Routes to the Kinsmans

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audrey

Reaction score
Pat and I need the Kinsmans for this round of the 48. We've always used Fishin' Jimmy to access the peaks, so it's time to redline a bit. We could spot cars...so, what should we do this time?
No, I don't plan to go over the Cannonballs or Mt Wolf to get there. Thank you!

A couple of years ago a group of 4 of us did a car spot by leaving one at the Mt. Kinsman trailhead (new one) and went to Reel Brook trailhead..up Reel Brook to Kinsman Ridge..we stopped at the old Eliza Brook shelter for lunch, then continued up to South Kinsman, North Kinsman, down the Mt. Kinsman Trail to our spotted vehicle...it was tougher than I thought it would be, (hot day) but in hindsight, I would do it again from the other direction..most likely I will be doing it again in order to see the new Eliza Brook shelter!!! Reel Brook Rd. was ok for any type vehicle....

Even just an up and back by the Mt Kinsman Trail is beautiful. Make sure to do the spur trail to Bald Knob for outstanding views.

The Reel brook option gives you access to the south side of south Kinsman. There are some nice spots along the way including a bog loaded with pitcher plants. Reel Brook is basically an old logging road all the way to the AT. It would be "ground zero" if Northern Pass ever goes as it would most likely be turned into a construction access road. The trade off is the the climb up the south side of south Kinsman is very steep, basically climbing up over one boulder and then climbing another, not as ledgy as Flume slide but just as steep. Possbily reminicient of going up wildcat from RT 16 without the ledges.On a warm sunny day the sun is at your back all day and its get warm. It would be nice hike on a cool fall day when the sun would be appreciated.

On the other hand the Mt Kinsman trail is a well graded route with the plus of a nice short spur trail to a side peak which makes a nice break. Hard to beat it, except for the drive into the parking lot which will "eat" most small cars. One thing to note is that both the Reel Brook parking lot and the Mt Kinsman parking lot tend to be brushy and I have gotten wood ticks on me at both of them.

Last edited:
Some fun climbing and beautiful ledges on the south side of S. Kinsman.

Just goes to show you. This is currently my least favorite section of trail in the Whites, but that wasn't my best day ever. It is an opportunity to redline :rolleyes:...if you're into that sort of thing...

MichaelJ said:
Even just an up and back by the Mt Kinsman Trail is beautiful. Make sure to do the spur trail to Bald Knob for outstanding views.

Agree with this.

Last edited:
Just goes to show you. This is currently my least favorite section of trail in the Whites, but that wasn't my best day ever. It is an opportunity to redline :rolleyes:...if you're into that sort of thing...

I didn't say easy climbing, definitely rough. Young legs helped, certainly. ;) :) I thought it had some unique views down over Bog Pond and really liked it, the quiet side of the Kinsmans.

Last edited:
I didn't say easy climbing, definitely rough. Young legs helped, certainly. ;) :) .

Yeah, I think it should be noted the south side of South Kinsman gets steep and scrambly for a bit. Probably no biggy if prepared and worth the redline for anyone interested. The bog/pond and stream areas lower were scenic. I was just not happy at that point in the day on our hike. I should probably go back...or not ;).

I agree about the Mt. Kinsman Trail and the spur to Bald as an excellent out and back. I've done the Reel Brook Trail and remember how ugly the powerlines were, but they did open up the view, so that was a plus. Also, and this was the biggest plus for me, I saw an Oven Bird nest along the old logging road. Our climb up the steeps wasn't pleasant as it was hot, slow and buggy. If you haven't done it, and have two cars, I'd say go for it. If the second car isn't necessary, then do the iin and out via the Mt. Kinsman Trail.

Just because nobody's mentioned it, another route is via Kinsman Pd Trail where you get to walk the length of the pond and see the old airplane wing if it's still there. Now that you can't park at Whitehouse Bridge, best access is probably Basin-Cascades Trail from The Basin which has nice waterfalls but is a little rougher than Cascade Brook Trail.

You can bushwhack down from the col to save distance, it's fine in winter but more stuff to trip over in summer.