Garfield, an unusual way

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Sikes

Reaction score
We were finally going to hike as a family...all of us, at the same time, the same mountain. This was a monumental day....the first time we had done this since Matthew came along.

Originally, we were going to hike Flume and Liberty but my husband read the book and was concerned for "Matthew". I explained to him that I had hike this before with the kids when they were the same age as Matthew along with 2 other kids and a corgi we had to carry up Flume Slide. We were all fine and the kids had a blast. Adam also wanted to do something different since he had hiked these two a bit ago and wanted to do something else. We decided on Garfield...can't argue about the great views and the mileage was the same. I was just happy we were all together.

We were suppose to go up the Garfield Trail. (Makes sense if you are taking the same trail up as you do down) We ended up going up the Gale River Trail which is quite easy but wet. This meant, however, that we had to go over the Garfield Ridge Trail to get to Garfield adding 2 1/2 miles. That section of trail had alot of mud and one steep area with water coming down it. It worked out but I was a little concerned Matthew was not going to appreciate the extra 2 1/2 miles and Beth either (her knees are always an issue. Thank you soccer!)

Because of the extra mileage, we didn't get to spend as much time on the top as we wanted. (It was such an amazingly beautiful day and great temps) but had a great time being together for the beginning, top and end (Adam and Beth were way ahead of us) by about 1 hour). Matthew still enjoyed himself, although near the end said his legs were tired. So were mine. haha.

There was one section of the Garfield trail that was a little confusing...lots of "rivers" and the trail was through them. You could see the trail but it was interesting. Don't remember this from the other times I have hiked it but it's been a while.

I asked the family if they wanted to go back out today to do another mountain and they all gave me the look. Where did those kids go that were ready to go on a dime day after day. (haha) guess they are getting older! I'm seeing a Bond backpacking trip in our future. heehee