Owl's Head. Why did we wait this long? (8/19/12)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff&Henry

Reaction score
Route: Lincoln Woods Trail > Franconia Brook Trail > Lincoln Brook Trail > Owl's Head Path

Full photo library

-----

Brief comment about Owl's Head (for those who have yet to do it):

Owl's head gets a bad rap. Yes, it's long. Yes, it'll take a full day, but 80% of it is an easy stroll through remote wilderness. You follow some wonderful rivers (with a few lively crossings, so do you research ahead of time), scramble up a rock slide (we thought most like the south slide off the Tripyramids), and you'll enjoy some unique views of the Franconia Ridge.

See my photo library if you don't believe me
! Just do it!

------

The day had finally come to take-down the dreaded Owl's Head. We, like many hikers, had slowly pushed Owl's head down lower and lower on our list; for us it would be 42. Accordingly, we found ourselves driving up 93N at 6:30 AM with a beautiful fog obscuring the mountain valleys, but revealing the mountain ridges and a perfect blue sky.

We felt like we had been blessed by the hiking Gods; 48 degrees and low humidity. And we would begin wearing layers! We got started at about 7:30 AM.

So many hikes thrust you immediately into sweat producing, heart pounding climbs. Owl's Head eases you in. The first hour or so (all the way to the Franconia Brook trail) is a delightfully calming stroll along a wide, old rail bed. We both found (1) the hypnotic repetition of stepping over the old rail ties, and (2) the constant rush and gurgling sounds of the East Branch Pemi river, a nice way to begin the day and warm up. The Lincoln Woods Trail, as well as the East Branch Pemi River still reveal the scars of Irene; we would see her work throughout the hike.

At about an hour and ten minutes we left the big rail bed and turned into the woods onto Franconia Brook Trail. After about another hour and some relatively easy stream crossings, we were at the intersection of the Lincoln Brook Trail. Our pace was good, as we covered almost 4.7 miles in two hours. The next 3.4 miles would take about the same amount of time.

Shortly after joining LBT we encountered our first (of two) big river crossings. Thankfully, the river was running rather low, but we had to remove our boots, which felt FANTASTIC. And thanks to the advice from some other hikers, we kept our flip-flops on for the brief 15 minute stroll to the next big crossing of Lincoln Brook. It was great to give our feet a break and let them cool down.

At about the four hour mark, we found ourselves at the intersection with the Owl's Head Path. Time for a break, some lunch and a full hydrating. The real work was finally about to begin. It was also at this point that we paired up with Philip - who would be our hiking partner up and down the slide, and for much of the way back. Hope you got your campsite Philip!

Note: there's a small cairn in the middle of the Lincoln Brook Trail, but that was about it. We built it up a bit and "lined" the start of the Owl's Head Path with some deadfall trees. Personally, without the cairn, I could have easily walked past the trail.

On any other hike, the Owl's Head slide wouldn't seem so bad - we thought it was very similar to the south slide on the Tripyramids. But when you're four hours in, it feels a harder, save for the WONDERFUL views to your back as you're climbing. On the slide, you'll also enjoy some of the first sun in quite some time.

The summit of Owl's Head is a bit misleading. There's a clearing just before the "old summit" which could easily be mistaken as the summit - a party of four that we saw that it was. The "old" summit has a very small rock pile (cairn would be too generous) which has an arrow pointing towards the actual summit, about .2 through a maze of heard paths. I bet you won't go back the same path you came out. The real or "new" summit has a large, hard to miss cairn. And although the summit is wooded, you can easily peak through the trees in some spots to lovely views of Franconia Ridge.

We summited in about 5 hours 15 minutes. And then begin the hike back to the car. ;-) The great thing about this hike - no shortage of water. At the bottom of the slide, we filtered water and all enjoy the nice cold mountain water drink. We'd earned it.

We arrived back at the car at 6:10 PM. nearly 11 hours later. But it was a wonderful day in the Whites. Not only did we knock off the dreaded Owl's Head, we enjoyed it.

And that makes 42. Six more to go...

Just do it!

-------

Full photo library

Best photos of the day:

Autumn leaves?

Washout

Bog

Mushroom 1

Mushroom 2

Don't know what this is...but cool looking

River crossing

-----------------

JW
42/48
[email protected]

PS: Thanks to all those who answered some questions I posted prior the hike. You input was very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Jeff,
Nice report and photos on the dreaded Owl's Head. We've done basically the same thing with 9 - 4000 footers to go. After reading several recent reports on Owl's Head, I am beginning to loose my dreadfulness towards this mountain.:D I always looked at it as a dreadfully long and boring hike; but seems not so. Looking forward to our attempt in the future.

Donna:)

Good job rebuilding the cairn! I'm sure the next people that come along will appreciate that. :)

Nice photos as well!

