Single Car Pressie Traverse Logistics

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bignslow

Reaction score
I'm considering trying a pressie traverse next week, but we'll only have 1 car in the area. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to get back to Appalachia from the highland center at the end of a long day?

I'm planning on starting around 5 AM, we did a GRT in the Adirondacks in 14:30, so I doubt we'll be getting out very early

• I tried looking up taxi services in the area but couldn't find anything.
  • I don't think the hiker shuttle we used previously (a guy with a van, can't remember the name) would be up for doing our shuttle at 4 AM (but I haven't asked him).
  • I considered using the AMC hiker shuttle, but that starts running too late and stops running too early to be useful.
  • considered staying at highland center and then taking the shuttle the next morning, but that is $$$
  • Renting a car in the area starts at $200+ a day

Anyone have any better ideas or suggestions?

Also, an out and back is not a valid option :p

The method that has been used by solo folks is to park at Crawford Notch and take the last AMC shuttle of the day to Appalachia the afternoon before. Bring barebones overnight gear in a duffel bag along with your day hiking gear and camp in the woods south of Appalachia. Realistically, if you are carrying recommended dayhiking gear, all you need is a bivy or a tarp and a light sleeping bag. Get up in the AM and either stash your gear or leave it up, it is highly unlikely anyone will borrow it. At the end of the day hike drive back from Crawford via Mt Clinton Road and Jefferson notch road to Rt 2 via valley road and pick up your stuff. Then head home.

The hassle with a morning car spot is that you are shuttling cars while you should be sleeping.

I'll look into that, their rates seem reasonable.

What day ? I might be able to fetch you.

I'm flexible depending on the weather. I'll be arriving in Keene NH (southern NH) on Friday night and staying through labor day weekend. We do have some friends we could stay with in Berlin to make the day 1 drive more reasonable.

The method that has been used by solo folks is to park at Crawford Notch and take the last AMC shuttle of the day to Appalachia the afternoon before. Bring barebones overnight gear in a duffel bag along with your day hiking gear and camp in the woods south of Appalachia. Realistically, if you are carrying recommended dayhiking gear, all you need is a bivy or a tarp and a light sleeping bag. Get up in the AM and either stash your gear or leave it up, it is highly unlikely anyone will borrow it. At the end of the day hike drive back from Crawford via Mt Clinton Road and Jefferson notch road to Rt 2 via valley road and pick up your stuff. Then head home.

The hassle with a morning car spot is that you are shuttling cars while you should be sleeping.

That's a pretty interesting idea...

When I did a solo traverse I dropped my car off at Appalachia in the middle of the afternoon, grabbed the AMC shuttle back to Crawford Notch, had dinner at the Lodge, stayed at the Shapleigh Bunkhouse, got up early and walked to Appalachia. I thought about changing my logistics and leaving a car at Crawford's and sleeping at Appalachia but even with minimum overnight gear it's still more than I'd want to carry on a 20 mile day. Actually I did a 30 mile day by adding Isolation and Jackson but the concept is the same. For me it was easier to spend a few bucks, get a nice dinner, get a decent night's sleep, a nice breakfast (though I left too early to get it, but I heard later I could have arranged for a breakfast to go) than to hassle with sleeping gear and the extra weight all day long. My 2 cents.

JohnL

A little late to the discussion I know but, when I did the solo traverse thingie I parked at Crawford and got on the trail at 4:00AM. I think the afternoon shuttle is at 2:30PM.

It's an early start, but the whole way up was dark so I wasn't focused at all on the physical nature of the climb, steepness or any of that. I got to listen to the woods. Virtually no cars through Crawford Notch. Almost no wind. On the other side of Eisenhower by the time the sun was "up". Made it to Appalachia with plenty of time to spare.

If you've gone I hope you had fun.
Joe.

If you're going solo or with one other person you can do what I did. I hiked from Appalachia and toward the end of the traverse I found someone (a meetup group actually) who gave me a ride back. I would try to secure something before, but I've never had an issue finding a ride back when I've relied on the kindness of others :). I would have a back up plan though. I had a friend in the area who was willing to drive a little bit if need be.

If this weekend goes well then next weekend (Sept. 8) I'll be in the same spot--begging for a ride. I plan to thumb my way back from Crawford Notch but any chance anyone on here will be driving through the area to help with a car spot?? beers on me!
Pat

If this weekend goes well then next weekend (Sept. 8) I'll be in the same spot--begging for a ride. I plan to thumb my way back from Crawford Notch but any chance anyone on here will be driving through the area to help with a car spot?? beers on me!
Pat

That's FLAGS ON THE 48 day. Carry a flag. I'm confident you'll get a ride almost immediately. If not I'll PM you my cell #. We might/should be around.

That's FLAGS ON THE 48 day. Carry a flag. I'm confident you'll get a ride almost immediately. If not I'll PM you my cell #. We might/should be around.

Oh ya, I forgot about that. I'll definitely toss a flag on my pack. I'll try thumbing my way, hopefully it goes better than it did for me yesterday walking with a bike outside of Gorham! But if I'm in a pinch I'll give you a ring, thanks Chip!

Pat