Zion National Park Trip - Looking for Advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proszach

Reaction score
Not to copy Peakbagr's post, but similar request: my girlfriend and I are taking a trip to Zion National Park in mid-September, and would love any and all advice regarding recommended hikes, where to camp, weather that time of year, etc.

Regarding hikes, the Narrows and Angels Landing seem like must-dos. Observation Point also looks incredible, but seems like the same view as Angels Landing, so does it make sense to do both? Also, would love to hear any recos for great hikes that might get us away from the crowds.

In terms of camping, I figured we'd just reserve a walk-in tent site at Watchman campground, but again, don't know much about the area and am open to alternative suggestions. Understanding that this is a popular park and it will be impossible to avoid people, we'd still like to get as much privacy as possible.

Haven't posted in roughly four years, great to be back! Thanks for the recos!

If the weather and river conditions allow, the Narrows is definitely a must do. There's nothing else like it.

I've done Angels Landing and Observation Point several times each. Both obviously have great views. Angels Landing is fun for the exposure factor as you go up the narrow ridge with chains and other man made hand holds ... but it can be pretty annoying when it gets crowded and there often are people who freeze on the ridge ... I'd recommend an early start on that one and only do it if you're comfortable with heights. Personally, I prefer Observation Point ... it gets somehwat less traffic ... I think it has the better view ... and you get a nice narrow canyon to travel through on your way up. You can't go wrong with either one. The Angels Landing hike can be extended by following the Rim trail from Scouts Lookout ... even if you don't go far you get some nice views and quickly escape the crowds. All the other hikes in the canyon are nice, too but probably don't quite compare to the ones mentioned.

I've only done a couple of short hikes in the Kolob Canyons section of the park but that gets much less visitation if you're looking for a quieter place.

The Kolob Terrace road has some hikes / canyon routes off it. I did the Northgate Peaks trail which was easy and short with very nice views. The Subway is a very popular canyon route ... you need a permit and there are quotas (check the NPS web site for rules). I had a permit to do the Subway last year, but I bailed due to no shade on the route and 100 degree temperatures the day I had my permit (but the Narrows was wonderful on that hot day).

I've always just car camped at the Watchman campground. It's nothing special but perfectly adequate. I've purchased showers at a private campground a short distance outside the Springdale entrance.

In September the mandatory shuttle bus will be running. This has the advantage of no traffic / no parking problems, but makes it a bit slower to get to your destinations in the canyon.

Enjoy, it's a great place.

Highly recommend Angels Landing to start. It didn't take up more than a half day, even for a lingerer like me, so another option, thanks to the shuttle bus, is to continue along the river to Emerald Pools and beyond. There are a few bus stops across the river so you can make your hike any length you want.

Haven't been to Observation Point but, even though it is only a short distance from Angels Landing as the crow flies, I don't think you'll get bored with the views. I've read that it has an interesting variety of trail and scenery. Would probably have selected that if we stayed in the park longer.

The Narrows is interesting and you can turn around any time you want ... hikes are generally anywhere from 4-10 miles one way. By September the regular season for daily thunderstorms will likely have passed but keep an eye on weather, even beyond the immediate area, as you may not even be aware of a storm that could result in flash flooding and it can be difficult and sometimes impossible to escape the narrow canyon. Check with the Park rangers.

If you haven't seen this site, check it out for hiking ideas: http://www.zionadventures.com/hikes-in-zion-national-park/

A number of hikes in the park yield similar views of the canyon. It's the stupendous rock formations, side canyons, etc., that you encounter on each trail that makes it so magical. Others have mentioned Observation Point and the West Rim Trail beyond Scout Lookout and I second them heartily. You look way down at Angels Landing from Observation Point...very fine.

I would ditto everything else said. If you were so inclined, you could also look up a canyoneering trip with Zion Adventure Company. They also rent gear for The Narrows.

Zion is a small park and all the places mentioned are the most popular spots. Just get an early start and you'll beat the crowds.

Do you plan to visit any other areas? Or just Zion?

A couple of useful links:

Joe's Guide to Zion

Zion National Park - Tanya and Bo (they just published a book and they are on bogley.com - a good resource for the southwest)

We did a nice day hike on the East Rim trail, catching a shuttle van to the trailhead and hiking along the east rim and down into the canyon, hardly seeing anyone until we got to the Observation Point trail. Another quiet hike was in Kolob Canyon to Kolob Arch. I don't think we saw anyone at all.

Zion was awesome, have a great trip.

