Couple of random White Mountain questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro

Reaction score
Planning another trip up to the Whites in January, if anyone can help me out with these questions I'd appreciate it:

1) I'm looking to climb Washington from the western side (Ammo); from what I've read I can use the lot below the main Cog lot for free - can anyone confirm that, and where exactly is the trailhead in relation to that lot... I've never climbed Wash from the west before so I'm completely ignorant of those trails but naturally understand the exposure versus eastern approaches.

2) The other hike I'd like to do is Adams via Lowe's Path; what is the arrangement for collecting parking fees if I get a pre-dawn start before the store opens, and what is the current fee?

3) Is a WNMF pass required for either of the two above?

Thanks a bunch

jethro said:
1) I'm looking to climb Washington from the western side (Ammo); from what I've read I can use the lot below the main Cog lot for free - can anyone confirm that, and where exactly is the trailhead in relation to that lot... I've never climbed Wash from the west before so I'm completely ignorant of those trails but naturally understand the exposure versus eastern approaches.
There are two lots on the Cog side. One is the actual lot for the Cog RR, which is private and they may or may not charge $5 to park there. It seems somewhat eratic in enforcement. It's a private lot, to get to the Ammonoosuc Ravine trail from there you'll have to go uphill past the Cog buildings and pick up the trail there. About 1/4 mile below the Cog lots is the WMNF lot, which will likely be plowed this season. The Ammo link starts right at the lot and takes you over to the Ammo proper. You will need a WMNF parking pass for that lot.
2) The other hike I'd like to do is Adams via Lowe's Path; what is the arrangement for collecting parking fees if I get a pre-dawn start before the store opens, and what is the current fee?
You can pay at the end of the day if you get there before they open. Again, it's a private lot so no WMNF parking pass is needed. I think they charge $1/day.

-dave-

As far as parking at the Cog goes, when we were up there last weekend, I walked into the building and asked 2 employees about parking there for hiking. They both concured that parking in the lower lot (far lowest plowed lot on your left as you appoach the Cog Building) was free for dayhikers. They also said that NO overnight parking was allowed, and that any overnight vehicles could be towed.

The Ammo Trail parking lot was totally unplowed and gated. Just use Dave's instructions on how to get to the trail from the Cog (which was well broken)

As for Lowes, pay at the end of the day, AND for a dollar to park there with little chance of a break in (who would mess with the Lowes?), you can't beat the deal...

Have a blast on your hikes!