Mt Jefferson from the Great Gulf: up Six Husbands, down Sphinx (8/18/2012)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaze

Reaction score
I was long overdue for a return trip to the spectacular Six Husbands Trail, which I had only done once before, many moons ago... Carmen had never done it.

Great day to be above treeline, with dramatic low clouds rolling over the summits and slowly down the ravines, but also with intermittent sunshine and plentiful long views. We saw two other parties on Six Husbands.

Soggy slick trails made for a slow and cautious descent down Sphinx. The last shot was taken from Route 16 near the Auto Road base, on the drive home.

Thanks to Carmen for a great hike!

p700038917-4.jpg

p931715370-4.jpg

p543964468-4.jpg

p818638494-4.jpg

p646436907-4.jpg

p887957119-4.jpg

p644764262-4.jpg

Photo gallery

Last edited:
...and just for fun, here's a blast from the past. June 2003, my one prior time on the Six Husbands Trail. Here's my buddy Norm, with whom I bagged many summits in pursuit of our NE 100, on one of Six Husbands' numerous ladders.

He's looking a bit damp, and tired, and perhaps peeved at me for (a) pointing a camera at him and (b) making him carry a full pack (external frame no less) up Six Husbands. Which seemed like a good idea at the time... younger and crazier days.

Norm is a one-year pancreatic cancer survivor... he is with me in thought every time I go hiking.

p779655406-4.jpg

Hey Blaze,

I was with the party with the four guys! Great pictures. It sure was an epic day. I won't be doing that descent down the Sphinx Trail again anytime soon. :eek:

What type of camera were you guys using?

Last edited:
Thank you Unstrung and TrishandAlex for your kind comments.

Hey Blaze,

I was with the party with the four guys! Great pictures. It sure was an epic day. I won't be doing that descent down the Sphinx Trail again anytime soon. :eek:

What type of camera were you guys using?

I remember meeting you briefly on Mt Garfield a few winters ago (2/15/2009 perhaps?) ... sorry I did not recognize you!

Sony NEX-5n, 18-55 kit lens, cheapie polarizing filter. What a wonderful day for photography!