West Kennebago Fire Tower RIP

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
Took a hike last week up the West Kennebago Trail to the summit of West Kennebago, elevation 3700 or 3705. Had done this fairly easy 4.5 mile hike about 9 years ago. Got to the summit and found that it was gone and that something new was being built up there. There was a tower that was partially erected and some footings for other structures. Many of the trees in the summit area have been cut and there was lots of heavy equipment, including a rock splitter there, obviously delivered via helicopter.

Did some online research and discovered the following:

• The firetower was removed in May of this year.
  • The new tower is a communications tower, with a small building and helipad probably being added.

Late last week, we got a view of West Kennebago from the highway and the tower was much more visible, indicating that they added some sections.

For those interested in this seldom used and relatively easy 4.5 mile hike, you can get to the trailhead as follows:
  • Go north on Morton Cutoff off Route 16, near Cupsuptic Campground.
  • Take Morton Cutoff for 3.2 miles +/-until it comes to a T stop with Lincoln Pond (Tim Pond) Road.
  • Take Lincoln Pond (Tim Pond) Road 5.4 miles. Look for a sign that says "Trail" on the left. There is a parking area just before the trailhead.

Alas, another one bites the dust. :(

Marty

I can confirm that, should you wish to come down Tim Pond Road from 27/Eustis, it is in really great shape - Stu & I drove it on Sunday. We did not have time to tackle this one on this particular trip. I will try to get out a full trip report later this week.

Tim

A lot of these Maine towers are coming down. In Moosehead region, Big Moose and Big Spencer have both come down in past couple years. Both have helicoptors working on communications facilities. Big Spencer was just the site of a fire during the dry spell in past couple weeks that started near the communication construction that burned for days.

Sorry to hear that, Marty. I enjoyed the views of Kennebago Lake and the Spotteds from that tower.

Yes, the state's MSCommNet statewide communication project is driving alot of these removals. West Kennebago was to be preserved at a museum, but was in too bad shape to be airlifted off the summit, so it had to be sent to scrap. Peices of it may still be sitting down at the sandpit next to Kennebago Lake. The Big Moose tower was airlifted down to the new Greenville visitor center (on RT15) last fall and will be restored there. If you drive by and look down in the clearing, you can still see it there. Big Spencer tower is actually still standing, but the cab blew off in 2009. It is still used as a communication tower.

The West Kennebago site will have an 80 foot tower when it is all said and done. They should have cleared out much of the summit to make way for the building, etc. Did they open up any views?

Bill

The West Kennebago site will have an 80 foot tower when it is all said and done. They should have cleared out much of the summit to make way for the building, etc. Did they open up any views?Bill

Yes Bill. Much of the summit area was cleared and there are some nice views. There is not a full 360, as the summit area is fairly flat, particularly on the west side.

Marty