, wet, and strenuous. I'm starting to drag. ("Whose insane idea was this hike anyway?"). I refill a water bottle from the cold stream and don't bother to treat it. At last we top out in the col (very pretty). The black flies that the others have been complaining about are finally starting to notice me. ("Oh goodie!") Three more miles of mostly downhill with a bunch of downclimbing still to do. We drag our weary butts out of the woods about 7PM. It's been an 11-hour, 10-mile hike, but aside from sunburn, scratches, scrapes and bug bites, we're all fine.

So what's next on the list?

Very nice, BoB! Here is your "greenie"! :D ( I wish :cool:was green, but you can pretend.)

I think I would have done your route in the reverse direction

I once did a similar route back when I was trail-bagging: Ammo Ravine, Wamsutta, Sphinx, Jewell for 4 all-new trails with some new and some repeat connectors

The five of us hit the trail about 8AM. Nice, warm, hazy day, gentle breezes. The climb to Jefferson goes well and we loll about for a while taking in the views and chatting. Now for the fun. Down to Jefferson's Knee and over the edge. Here's where you fully realize why 6 Husbands is on the list: steep cliffs, ladders, boulder caves. Downclimbing this stuff takes fully as long as upclimbing it, and is almost as strenuous. We get lost in the boulder caves for a while (damn wilderness ban on blazing!) before we get it sorted out and finally make it down to the West Branch of the Peabody. Easy crossing, stop for lunch.

Now up the Great Gulf Trail where we meet a surprising number of other hikers. A little ways up the Sphinx there is a huge mass of downed trees which the "trail" now goes over. A naked hillside looms above, likely one of Hurricane Irene's contributions to the topography. This narrow trail follows a lovely stream with lots of scenic waterfalls. Doesn't seem all that terrifying but it sure is steep, wet, and strenuous. So what's next on the list?

Hi Bob, I'm loving these trip reports as it will be at least two years before we finish our own list. We don't have the time to do all the hikes we'd like to do this summer, and I want the girls to be taller before they attempt Huntington Ravine Trail (greater height means greater ease of reaching various holds).

You went DOWN Six Husbands? :eek: From everything I've heard about that trail, that must have taken some guts!

It's interesting to hear which trails folks find frightening and which trails folks find tame. We created this list blind, going only on trail descriptions and the advice of many hikers (many of whom were/are VFTT members). I've shifted the list around a few times and finally decided to finalize it -- don't want it going through changes every other month -- so I hope you're finding the list reasonably challenging. If some trails aren't as frightening as you'd like, then I hope they are at least scenic. :)

I think I would have done your route in the reverse direction

I went up 6 Husbands a few years ago and thought it might be "fun" to try it the other way.

I find that I'm more aware of "exposure" on descent rather than ascent. The Hunt Trail on Katahdin is a perfect example of this. Plus it's more difficult to find the footholds when you're downclimbing rather than upclimbing and it feels more precarious.

quite a hike, Bob! Six Husbands Tr is the scariest trail I've ever hiked because so often you're looking straight up at huge boulders. Which one is ready to roll? :eek:

Nice report Bob. It was great to see you guys Sunday. Sorry you missed the icecream sandwiches!