NH Trails Day. Mt. Kinsman Trail July 21, 2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrailwrightBratt

Reaction score
In keeping with the Trailwrights tradition of having a project to celebrate on this years NH Trails Day we met at the Mt. Kinsman trailhead to help out one of our own Trailwrights on his adopted US Forest Service trail along with two hard working representatives of the Forest Service.
Jen Burnett and Giff Krieble.

After the usual safety and tool use discussion we hiked to the first project just over and on the Forest where we met a 14" Birch tree smack in the way of the first project. A wet area with seeps.
Chris dispatched that in hurry with a little help from Darrell.
Chris%2520Garby.JPG

Dave and his crew installed 100 linear feet of trailside drainage ditch to get the water moving into a newly installed waterbar that should handle the new flow. They also installed rock steps and rocks set stones in the treadway. As usual they ran into a rather large rock that had to be moved for the water bar. All this was followed with a covering of soil.
24%2520View%2520up%2520hill%2520-%2520birch%2520blowdown.JPG

Meanwhile a little farther up the trail Gene and Giff and a crew tackled a wet and very rocky 50 foot section with seeps. Drainage was installed in two places to take the water to an existing water bar hopefully controlling the seeps. They then placed some 15 smaller steps stones to harden and then filled between with soil.
14%2520View%2520of%2520treadway%2520%2526%2520rock%2520steps%25202012-07-25.JPG

At The same time Hal and Jen led a crew on another wet area digging another 75 foot trailside ditch with another ditch emptying into that one to drain the area. Darrell with help from Hal and Glenn installed 4 step stones to harden and improved the water bar outlet at the start of this section and used a good deal of gravel,soil from the waterbar outlet to fill around the step stones.
18%2520Looking%2520up%2520the%2520trail%25202012-07-25.JPG

Finishing up this section the crew with Hal and Darrell in charge moved up hill to install a new rock water.

At the Bald Knob Spur trail jct. Bruce and Jeremy tackled a bog bridge that was in serious disrepair, removed the pieces, and started draining the immediate area in the hopes a new bridge would not be needed. A natural spring and seeps caused the flooding and mud in this area. The natural spring outflow was cluttered with a tangle of blowdowns, roots and rocks that were then removed. A 14 foot ditch was dug along the uphill side of the trail to the spring and then across the trail and approximately 16 feet into the outflow area. Rock steps were placed to reinforce the sides of the ditch across the trail and cobble stoning in the muddy section of trail. Thus the need for a bog bridge was eliminated.
3%2520View%2520toward%2520trail%2520junction%25202012-07-25.JPG

In all there were 15 Trailwrights working 7 hours = 105 hrs. and two Forest Service workers for 5.5 hrs.= 11hrs. for a total 116 hours.
A really fun day with a lot accomplished. Thanks go out to all for the hard work but even better a good day protecting this particular rescource.
May there be many more days such as this one.
More pictures

Good times. great working with the Trailwrights again. Lots of good work done. Look forward to going back to finish.

Here are a few pictures.

Sidehill ditching

Waterbar reconstruction / digging

rock movin.

the start of a waterbar.

Cooperative Effort on Mt. Kinsman Trail

It was a great day with a cooperative effort by a group of 17 volunteers, including members of Trailwrights, trail adopters, as well as members of the USFS Pemi District, working hard to control erosion and to make the trail a more enjoyable hiking experience. This was truly a great group effort proving that old adage that many hands make light work.

The group spent 116 hours Saturday performing Level 2 maintenance as stated above in Hal’s post. The group‘s efforts most certainly accelerated the pace of trail work needed to improve the trail and performed work that I am not able to accomplish by myself.

Huge thanks to all who made significant improvements to my adopted trail on a fun-filled and most productive day. I’ve no doubt that other USFS trail adopters could benefit from this type of cooperative effort on their trail as it has for me on mine.

Bruce
Trailwrights
Volunteer adopter of Mt Kinsman Trail

Last edited: