NH 48 speed record

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's certainly no reason to feel bad about a "supported record". What Ryan and the team are doing is amazing. None of the support takes any of the miles or incredible amount of vertical out of this hike. It's all on his legs. I've been having a great time the last two days watching the progress and picturing each of the segments in the times they are being done. I can't fathom it. Hope today is another great day and you get to the finish line as planned. Rock on!

And the results are? I imagine some sleep is in order before posting on a forum. I'm anxious to find out how it all panned out. I'm still amazed!

Obviously a great effort, but matching the SPOT tracking against the original schedule, it doesn't appear that the final Event 13 (the Pemi traverse) took place.

Facebook update:

Ryan on Facebook said:
Well, i gave it all i had. My pace fell off way too much on the cannon, kinsmans loop and it was obvious there wasnt enough time left. 33 peaks done in 62 hours.
Did i mention it was hot out?

Tim

What an adventure!

Feet are sore, quads are wrecked and I'm smiling ear to ear. The heat was tough to deal with and that combined with fatigue finally brought me to my knees on Cannon after a painfully slow traverse of the Cannonballs. I had slowed too much and the the record was now out of reach. I'm very pleased with what I accomplished in the time i was out.
It's great to see everyone get so psyched up about these type of self challenges! Thanks for all your support! And a HUGE thank you to Kristina and Jason my support crew who not only kept me fueled, hydrated, and shod with dry socks and shoes. But for doing more hiking than they had planned as i staggered through the night like a drunken zombie.
It was great to see friends at the Tram lot when i got down off of Cannon, ,including Tim Seaver who was offering to hike most of the Pemi traverse with me to help beat his own tecord. It just goes to show, we do this to challenge ourselves not compete with each other. Thanks for reminding me of that, Tim.
Now, to find a cold river to sit in!

Congratulations on a fine effort in challenging conditions. Now enjoy that river...
-vegematic

You did GREAT! Many thanks for sharing your incredible adventure with us. I really enjoyed following your progress on SPOT. Strong support team to! Bet a river will never have felt so good! :):eek::D

Great job, Ryan and huge kudos to Tim for his offer to pace you across the Pemi. That's what it all about even though we all lose sight of that sometimes. Congrats to your support team who were also short on sleep and also had to deal with the heat and humidity. Well done, all. We're all looking forward to your next adventure!

Epic Heat

An amazing effort by Ryan and his team, especially in such punishing heat, much worse than anything I remember from the 2003 trip. Just watching Ryan's team over the past few days really reminded me of just how difficult and enormous this project is to take on. Insane, some might say - and they may well be right, in a good way. Congratulations to you, Kristina, Jason and everyone else who helped out, and I hope you can get revved up in the future for another shot at this.

And speaking of insane, maybe Jack the No-Doze Dog could do his own version of the NH48 - no sleep required, just a Spot, a muzzle and a box of No-Doze...;)

A great effort and more than most of us could do. I was really hoping you could do it or at least finish. I can't imagine how bad it was yesterday hiking as much as you did with how uncomfortable it was just walking around the yard. It really is great being able to follow you on these attempts and I wish you and your crew the best luck on the next one and all others after that.

What a great try.

It was exciting to follow your progress. Lauky and I were up on Cannon yesterday hoping to cheer you on. However, we timed things based on the original projection and not knowing what was going on we headed down too soon.

Thanks for the fun. :)

It was great to see friends...including Tim Seaver, who was offering to hike most of the Pemi traverse with me, to help beat his own record. It just goes to show, we do this to challenge ourselves; not compete with each other. Thanks for reminding me of that, Tim.

Good stuff, on multiple levels.

Another lovely mountain adventure. Always prefer when objectives are accomplished, but regardless, you pulled off a pretty big couple days in some frighteningly hot/humid conditions. I'm just glad to have been able to help.

Last edited:
Congrats on an incredible effort, it was exciting to follow, and thank you for sharing it. I can't imagine how exciting it must be, one hike to the next....and the thought of doing anything in addition to a Presi Traverse in one day is amazing.

-Dan

Great job, Ryan and huge kudos to Tim for his offer to pace you across the Pemi. That's what it all about...

Yes -- a huge thumbs up to Ryan and Tim for their excellent examples of hiker-hiker support and good-will.

Fantastic accomplishments all around. Ryan, you didn't finish...but 33 peaks in 62 hours...that's a peak almost every two hours....amazing, amazing, amazing. Congratulations on a fantastic effort.

Last edited:
Yes -- a huge thumbs up to Ryan and Tim for their excellent examples of hiker-hiker support and good-will.

Fantastic accomplishments all around. Ryan, you didn't finish...but 33 peaks in 62 hours...that's more than two peaks an hour....amazing, amazing, amazing. Congratulations on a fantastic effort.
I'm still waiting to hear why Ryan skipped Mt. Clay. I realize that Henry Clay wasn't a president but he tried hard to be one...

clay.jpg

He's even got a skullet.

-Dr. Wu

Attachments

• clay.jpg
    clay.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 111