Scar Ridge anyone?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkyfreddy

Reaction score
Gail, Charly, and I are going to do Scar Ridge next week sometime - the first week of August. If you're interested in joining us please e-mail or pm me. I've never been up there but am looking at my maps and preparing for the adventure. :) Please see my other thread for the other mountains we're doing. Thanks, Fred

re scar

When we did it, we did it from the Kang...I don't know if sectional scott is still on here but she had all the coordinates for this. I don't think I still have them on my gps.

From the Loon ski slopes is the “modern” way to go. There's plenty of searchable info about it out there.

The route from Loon Mt. looks interesting, thank you very much for the advice!

I plan to do this next Saturday (11th) with a hiking buddy. A detailed trip report would be helpful! I have poured over all other reports and could use more information. Pepp

Details? This is one you have to experience for yourself! Here's what I'll tell you: Basically: go up Brookway to the Walking Boss ski slope at Loon. Shortly before the top, turn east (left) off the trail (careful, the trail's raised by a stone wall) into a "messy" area. Find the herd path to Black Mountain and follow it until it turns the wrong way. Take a compass bearing and head to West West Scar Ridge! It's very straightforward & the summit itself is quite open and easy. On the return, stay atop the ridge, don't fall off it or you'll be in a mess. If you find yourself in a mess, stop, adjust your position north or south appropriately until you find less evil woods, and continue. Good luck and have fun!

It looks like this:

Google%2520Earth.jpg

Tim

What's with the extra loop off to the west, Tim? And heck, if you went over there, why didn't you tag North Loon (3K) while you were at it?!?! :)

Note that the East Peak of West Scar Ridge is not the true NE100 peak, it's just where the canister *used* to be. I have no idea why, since the true summit (West West) is so much more open and easy to navigate.

I took the less-steep (blue trails) route down.

The AMC used to have a canister on East West Scar because it was a sharper peak and their theory was it was easier to find (it was still there, actually.) Maybe more relevant when the predominant route was from Little East Pond, or from the Discovery Center/Hancock Branch. West West Scar is very flat. I did both for the navigational experience. Both peaks had canisters.

Tim

Worst hike Gail and I ever did..... :mad: We got there on our 2nd attempt but both times got swallowed up by some very evil woods. The forest is a mess around Loon Mt..... the summit having lots of litter around it. I would recommend doing this hike in cooler weather when long pants are appropriate, Gail and I got very scratched up by the dead spruce branches as the forest is filled with blow down. Beware of herd paths as well..... none of them lead in the right direction for very long. Our hike was also complicated by the fact that our Chocolate lab Charly doesn't seem to like rough terrain and he slowed us down considerably :( We won't be taking Charly on any long bush whacks from now on, lesson learned.

I'm glad I'm almost finished with the NEHH and NE115, cause I'll never do another list again :) ADK 100? Forget about it! I'll leave that to the masochists, LOL.

Oh c'mon, everything is on a list. :)

I've just finished "the Nose" list, working on the Round Top list, the Knob list as well as the ADK firetower challenge, my own firetower challenge, the redline Greylock list, the Catskills Reservoirs list...

The list of my own making list.. it goes on and on!

Jay

Thanks for the trip report.

My husband decided to forget lists when he finished his 48 4000 footers. He said the only other list he would consider would be the
"4000 48 footers." Unfortunately, I am addicted to lists (oh, hang on, I have to add that to my list of addictions).

We didn't hike Scar. Friday it poured and we didnt feel like getting wet from head to toe on Saturday trying to negotiate in thick wet woods. Will hike in the spring maybe? Wouldnt that have less vegetation to deal with? What say you, hiker buds?

Never having been up there, spring would not matter much in my opinion because it's mainly softwood vegetation and there would still be a ton of fir wave blowdowns and scrub fir and spruce...sort of reminds me of hiking a gaunlet of "medival weapons..." at least they might be visible to you unless there might be some fern/hobble bush patches..those bushwackers are tough bunch, don't let cuts and scrapes bother them, as seen on many photos of trip reports..saw a recent report on another website where thanks but no thanks....

re bushwacks

Never having been up there, spring would not matter much in my opinion because it's mainly softwood vegetation and there would still be a ton of fir wave blowdowns and scrub fir and spruce...sort of reminds me of hiking a gaunlet of "medival weapons..." at least they might be visible to you unless there might be some fern/hobble bush patches..those bushwackers are tough bunch, don't let cuts and scrapes bother them, as seen on many photos of trip reports..saw a recent report on another website where thanks but no thanks....

When I first thought of doing a bushwack, I was hesitant but there is something that drew me in...it's actually fun! I especially like the ones where we were looking for the "white canister". I did get a few scars from them but it was an adventure...it definately kept things interesting.

Spring would be much worse. Rotten snow, soft muddy ground, appearance of blackflies …*

Go in fall. September is a perfect time for bushwhacking, though watch your step as fallen leaves can obscure things on the ground that will trip you. But it's a fine tradeoff for the cool crisp bugless air, and improved visibility with the ferns and hobblebush leaves down for the winter.