Deer Flies in the North Country

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I was out in Milan on Sunday near York Pond and the deer flies were swarming. When I got in the truck I trapped about 20 of them that had been buzzing around. Probably not bad when moving but they would be extermely annoying if camping without a screened in tent. I think they are worse than normal this year.

When they are really bad, I confess I sometimes walk by or stand near someone to give them the oppty to share or be adopted by my person fly. :eek:
That's a well used technique some of us call "Duke-ing", named after a rather tall (important characteristic for this) lovable lanky outdoors guy long known with nickname Marmaduke. When you are being bothered by flies (which are most often attracted to the highest part of your anatomy), you need to sidle up to a tall buddy and engage in simple conversation. When sufficiently close, drop down your stance a bit, or if lucky you can stand in a depression or on the downhill side of your pal. In short order you will be free of the buzzing, it having been transferred to your best friend. Then you are free (while maintaining a low profile) to skittle away until the next thought pops into your head for a revisit. :D

yes!

I ordered some of those flystrips for my hiking hat from Amazon.

If you want to read some amusing comments and some strange pictures of deer fly traps you may want to check this thread on a wood burners site http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/deer-fly-traps.51511/page-2#post-1140928. Not sure if I want the blue cup yet:)

Those things are awesome. I spent a week in the north Maine woods. I would have paid 4x for them (don't tell them that!) they work so well. One afternoon's hike, 45 or so flies on it, NOT A SINGLE BITE! I ordered even more for this year's trip.

BTW, I don't think the color makes much difference. Over at the Alpinezone forum, one guy who is particularly knowledgeable about flying pests said that deer flies do indeed follow motion, follow behind you and light two or three times before they decide to bite. That's why the strips work so well. Nab 'em before they bite!

Don't work for mosquito, only for deer fly.

"That's a well used technique some of us call "Duke-ing", named after a rather tall (important characteristic for this) lovable lanky outdoors guy long known with nickname Marmaduke. When you are being bothered by flies (which are most often attracted to the highest part of your anatomy), you need to sidle up to a tall buddy and engage in simple conversation. When sufficiently close, drop down your stance a bit, or if lucky you can stand in a depression or on the downhill side of your pal. In short order you will be free of the buzzing, it having been transferred to your best friend. Then you are free (while maintaining a low profile) to skittle away until the next thought pops into your head for a revisit."

This has been done to me inadvertently and on purpose many times ( is the other Peak_bgr or Bushwhacker following this thread ?). :eek:

"That's a well used technique some of us call "Duke-ing", named after a rather tall (important characteristic for this) lovable lanky outdoors guy long known with nickname Marmaduke. When you are being bothered by flies (which are most often attracted to the highest part of your anatomy), you need to sidle up to a tall buddy and engage in simple conversation. When sufficiently close, drop down your stance a bit, or if lucky you can stand in a depression or on the downhill side of your pal. In short order you will be free of the buzzing, it having been transferred to your best friend. Then you are free (while maintaining a low profile) to skittle away until the next thought pops into your head for a revisit."

This has been done to me inadvertently and on purpose many times ( is the other Peak_bgr or Bushwhacker following this thread ?). :eek:

Meany!
However.,
Desperate times require desperate measures.

Those things are awesome. I spent a week in the north Maine woods. I would have paid 4x for them (don't tell them that!) they work so well. One afternoon's hike, 45 or so flies on it, NOT A SINGLE BITE! I ordered even more for this year's trip.

BTW, I don't think the color makes much difference. Over at the Alpinezone forum, one guy who is particularly knowledgeable about flying pests said that deer flies do indeed follow motion, follow behind you and light two or three times before they decide to bite. That's why the strips work so well. Nab 'em before they bite!
I once tried some duct tape on my hat (sticky side up--just turn the ends under to stick it to your hat). No deer flies were on the attack that day, but I caught a black fly.