Our trip to Zion National Park was short but sweet. We hiked Angel's Landing and I was fascinated by features along the way, so agree totally with others who recommend that. Afterwards, we sat on a deck just outside the park entrance and enjoyed a beer while looking at the amazing scenery. While there, I bought a music CD that brings back the feelings of that region for me: http://www.zionpark.org/shopping/productDetails_62.html . It combines some voice and sounds instruments and nature sounds in very well-composed pieces and I feel as though I'm listening in on the early times there before current-day civilization. It's very soothing and meditative for me, but not in a mesmarizing New Age sort of way these things are usually done.

Lots of great advice here. All I can add are:

1. Angels Landing is not for someone with a fear of heights. Observation Point is not for someone with a significant fear of heights. My wife, for example, had a problem on a certain switchback on the upper half of the Observation Point hike. It happened when she looked down. We decided to turn around at that point. She did not suffer any fear of heights when hiking the Emerald Pools or Watchman.
  2. I agree that Emerald Pools is a nice hike, especially after a recent rain. Observation Point was fantastic until we had to turn around. Loved the narrow canyon stretch.
  3. Springdale, at the edge of the park, is a cool town, with good restaurants. We stayed at the Desert Pearl Inn: http://www.desertpearl.com/. It wasn't cheap, but we thoroughly enjoyed it.

Have fun!

Marty

By September the regular season for daily thunderstorms will likely have passed but keep an eye on weather, even beyond the immediate area, as you may not even be aware of a storm that could result in flash flooding and it can be difficult and sometimes impossible to escape the narrow canyon. Check with the Park rangers.

The summer monsoon season is pretty robust in that area this year, and some long-range forecasts indicate that September may be wetter than typical. It's a long way off though. In any case, the areas that are great when wet would be greater, even if the areas that are better when dry wouldn't.
Also, we stayed at the Comfort Suites in St George on our way through last year, which I highly recommend- dirt cheap, big rooms suitable for large teenagers, great service, decent breakfast, and a great pool. We weren't planning a Zion-focused trip so didn't concentrate on being right next to the park.
Enjoy!

Last edited:
By September the regular season for daily thunderstorms will likely have passed but keep an eye on weather, even beyond the immediate area, as you may not even be aware of a storm that could result in flash flooding and it can be difficult and sometimes impossible to escape the narrow canyon.
While I was there (in May, 2001), I was chased off Angels Landing by thickening clouds. (The Landing is well below the valley rims so you don't get much warning...) A squall line came through and dumped quite a bit of rain. (The valley walls erupted in waterfalls--it was spectacular.) A hiker on the Canyon Overlook Trail was swept down a gully and killed. Flash floods are not something to be trifled with...

BTW, the Canyon Overlook Tr is short but ends in a very nice viewpoint.

The NPS website: http://www.nps.gov/zion/index.htm

Doug

Consider the Subway. A great wet expereince like the Narrows. If you don't have 2 cars for the shuttle, go on the weekend and park you car at the end point of the trip early in the day. You might have luck with a impromptu shuttle by meeting others interested who also only posess one car. It worked for me, Prepare and bring a rope as required.

For Angels landling and Observatrion point, both hikes are 1/2 day outings. Consider doing then when the terrain is in the shade to avoid hot sun. It worked for me. I think this means Ob Pt in the early am and Angels in the afternoon.

For Angels landling and Observatrion point, both hikes are 1/2 day outings. Consider doing then when the terrain is in the shade to avoid hot sun. It worked for me. I think this means Ob Pt in the early am and Angels in the afternoon.
Might not be so critical in September but Angels Landing was definitely an early morning hike in July, the long stretch leading to and up the switchbacks is in the shade of the canyon wall. Won't matter for the last half mile, a few small trees are the only respite from the sun no matter what time.

Consider the Subway. .... Prepare and bring a rope as required.

If you don't want to use a rope you can also access much of the Subway from the lower end. It's basically just a hike along a canyon bottom with some splashing in the stream for normal water levels (after you drop down into the canyon on a steep herd path). This also eliminates the need for a second car or shuttle.

http://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/thesubway.htm

Last edited:
Thank you everyone so much for the advice! I decided to go for it and book a walk-in tent site at Watchman. With only 3 1/2 days there, we definitely don't have enough time to do everything, but will make sure to check out Observation Point, Angels Landing, the Narrows (if conditions allow), and then one of the more remote suggestions. Can't wait!

If you don't want to use a rope you can also access much of the Subway from the lower end. It's basically just a hike along a canyon bottom with some splashing in the stream for normal water levels (after you drop down into the canyon on a steep herd path). This also eliminates the need for a second car or shuttle.

http://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/thesubway.htm

a lot of the "good stuff" is above the rapell thar requires the rope.

1) Hike early. Catch the first shuttle if possible to avoid crowds.

2) Drink lots of water.

3) Eat at the Whiptail Grille just outside of the park.