Last on the List, A Vacation Tale

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marnof

Reaction score
Last on the List, A Vacation Tale (Bonds Traverse, Potash, Lincoln-Lafayette) 8/2012

This report features highlights of a family vacation in Weare, NH. But, as you might guess, the highlights (for me) are usually hiking related!

Our base camp was an old farmhouse with a great view that reaches from the Uncanoonucs to the Pack Monadnocks. Weather during our time there was hit and miss, typical for summer. A nice double rainbow formed over North Uncanoonuc in Goffstown on a stormy afternoon--a sign of good things to come.

This year I was hoping to catch some great weather and finish my NH48 with a Bonds traverse. Without internet or smartphone, I did rely quite a bit on my wife's iPhone to dial in a perfect day for the traverse. My wife and daughter dropped me off at the trailhead on Zealand Rd. with my car left at Lincoln Woods.

I found the hike to Zealand summit very enjoyable, with marshes, ponds and waterfalls to gawk at along the way.

The summit of Zealand, for me, is even more anticlimactic than Owl's Head, and for that reason alone it deserves recognition. That's one amazing pile of rocks in the woods! Just keep repeating "It's about the journey!!" when you see it, lest you become discouraged and run back to the trailhead at this point.

Having passed Zealand Hut, and approaching Mt. Guyot, the trail breaks out into the open, with amazing vistas in every direction. Up until this point I had seen many hikers on the trail, but for this stretch to West Bond, only a couple people. It's an amazing place to hike through by yourself, with ravens and hawks making appearances occasionally, like this one over Southwest Twin.

I have to agree with the opinion that West Bond may have the best views in the Whites. I would have enjoyed sitting on that summit, facing each direction for a half hour, and just soaking it all in. Looking down to Redrock Pond, across the Pemi Wilderness to Franconia Ridge, and the stunning view to Bondcliff is something I'll never forget. But this is a long hike, so I spent just 20 minutes at this amazing place before heading to Bond.

Soon enough I was approaching my destination, the last on a list of 48 peaks that I have been visiting over the years, on vacations and stolen moments away from work and family. Part of me dreads taking those final steps, as if somehow, having completed that list I'll lose all sense of purpose, my interest in hiking, and retire to the LazyBoy armchair. Not likely.

I was lucky to meet a very nice pair of hikers from Franconia who were completing their 40th on Bondcliff. They were gracious enough to capture my thrilling and somewhat unconventional ascent of Bondcliff for posterity. No boring obligatory Bondcliff summit shot for this 48 finisher! No sireeee. DISCLAIMER: This is photoshopped and should never be attempted by anyone without protection (and life insurance policy in force.) And thanks to the very kind man who helped memorialize the moment for me.

The thrill of Bondcliff helped propel me onward through the woods to my waiting car at Lincoln Woods. I had revisited this area a week before on an Owl's Head hike and learned to deal with the potential tedium by cranking up my pace double-time.

The next fair weather day on the calendar was a chance to hike with my wife and daughter, this time to a great peak just off the Kancamagus Highway: Potash Mountain. We opted for the forest road access rather than the traditional trailhead. Last year I had to bushwhack upstream in order to safely cross Downes Brook due to TS Irene damage, and found the forest road to be a decent alternative. There was no shortage of moose tracks, snakes and mosquitos on the road for entertainment on this day. After intersecting the actual trail, the hiking started in earnest. For a fairly short and moderate hike, Potash Mt. has some great views, like this view to Green's Cliff and Carrigain beyond.

A photo of three intrepid hikers on Potash Mountain blocking a great view towards Passaconaway:

We had the summit to ourselves for lunch, soon other hikers arrived and settled in as we were readying to head back down.

As luck would have it, another window of fair weather opened up for my daughter and I to do a classic hike: the Lincoln-Lafayette loop--up Falling Waters trail to Little Haystack Mt., Mt. Lincoln and Mt. Lafayette, then down the Greenleaf/Carriage Road trails. The scenery was incredibly beautiful on the Falling Waters trail that day, not to mention the pretty waterfalls!

