New pack needed... opinions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brobichaud

Reaction score
After solving my footwear issues (and wouldn't you believe, they're on sale this week :mad:), I must delve into the pack problem.

As it stands now, I own 3 packs. A 2007 model Camelbak Cloudwalker, a 2009 model Osprey Kestrel 28, and a Deuter Guide 45+. The Kestrel was my workhorse through all but a handful of my first round of the 48, and the old Cloudwalker has come out more recently, in an attempt to force myself to carry less weight. I've definitely had mixed results. First, the Kestrel is on its last legs. It's put up with a lot of abuse, summer, winter, being dragged through thick spruce on bushwhacks, and it's looking and feeling pretty long in the tooth. The Cloudwalker still has life left in it, but I use it more for skating than anything else. The big issue is weight. Empty, the Cloudwalker weighs 3 pounds, and the Kestrel weighs 3.3 pounds, so I'm looking to lighten things up, and find a happy medium between the two.

I've narrowed it down to 3 choices: The Lowe Alpine Lightflite 25, the Black Diamond Blaze, and the Osprey Hornet 24.

Of the three, the Blaze is cheapest at $80 (on sale), the lightest at 12oz, but also the smallest at 18L, and lacks hip-belt pockets (not necessarily a deal-breaker). The Lightflite is next cheapest at $90, weighs 14oz, has the largest capacity at 24.7L, and has a myriad of storage options (not to mention hip-belt pockets). The Hornet on the other hand is the most expensive at $107 (on sale), weighs the most at 1lb 3oz for the M/L, has the second highest capacity at 24L, and has all the usual Osprey bells and whistles (except an integrated raincover).

I've found scant reviews for the Lightflite or the Blaze, and seen mostly positive reviews for the Hornet. I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with these packs, and if the extra money and extra weight of the Hornet is worth it compared to what the other options have going for them.

Thanks! :D

Cheers,

Bill

I've used about a dozen packs over the last decade but keep coming back to the original Golite Breeze. You can still find them, new, if you look.

The best is the so-called first generation Breeze, when Jardine was still doing the design. But actually the second iteration, with slightly more shoulder strap padding and tougher, more durable webbing. My original Breeze, one of the first off the line, had its webbing shredded on its first bushwhack. Golite replaced it with the improved version and with minor sewing up of the webbing every few years, still going strong. Good up to about 19 pounds (including the pack itself). Can haul 25-26 temporarily when extra water is needed and during the initial full food load on a long trip, but it's really not comfortable much over 19.

For more bells and whistles and an increased comfortable load capacity up into the 20's, ULA probably makes the best packs today.

Last edited:
Hi Bill - No opinion on the packs themselves but one thought. If I was looking at three packs within a $27 price range, I'd probably take that out of the decision and focus on the other factors. Over the life and use of the pack, that's not much IMO. Get the one you decide is best.

Good luck!

I've had great luck in the past with all my Lowe Alpine equipment. As you may know the company has a bit of almost a cult following. I don't know why the brand is not more popular here. I believe the bulk of their sales are in the UK. Of your needs I think the Lowe pack looks best regardless.

here it is for $72 with free shipping; http://www.campsaver.com/lowe-alpine-lightflite-25-backpack

Last edited:
Of your needs I think the Lowe pack looks best
Hey, that does look really nice for 14 oz. I'm really not familiar with it.

If anybody wants a lightly-used one in a few weeks, for about $60, I'll likely have one available.

Last edited:
I've had great luck in the past with all my Lowe Alpine equipment. As you may know the company has a bit of almost a cult following. I don't know why the brand is not more popular here.

Yeah, what he said. In twenty-six years of owning them and five years of selling them, I've yet to hear of a Lowe Alpine pack that was not worth the investment. "If it fits, BUY IT!" ;)

Osprey does an awesome job with the all mighty guarantee. I sent my Stratos 40 in with some worn spots and one bad zipper and they replaced every part that was worn and ALL the zippers! Very happy with them as a company. I also have a Talon-22 which is a good mid-sized/summer pack.

Tim

I do not disagree with your point, Chip. I have only owned Ospreys, having tried many different packs, and liked the fit of Osprey the best. I am generally fairly hard on my gear, so durability is not to be discounted. If you buy one, however, it is nice to know that if the durability suffers, you can get a like-new pack for the cost of shipping (and the 2-3 week turnaround... it was half the predicted time in my case.)

Tim

Came today. I badly misread the capacity number on the Lowe Alpine Lightflite 25 (the description CLEARLY says 1500 cu in but my old eyes got BIG with the "25" in the pack name). I'll have it posted somewhere soon, brand new, never out of the house. Looks nicely made.

Last edited:
Came today. I badly misread the capacity number on the Lowe Alpine Lightflite 25 (the description CLEARLY says 1500 cu in but my old eyes got BIG with the "25" in the pack name). I'll have it posted somewhere soon, brand new, never out of the house. Looks nicely made.

Can't you just return it ? Maybe brobichaud wants it ?

Yes indeed, I would be interested. PM sent.

Can't you just return it ?
The mistake was mine, no reason the seller should be inconvenienced. I actually try out new gear a lot and sell it, almost new, for around 15% off (and since I buy on sales that's usually 25-30% off list) . Only difference here is, it's brand new with no use at all.

For future finders of this thread: the Lowe Alpine Lightflite 25 looked very nice, very well constructed. Possibly a great weekend pack for minimalists like me into the fringes of the Whites shoulder seasons. But no way a several-day pack except in the warmest times where your sleeping bag packs down to water-bottle size. Basically you can't fit a decent sized sleeping bag (even compression bagged) AND food for several days AND some fleece and down and rain gear. Close, but the side pockets are very small and there is not much in back-panel storage.

As usual, I'm back to my old GoLite Breeze.

Gregory

ck out gregory packs. for a nice size day pack i have the gals gregory jade. a "semi-light" pack with good stability and support and nice features. not sure if the guys version is a jade or not but they also have the new type of cross flo ventilated back. Doesn't stick out too much like some which throws off fit. I got mine at Sierra Trading post on sale - also ck Ebay many sporting retailers such as BackCountry, REI, etc sell there stuff for great prices on there now.