Good job rebuilding the cairn! I'm sure the next people that come along will appreciate that. :)

Nice photos as well!

It begs the questions, though: who keeps taking the cairns down--and don't they have better things to do? Seems harmless enough.

Nice report, thanks for posting. :)

It begs the questions, though: who keeps taking the cairns down--and don't they have better things to do? Seems harmless enough.

Nice report, thanks for posting. :)

That's exactly what we thought. And it was obvious they were "dismantled" because very close by there were numerous rocks just sitting around. Building up the cairn took all of 5 minutes.

One hiker mentioned they were signs by they kept getting stolen? Not sure if that's true...sad if it is. Oh well...we left it very clear, for the next round of fearless hikers to Owl's Head!

That's exactly what we thought. And it was obvious they were "dismantled" because very close by there were numerous rocks just sitting around. Building up the cairn took all of 5 minutes.

One hiker mentioned they were signs by they kept getting stolen? Not sure if that's true...sad if it is. Oh well...we left it very clear, for the next round of fearless hikers to Owl's Head!

I want to be careful what I say, as I'm not as well versed in the history of the signage, and current lack of. But my understanding is that in years past, signs for the summit of that remote peak were sometimes taken as souvenirs. Current wilderness policies don't allow for any signs marking the slide route or summit(s) at all. It's my opinion that a simple cairn on the bottom, and one on top to mark the summit could probably be "overlooked" by the powers that be, and save a lot of pointless wandering around by confused hikers. The damage to any wilderness aesthetic would be minimal.

Another member of the "ex-Owl's Head dreaders, now Owl's Head lovers club". Awesome! Sounds like your experience went much like ours. Good luck with your final 6. A nice fall home stretch. Donna - more evidence for you - we'll make you an Owl's Head convert too!

It begs the questions, though: who keeps taking the cairns down--and don't they have better things to do? [...]

Maybe the forest service. I spoke with a FS alpine steward on Franconia Range a few weeks back and he was asking about the cairns marking the Owl's Head Path trail head. He wanted to know if they were up and explained that FS personnel keep dismantling them but they keep getting rebuilt. I suggested they just stop the war and mark the path to prevent 8 million herd paths like there is on the summit. He agreed but it wasn't his call. He then went on to explain that people building cairns is getting to be a big problem, especially on/near summits. He went on to explain that sometimes well-meaning people put up cairns but do so in the wrong places -- feeling this can lead to accidents or lost trails -- and that more often than not they build them improperly (or supplement existing cairns with filler stones). He said that they are built a specific way; if they don't drain properly they can heave in the winter and break apart.

Maybe the forest service. I spoke with a FS alpine steward on Franconia Range a few weeks back and he was asking about the cairns marking the Owl's Head Path trail head. He wanted to know if they were up and explained that FS personnel keep dismantling them but they keep getting rebuilt. I suggested they just stop the war and mark the path to prevent 8 million herd paths like there is on the summit. He agreed but it wasn't his call. He then went on to explain that people building cairns is getting to be a big problem, especially on/near summits. He went on to explain that sometimes well-meaning people put up cairns but do so in the wrong places -- feeling this can lead to accidents or lost trails -- and that more often than not they build them improperly (or supplement existing cairns with filler stones). He said that they are built a specific way; if they don't drain properly they can heave in the winter and break apart.

Agree completely. Sounds like we're all on the same page...with a little bureaucracy in the middle. Your example of the herd paths on the summit are exactly why. The summit is being trampled, and they need to consider the lesser of two "evils".

(And if the cairns are an issue, we still lined the trail intersection with dead-fall trees...hopefully they don't mind that!) ;-)

Congrats! Not many left now! The Owl is daunting on paper, but in reality not that bad. You're so right about this one easing you into the hike, rather than being steep from the get-go.

[thread drift]
re: cairns at summit and at junction to the slide

This is part of a bigger narrative - shelters, suspension bridges, summit signs, summit canisters, boot leg hiking trails, boot leg ski trails, etc.

The Federal Wilderness regulations and the USFS Forest Plan for the WMNF apply to the Owl's Head summit. Yes, I would like to see an exception should be written into the laws/rules/regulations to allow cairns at the OH summit and at junction to the OH slide since its status on the AMC list precedes the Wilderness designation.

I do not know how much discretion is given to the assigned FS Ranger but I don't blame police officers for enforcing laws I disagree with and I think the same courtesy should be given to the USFS rangers as well.

Also I am not sure how much discretion should be given to the the USFS. Do we really want to have the USFS employees deciding which rules they will enforce and which they won't. That could lead to allowing mountain bikes, ATVs, cutting of bootleg ski trails, etc.

[/thread drift]