This is a very popular route, and the trail was as busy as any I've seen in the Whites. The weather August 18 called for improving conditions as the day went on, which is exactly what we encountered on this counterclockwise loop. The clouds moved out of our way as we progressed up the ridge from Little Haystack to Lincoln.

On the approach to Lafayette, it looked like we would again have an open summit, but the bottom of a cloud did slide by during our break on top. Now that's a cool experience in itself--and one of my favorites--seeing pieces of a cloud wafting by, as it scrapes slowly over the the summit. Before we stopped at Greenleaf Hut on the descent, the summit was clear again.

A great vacation by all means, and outstanding hiking in the White Mountains, as usual. I have to say, I'm very grateful to the hiking community and moderators on this forum for all the invaluable information and inspiration they provide--it's a reference I continue to turn to for up-to-the-moment logistical support. Sites like these serve to keep the fire burning for those of us that don't always have access to the mountains, and make safe travel easier for us when we get there. For my part, I'll continue to pass along to the next generation my enthusiasm for hiking, which isn't that hard to do--once you're exposed to the views from the top! Thanks, Mark

Last edited:
Total time, Bonds traverse N-S

Great TR - many thanks! On your N-S Bonds traverse - approx how long did it take you? We're planning that Zealand to Lincoln Woods trek over Labor Day. I'd hoped to spot cars night before, then hit Zealand by 5:30 am. We tend to hike about 15% off of book time so the length of the traverse makes me a little wary (although we did Owls Head 2 weeks ago). Headlamps are always an option but prefer daylight. Also wish I could do some kind of ramp up hike prior to the Bonds, but life has forced us to do other things the past weekends. Power yoga is a poor substitute for carrying a pack up 3700' of gain but will have to do for more week. Thanks again for sharing your journey and your hang-from-the-cliff photo.

Great TR - many thanks! On your N-S Bonds traverse - approx how long did it take you? We're planning that Zealand to Lincoln Woods trek over Labor Day. I'd hoped to spot cars night before, then hit Zealand by 5:30 am. We tend to hike about 15% off of book time so the length of the traverse makes me a little wary (although we did Owls Head 2 weeks ago). Headlamps are always an option but prefer daylight. Also wish I could do some kind of ramp up hike prior to the Bonds, but life has forced us to do other things the past weekends. Power yoga is a poor substitute for carrying a pack up 3700' of gain but will have to do for more week. Thanks again for sharing your journey and your hang-from-the-cliff photo.

Time stamps on my wife's camera and mine show 7:38am-5:51pm. I hiked at a moderate pace, but did stop at every pond, waterfall, view, etc. to look around, photograph, and hang out a bit on each of the Bonds. I think your 5:30am start is a great idea, as you'll have less available daylight by Labor Day, as are the headlamps--just in case. I was pretty fresh from my Owl's Head trip, so I was good to go the distance. The elevation gain was mainly in the Zealand portion of the hike--so it seemed. Honestly, I was too busy having fun after that to notice. And the col's didn't seem very deep between the peaks. I traveled fairly light: 100oz of Gatorade, filter, a couple Granola bars and a container of tabouleh for lunch on W. Bond., along with the requisite emergency stuff. --oh, and a Monster energy drink on Bondcliff to turbocharge my hike out to Lincoln Woods--

Thanks for the kind words, and enjoy the trek! It's amazing!

Last edited:

To reiterate an earlier point, of the 3700' gain, 2300' is on the Zealand ascent and the rest is spread out over Guyot and the three Bonds--typical ridgeline peakbagging.

And I share your sentiment about life getting in the way of hiking sometimes! :D

Congratulations! Shame about the weather for the Bonds traverse though :rolleyes:

I find that my time for this traverse is, as a percentage of book time, lower than many other hikes, simply because there are long stretches of flat and the footing is generally pretty good. You will spend time gawking, however, and it is the longest "standard" peakbagging trip out there.

Tim

Congratulations! Shame about the weather for the Bonds traverse though :rolleyes:

I find that my time for this traverse is, as a percentage of book time, lower than many other hikes, simply because there are long stretches of flat and the footing is generally pretty good. You will spend time gawking, however, and it is the longest "standard" peakbagging trip out there.

