NH 48 speed record

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck! Hopefully you will be updating his progress...

Good luck Ryan!!

Sending good vibes from the High Sierra!! (Ah but If only I could transfer the perfect, dry, bug-free weather to New England for ya!)

BTW, The chicks' record ends at the final trailhead. Jus' sayin'...

;-)

Ducking back into the Range of Light for another week...

Ryan...I think I left my leather jacket on E Osceola...you think you can get it for me?

Good luck!

Is there a way to punch a SPOT coordinate at each trailhead and summit instead of just every hour wherever you happen to be?

Generally, the SPOT requires you to be still for that functionality. I don't expect Ryan to be still. :)

Generally, the SPOT requires you to be still for that functionality. I don't expect Ryan to be still. :)

He's moving so fast, Waumbek barely registered. 7:15 at the TH... 8:58 halfway way back down from Starr King...

He skipped Mt. Clay. What a loser.

Go back and do Mt. Clay or it doesn't count!! Mookie thinks that Mt. Clay is one of the 48 (and South Twin is not, that's why...)

-Dr. Wu

Is there a way to punch a SPOT coordinate at each trailhead and summit instead of just every hour wherever you happen to be?

If he programmed a message - he could send an update to FB or to an email address every time he pushed one of the buttons - would have to be the same message all the time - he could have one button say "I am on another summit" and another say "I am at a trailhead" - it would also send the gps coordinates with it.

But - probably hind site unless DG does it tonight for him.

Looks like he has Isolation in the bag and is headed back to Ike!

Amazing

Even the thought of doing just one of those "day plans" in 2 days and 20 hours is insane.... Good Luck Ryan!!!!:)

Man that is quite the out and back way to do isolation!What are you guys giving him in the camper?:D My guess is some crazy lentil and tofu mix served in sugar water....Hope you all have a smooth ultra hike,the rest of the way through the Whites....

Last edited:
If he programmed a message - he could send an update to FB or to an email address every time he pushed one of the buttons

Not to sidetrack but the SPOT has to get a fresh GPS lock when you press the button, and if you're moving, that just doesn't happen. Possibly in tracking mode it maintains the lock in between sending points every 10 minutes and so the message button would uplink right away, but I'm not sure and I wouldn't want them to try to change anything now that the attempt is underway.

Summit of Jackson, woo-hoo!!!

Looking Good

Looks like Ryan hit Jackson at 6:34 pm ( or 6:14?), so he should make the road by 7:15 pm or so. Great pace, right on schedule!

Anyone interested at looking at the "Splits From Way Back When" can check these ancient scrolls. The events aren't all identical:

2002 (Cave Dog)

Last edited:
If he programmed a message - he could send an update to FB or to an email address every time he pushed one of the buttons - would have to be the same message all the time - he could have one button say "I am on another summit" and another say "I am at a trailhead" - it would also send the gps coordinates with it.
!

I've found with my SPOT that one must be stationary for about five minutes to get a text message/facebook update out.

Go Team Ryan!

Last edited:
Carrigain?

On the Tom/Field/Willey traverse last night at 9:47p and heading up the Wildcat Ski trails this morning at 5:30a as planned, but Spot returned no points from Carrigain which was planned for last night. But the Carrigain route is all heavily wooded, where Spot doesn't work too well, so hoping Carrigain is done.

Go team Ryan!!

Spot returned no points from Carrigain which was planned for last night.

Kristina posted elsewhere that Carrigain was moved to the last day.

He is in great spirits and moving well! I joined him on tom field and willey last night. It was
a beautiful full moon! The trail was a wet slippery mess but it didnt stop him! He really need slow him down much! Even with carrigan at the end i think he has got this! :)
as for programming the spot he doesnt have time to remember to push buttons. He just needs to focus on hiking and eating and sleeping. His food is what he bought and jason and i make sure it is ready for him. :)