energy bars

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the Snickers fans: Snickers hold up better in warmer weather, but they freeze pretty solid in winter. Reeses do not.

In the woods I was weaned on home made gorp (trail mix), chunks of cheese, salami and sardines on Stoned Wheat Thins. Still do not carry Energy Bars, per se, maybe the chocolate dipped granola bars we normally have around as snacks if nothing better is available.

It's cold when I hike so I stay away from the bars that get like a rock and stick to those that are more of the "packed grain" variety so I can keep my teeth. Another option is the "Power Bar Energy Bites". It's a reclosable bag of 8 or so bite-sized power bars. Even if they freeze you can just pop it in your mouth and let it thaw. You also can spread out the snack over a period of time or share with friends.

For the Snickers fans: Snickers hold up better in warmer weather, but they freeze pretty solid in winter. Reeses do not.

In the woods I was weaned on home made gorp (trail mix), chunks of cheese, salami and sardines on Stoned Wheat Thins. Still do not carry Energy Bars, per se, maybe the chocolate dipped granola bars we normally have around as snacks if nothing better is available.

I know damselfly cuts hers into bite-sized pieces in the winter to avoid the freezing problem.

For me, lunches are always a challenge when I'm out on a multi-day backpack. Recently I've been relying on Clif Bars. (and I always have a bag of GORP along as well). It's usually my home made mix, but for convience, I sometimes buy the Hannaford trail mix.

I dislike all the energy bars except Snickers!

I do however really love Nature Valleys new high protein bars. Specifically this one. The has a similar one with peanut butter but I like this one best.
http://www.amazon.com/Nature-Valley-Almond-Dark-Chocolate/dp/B005VOOOM0
Our Big Y here at home has them.

I do like their other nut bars but find this one to be tops!

I used to like Nature Valley bars until I read their NuVal score and saw that they have the nutritional value of ice cream. In fact all the energy bars get very low NuVal ratings, basically on the level of Baby Ruth and Snickers.

I still eat them on longer hikes because they're easier to deal with than candy bars. Or ice cream.

Last edited:
I used to like Nature Valley bars until I read their NuVal score and saw that they have the nutritional value of ice cream. In fact all the energy bars get very low NuVal ratings, basically on the level of Baby Ruth and Snickers.

I still eat them on longer hikes because they're easier to deal with than candy bars. Or ice cream.

I don't think many people are eating this stuff for the nutritional value. :D Quick energy doesn't often equate to a high nutritional content, at least from what I've found. Maybe we're just buying into the marketing and I'm way off, but I think there are a lot of statistics to back it up. They have a really high calorie concentration, which serves the purpose here. Apple = 100 calories, energy bar = 200-300. Imagine trying to eat like 5-10 apples on a hike... My tummy would not approve(when I used to be able to eat them). I wouldn't ever substitute an energy bar for a meal, though. I don't think I've ever eaten a true "energy bar" as a snack where I wasn't exercising.

Having said that, I usually try to bring along some fruit like blueberries, blackberries or grapes and a sandwich for lunch. I wish I could bring apples or pears but I have OAS. :(

Last edited:

In the winter I carry a couple of Snickers bars in my shirt pocket. It keeps them in a very edible condition.

I don't have a favorite energy bar, but I usually will carry up to 5 energy bars on any hike, and something like combos or a little bit of trail mix for a more lunch-like snack if the hike calls for it. I definitely like Snickers on the trail, and on several recent hikes, one has found its way into my pack to go along with my few Clif bars. I like the Powerbar Protein bars that are soft and also nutter butters. Not so much with Clif bars, but Snickers seems to always increase the energy noticeably.

I generally don't like any of bars that not soft in the package. Another good one I'll try more often is the Nature Valley re-charge, but its hit or miss in the convenience stores. Its not hard like all of the other Nature Valley bars.

Actually, my favorite trail snack might be the nutter butters. In the winter (or anytime) mix it with a sip of water and its amazing. That is if you like peanut butter and your water is not frozen, but at least the nutter butter doesn't freeze.

You are right about Nutter butters! I don't know why but they taste better when eaten outdoors.

I don't typically carry energy bars but will occasionally buy one if it's cheap. I seem to recall the Power Bar Harvest being much better than regular Power Bars and somewhat soft. I believe it was chocolate chip or brownie or something similar flavor. When I long distance backpack, I will always stick to Snickers or other candy bar (nutrageous used to be a AT thru hiker favorite since it had most calories).

Last edited:
These days food comprises of PB & J, gorp (found trail mix & granola aka Grail Mix, a big plus for Monty Phyton fans :D) turkey peperoni & laughing cow cheese wrapped in wax. All do well in cold weather, the cheese & peperoni good for below zero. Will also eat newtons & other good tasting food providing it packs well.

On bars, power bars in the winter are too hard, cliff bars were much better. Have tried some of the better tasting fruit bars but not enough in the winter for giving recommendations.

Pop tarts of course allow you to eat more calories than you may actually burn. (okay so for the ride up from CT, I'd have two packets of two before I started which was a full day of calories before I even started on the trail. (add lunch & snacks on the trail & a grinder or some pizza & soem snickers or other chocolate to go with the coffee to me awake on the way home and..... :eek::eek:)