Tim

Thanks, Tim. Yeah, the weather was almost too good! I thought I had everything packed, but forgot the sunscreen and ended up draping my shirt over my head/shoulders on W. Bond just to get out of the sun for lunch!

Congratulations on completing the 48. Loved the photo from Bondcliff. The best one I've ever seen (even if photoshopped). Wholeheartedly agree with you and Twin Mom that no matter how much you try it is very difficult to get in shape for the " big ones." Especially since we don't live in NH.

Donna:)

Congratulations on completing the 48. Loved the photo from Bondcliff. The best one I've ever seen (even if photoshopped). Wholeheartedly agree with you and Twin Mom that no matter how much you try it is very difficult to get in shape for the " big ones." Especially since we don't live in NH.

Donna:)

Thanks, Donna. Like I tell my friends, I really hike for fun, and the list is just a convenient excuse to do more hiking. But that traverse had to be the most fun I've had on a hike! I may say that after a lot of hikes, though...:rolleyes:

And yes--the only way to train for some of these hikes is to climb CT hills 2X or 3X! Best, Mark

Congratulations on the finish! Those are great photos, and looks like mostly great weather for you. Its always fantastic seeing a rainbow, and the photo-shopped cliff hanger is just perfect. Last weekend on the Bonds, I also saw the birds flying all around. It looks like a huge dragonfly paid you a visit on Potash (in the photo). Nice!

Love the PhotoShopped picture!

Thanks, I thought of that before I got there, and luckily someone was there to hold the camera and take a few shots for me. I was resorting to setting up video/still frames when a hiker offered. That's just how cool the people hiking the White Mts are.

Congratulations on the finish! Those are great photos, and looks like mostly great weather for you. Its always fantastic seeing a rainbow, and the photo-shopped cliff hanger is just perfect. Last weekend on the Bonds, I also saw the birds flying all around. It looks like a huge dragonfly paid you a visit on Potash (in the photo). Nice!

Thanks--the dragonfly really made that photo for me. And I am definitely a sucker for birds, from the raptors to the gray jays. From Guyot to W. Bond it starting feeling pretty remote, with the hawk kiting and screeching and ravens going at it. Just awesome. :)

That is truly the best bond pic yet! Even if it is Photoshopped!! Beautiful pics of a beautiful area! I love the hike out to Guyot, it feels so remote.

Isn't NH great!!

Congrats on the finish, what's next???

That is truly the best bond pic yet! Even if it is Photoshopped!! Beautiful pics of a beautiful area! I love the hike out to Guyot, it feels so remote.

Isn't NH great!!

Congrats on the finish, what's next???

Thank you, hiking lady! I agree that NH is truly great, and now that I'm liberated from my list ;) I can pursue other destinations that have piqued my interest along the way. I like to hike off the Kanc in autumn, so I might check out the Moats and Green's Cliff. There are a ton of trails I'd like to check out, in the vein of the "Terrifying 25." Always wanted to go out to 13 Falls too. Those sound pretty appealing. Maybe more winter hikes... Too many great hikes to do! Not enough time!!!:D

Good luck bagging those peaks! Mark

Congrats are in order! You picked a fine one to finish on too. Cheers, Stu

Congrats are in order! You picked a fine one to finish on too. Cheers, Stu

Thanks so much, Stu!

Coincidence? I was planning on bringing some special homebrewed beer to toast the occasion, but decided against it for a few reasons: Not enough room in the pack; toasting oneself is kinda sillly; it's pretty heady stuff and would probably have me lying down for a nap on Bondcliff. Not in the gameplan. The name of the brew is Stupelo. :D Cheers, Mark

Congrats! I missed this post when it first went up ( must have been in the mountains ;) ). Great way to finish and an overall great family trip. Nice! Loved the shot on Bondcliff. Had to do a double take till I saw the Photoshop comment. Well done.

Congrats! I missed this post when it first went up ( must have been in the mountains ;) ). Great way to finish and an overall great family trip. Nice! Loved the shot on Bondcliff. Had to do a double take till I saw the Photoshop comment. Well done.

Thanks, Mark. I thought the Bondcliff shot might induce a little rubbernecking. ;) Can't wait to get back up there! Best, Mark