Crystal Peak in Mount Rainier National Park

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gritter

Reaction score
Even though I didn't summit Rainier during my recent trip out west; I did summit Crystal Peak. This summit made a great consolation prize at 6,596 feet with 360 degree views of the best scenery in the park.

The snowfield and super smooth trails also presented a huge contrast to the northeastern trails that I am used to.

Please do let me know what you think of my trip report:

http://www.newenglandoutside.com/2012/08/crystal-peak-trip-repro-one-peak-i.html

Very nice. Looks like you had great weather the whole trip. I think the only time we saw the summit was from Muir, maybe one other time on the drive in or out. Mostly it was socked in. Congrats again.

Another nice report and not a bad consolation prize. Higher than Mount Washington with nearly as much elevation gain. Good stuff.

Thank you! Its amazing that the height and elevation gain compare to Mount Washington. However the smoothness and pitch of this trail made it seem so much easier than climbing up Tucks or Huntington Ravine.

Very nice. Looks like you had great weather the whole trip. I think the only time we saw the summit was from Muir, maybe one other time on the drive in or out. Mostly it was socked in. Congrats again.

The weather your describing seems to be typical for that area. I could not believe we had perfectly sunny weather all week.

Great consolation prize. There are so many hikes around the vicinity of Rainier that are high on the wow factor, as you found out. We enjoyed hiking from Sunrise into Summerland along the Wonderland Trail as well as several other sections of the Wonderland such as hiking in to Indian Barr camp from the south and to Mt Fremont (fire tower) from Sunrise. I, too, got to Ingraham Flats and felt disappointed, but really, being that far up is an amazing accomplishment in itself! Good for you! As others have said, the trails out there are spectacular and quite a change from what we are used to here in the NE.

Attachments

• DSCF0867_edited-1.jpg
    DSCF0867_edited-1.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 78