Northern Presidentials snow conditions 12/24

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
The rain last night pretty well washed out the snow at the Gorham Randolph line (elev 1400). There is about 4" of soon to be boilerplate in the front yard with occasional bare patches, Madison still looks white but the higher summits were warmer and got rain for a longer period. I suspect that stream crossings are going to be a challenge for the next few days until everything drains out. I suspect that crampons are not going to be optional for awhile, but snowshoes probably are.

Brent -- I hiked Crawford Path yesterday but didn't get to the summit of Pierce due to a late start time (bad roads...) so I can't comment on whether it was icy up above tree line. The trail was pretty well snow covered but there was a sheet of ice beneath the snow. You definitely needed some sort of traction -- we used snowshoes but crampons would have been better.

Hope that helps,
-Ivy

Icy on summits

We hiked to the summit of Pierce on Friday and it was very icy. Here's a photo. Sounds like some snow over the ice now. As you can see, Pierce was a skating rink.