Presidentials via Crawford Path, Gulfside Trail, Summit Loops, Valley Way

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH Tramper

Reaction score
Date of Hike: Aug 14-16, 2012

Trail Conditions: Overall there was a mixed bag of trail conditions from dry trail to muddy patches to some running water. Crawford Path exemplified this as would have Valley Way if not for the rain. Gulfside Trail and the various Summit Loops were, of course, a tad rocky with a little bit of soft ground here are there. Valley Way was wet but it had been raining before and during part of my descent. There was also one easy-over birch blowdown on Valley Way. The one small stream crossing was easy. I pretty much carefully rock hopped and ran down this trail. According to my noted times I actually descended in less than an hour.

Special Equipment Required: None, though trekking poles might help with rock-hopping on the rocky and wet trails mentioned. I certainly found them helpful.

Bugs: None that I noticed with exception to a zillion tiny gnats or whatever on the summit of Mt. Adams only.

Other: Alpine zone blueberries are still ripe and are at their sweetest right now it seems. Yum.

Comments: This was a partial, S-N, multi-day traverse (I already bagged Jackson as part of a Crawford Notch circumnavigation a couple months ago). I did it in three legs to make it more of a mini-vacation. I even stayed at the LOTC and MS huts. That was a first and overall a good experience. Especially my stay at the MS hut and the summer Croo's last night. I met a lot of cool people from thru hikers, other traversers, even some Facebook friends: 2:30 (toothhurty), Flatlander, Nate and his family, Brad and son Henry (a youth spike camp trail maintainer), Tom, London Lisa from Paris (Fr.), Sarah (FF), Steff (FF), Steve (FF), and many others -- I forgot many names. This hike finished my lists: lifetime list (finished on Peirce on the 14th) and my 2012 single season effort (finished on Madison on the 16th).

This was an awesome hike and a fun adventure. If I get some time I may write a full trip report later on since there's a lot to tell.

Mike "Tramper" Cherim
Nottingham NH

Last edited: