A Long But Incredibly Rewarding Three-fer: West Baldface, Sable, Chandler Peaks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J&J

Reaction score
Saturday, July 14, 2012, my wife June and I headed up the Bald Land trail to begin a 15 mile half trail / half bushwhack hike to a few bushwhack peaks.

From the Bald Land trail exit on East Branch Road (I wish this road had been open. It would have saved us some miles) we did the short walk up the road to the East Branch trail which we followed to the Wild River trail. Hiked in a bit on that trail where we peeled off into the woods with our destination being West Baldface, a NH200 highest peak. Nice open woods. We had a sticky, warm day replete with black flies, deer flies, mosquito’s, and house flies. Nice views from West Baldface but a bit hazy. This peak is worth revisiting.

From West Baldface we set our bearing for the col between South Baldface and Sable, a NH100 Highest peak, with hopes of finding the abandoned trail that runs between the two peaks. We had middling success. Even though we were on a well worn trail, we must have missed a turn because we started dropping in elevation. Hummmmm, we said. Maybe it will start contouring up at some point. We dropped maybe 200’ and said forget about it. We bee lined it for the ridge. Found a nice open drainage that took us right to the ridge where we picked up the old trail. Made the going a lot easier and we quickly summited Sable, a peak with limited views.

From the summit of Sable, we were able to follow the old trail again with mixed results. Made it to the col where we had the steep climb up Chandler, a NH 3000 Footer, in front of us. This is where we started feeling the heat and humidity of the day, not to mention the various flying insects that were really starting to drive us crazy. I was surprised that it took us this long for them to bother us. Maybe at this point, it was just a mental game to get it done.

We summited Chandler, another peak with limited views. From Chandler, we bee lined it back to the East Branch trail, the Bald Land trail and back to the car. It was pretty much head down and let’s get out of here. Splashed in the water near where the car was parked and made ourselves almost human again.

With our three-fer for the day of summits of Sable, Chandler and West Baldface, that completed three lists for me all on this one hike: The NH100 Highest, the NH 3000 Footers and the NH 200 Highest peaks. June also was able to pick up three new peaks for her lists. Congrats, June!

I have now completed what I call my NH BIG THREE:
The 576 (48x12) (which June has also completed)
Redlining all the trails in the AMC White Mountain Guide and the
NH 200 highest peaks (NH100, NH3K, NH200) of which about 110 are bushwhack peaks).

What’s next? June tells me I have a new list and it’s based entirely on work around the house. Many of you are familiar with that list, the Honey Do list. I start in a couple of days. :D

I would really like to thank my wife, June (the better half of J&J), for joining me and providing me with such good company on so many of my various hikes. Thanks, Dear!!!

John

Some pictures of our day:

The primeval East Branch trail.
P1120214.JPG

The summit of West Baldface looking at North and South Baldface.
P1120245.JPG

The long ridgeline of Sable and the pyramid shaped Chandler, our next destinations for the day.
P1120256.JPG

June checking our bearing while fern-whacking.
P1120262.JPG

Fern-whacking can be tough especially when the ferns are five feet tall.
P1120315.JPG

Looking to the summit of Chandler.
P1120320.JPG

Looking back at the summit of Sable.
P1120322.JPG

John on the summit of Chandler. One happy camper.
P1120362.JPG

June crosses the East Branch River with one mighty leap.
P1120376.JPG

What’s next? June tells me I have a new list and it’s based entirely on work around the house. Many of you are familiar with that list, the Honey Do list. I start in a couple of days. :D

Yeah, that's the only list I ever got recruited for. Still working on it ( it's one list that somehow is always growing). :D

What an immense accomplishment, one that most trail-bound folks will have a hard time grasping the scale of. Congratulations!

Congratulations, you and June give hiking a good name!! Maybe you could hike all the mts. in NH that have a firetower or had a firetower!!!!

Congratulations! That's quite a "list of lists."

However, your next one sounds rife with new and unknown dangers. Godspeed. :D

congrats!!!! Looks like a fine day!!! Really enjoyed the pics - HIKE ON!!!! (honey-do list sounds kind of boring... jus sayin!!!!)

Congratulations, you and June give hiking a good name!! Maybe you could hike all the mts. in NH that have a firetower or had a firetower!!!!

Lefty- I have been working on my own personal State of NH fire tower list (close to 100 peaks) of peaks that have towers, had towers or had been selected to have towers put on them but the towers were never built for whatever reason. I don't have that many peaks left. I had kind of put this list on hold to work on other things. :D

Congratulations John! Wow! Can't wait to hear about the next challenge (other than the Honey Do list, of which we are all too familiar).