Duct tape (or any sticky tape) or double-sided tape are probably a good bit cheaper than the fly strips. And easier to get...

Doug

I have found that if I cover my head with a bandanna, they don't bother me, but of course, that isn't so great in hot weather. I have been known to have been chased by them, until I covered my head with a hat of the bandanna.:)

deer fly

I just went up a small mtn near my house and the deer fly were terrible. I spend most of the time trying to outrun them and swinging my arms. I must have looked like a crazy person.

Even when I just go for a walk, they swarm me and my dog. I decided to take drastic measure (I didn't even think of using flystrips...thanks for that idea) I got my parents bug zapper and instead of swinging my arms, I swung that and zapped them. I figured I was swinging my arms anyway...this way I had the satisfaction of hearing them be zapped. :eek:

western maine foothills, early invasion

usually the invasion happends the last week of July to mid august here.. they came the 2nd week of July this year.. this is my least favorite insect, I do more single-track mt.biking, than anything else in the summer, black flies and skeeters I move thru, they aren't fast enough.. deer flies give chase and on my uphills they bite me over and over and make me bleed and leave a sting.. my arms currently have open bloody sores, this said I'll be riding the trails in 1hr, to donate again:mad: maybe they will leave 2 weeks early too..:confused:

think I'll put some duct tape to my shirt and helmet and backpack..

Last edited:
We have one of those electric bug zapper "tennis rackets", which is a very satisfying tool for incinerating the little ^%&*%^'s, at least in the back yard. I have zapped them with a visible and audible spark, smelled their seared bodies as they lie on their backs convulsing, then seen them get right back up and fly right at me, returning to the battle. One tough insect.

You can't outrun them (except on the road on a bike, and even then they will draft for a while before dropping off).

You can't hit them by swinging your arms. And as Tim said they are tough; if you hit one with your hand you may knock it down for a moment, but it will get back up and fight.

So I don't run, or swing my arms.

They only way I can consistently kill them is to patiently wait until they land on my head, and start working their way through my hair to get to my scalp. Then I can crush them on my head. They don't get back up after that. That method requires good timing - strike too soon and they will dodge, strike too late and they will bite. I keep score (a kill is a point for me, a bite is a point for them). On days when my timing is good, I can come out of the woods with scores like 11 to 2. My best score was the first day on the NP trail a few years ago; I think I finished the day up 13 to 0.

But lately in the Lake George Wild Forest, they have been very bad. They are not just on your head, but on your hands, arms, etc. The other evening I was down 2-5, and I had to forfeit the game and put on my hooded jacket even though it was 85F.

I plan to try the fly strips soon!

TCD

small victory!

just went out for 1 1/2 hrs. single track.. had 4 keepers on the tape @ the end.. wouldn't be shocked if a few more were on front of helmet, but got scraped off from branches/brush.. the deer flies overall weren't nearly as numerous as last week, however today I was riding mid-day, right after groups were leaving vs. by myself @ evenings last week.. I now know where the 2 spots to tape too:)

DSC01455.jpg
[/IMG]

just went out for 1 1/2 hrs. single track.. had 4 keepers on the tape @ the end.. wouldn't be shocked if a few more were on front of helmet, but got scraped off from branches/brush.. the deer flies overall weren't nearly as numerous as last week, however today I was riding mid-day, right after groups were leaving vs. by myself @ evenings last week.. I now know where the 2 spots to tape too:)

DSC01455.jpg
[/IMG]

Maybe you could get one of these going too.

http://nfrec.ifas.ufl.edu/MizellRF/deerfly_trap.htm

I'll stick to tape!

went out for another ride same locale this evening same dist/time, this time got 5 keepers. so @ least 9 today, prolly only received 3-5 bites today.

DSC01458.jpg
[/IMG]

did some victory laps, gotta love public beaches that close @ 8p, but have trails to them..
DSC01461.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC01475-1.jpg
[/IMG]