a nice day on Mt. Washington

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
Hiked the Tuckerman Ravine Trail to summit of Mt. Washington on a steamy July day.

A black blob caught my eye as I glanced down one of the ski trails that cross the trail. Upon further inspection I found this young bear. She saw me but didn't run too far and stopped to check me out. She went up a tree, but only about 10' and stayed there watching me and just hung out for a long time.

IMG_0137-copy1.jpg

IMG_0217aaa.jpg

IMG_0230aaa.jpg

After a while she came down and hung out with me. I stayed seated, trying to present a peaceful presence and she just watched me. At one point she layed down and rolled onto her back for a while. It was awesome...

IMG_0261aaa.jpg

As I sat with the bear I kept hearing a critter off to the north. As the bear finally walked off I wished her well because she hasn't been without her mama for long. I went to see the other critter...it was a baby raccoon...close cousin of the bear...very cool...so cute...

IMG_0264aaa.jpg

Tuckerman Ravine was beautiful...lots of flowers in bloom...

fireweed...

IMG_3570aaa.jpg

yellow avens...

IMG_3565aaa.jpg

painted cups ( or as I call them, alpine roses )...

IMG_3556aaa.jpg

violets...

IMG_3550aaa.jpg

robin's sandwort (right?)

IMG_3545aaa.jpg

mountain avens...

IMG_3533aaa.jpg

the summit had a nice breeze but the flowers in the ravine are awesome right now...

I was even treated to a nice cow moose in the notch on the ride home...

IMG_0339aaa.jpg

happy trails

Wow, what an epic photo day! Love the expressive first shot of the bear, and the raccoon is beyond cute. Great shots and patience!

This captures such a cool experience for all of us! You are a master at your craft!

Thanks!

love it!

looks like you made a friend or 2, thanx for sharing these excellent pix!

Nice shots there, Patrick. Love the bear shots. Envious. :D

Moose whisperer masquerading as a Bear whisperer ITT!

You have a great knack for this. I'm surprised you haven't found work as a nature photographer (or have you??). I mean honestly, most people can't get animal shots like this. Amazing stuff.

Patrick, be patient and don't get discouraged. Just keep practicing and eventually you'll get the hang of this photography thing.

Once again, amazing photos! I love the shot of the bear with its tongue out.

This captures such a cool experience for all of us! You are a master at your craft!

Jim's comment pretty well says it all!

Thanks Patrick for photographically capturing what we all know is out there, but rarely get to see in-person.