A new long one: The Gorham Loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowflea

Reaction score
Scanning my White Mtn. maps a few weeks back in anticipation of a trip home to Vermont, this rather obvious and perfect loop jumped off the paper. Why had I never attempted this one before? I contemplated calling it the Peabody Loop since it circumnavigates the Peabody River drainage - and, while stumbling down North Carter towards the end of the day, came up with a few other choices - but ultimately settled on the Gorham Loop.

The route, starting at the Pine Mtn. Trailhead in the town of Gorham, NH:

Up Pine Mtn., down the ledges, then Pine Mtn. Road, up Pine Link to Madison, down to Madison Hut, up Adams tagging JQ Adams on the way, over the summits of Jefferson, Clay, and Washington with lunch and tourist dodging near/on the summit, down upper Tuck's, Lawn Cutoff, and over to Glen Boulder... down Glen Boulder, across Rt. 16, up Wildcat Ridge Trail, across the Wildcats, down to Carter Notch, up Carter Dome, across S, M, and N Carter (Hight and Lethe, too), up Moriah, down Carter-Moriah Trail, and a short roadwalk back to the Pine Mtn. Trailhead. It was kinda hard.

Miles: 40'ish
Elevation: No idea. Anyone?
Total time: A bunch of hours
Water stops: @ Madison Hut, Washington summit, and that cool little stream on the way down to Carter Notch
Food eaten: Couple of granola bars, a PB&J sandwich, a gel, chicken soup, & coffee
Wildlife: A few chipmunks and birds (Where have all the moose gone?!)
Difficulty: Harder than the Pemi Loop and Mahoosuc Traverse, a little easier than the Hut Traverse
4000 k'ers: 10 AMCs, 18 Trailwrights (potential for 22)

It was awesome. Do it! :)

Last edited:
(Hight and Lethe, too)
18 Trailwrights
You actually did the thick bushwhack to pseudo-Lethe in your running outfit?

And of course the TW will let you count only 2 on this hike (you crossed a road)

I'd humbly (as I am humbled ["We're Not Worthy..."]) submit this is the "Stinkyfeet Loop".

Brutus has a bushwhack. Stinkfeet has a loop.

Congratulations. Awesome hike.

AMC guide online says 40.5 miles with 16,817' gain. Not too shabby.

Can you be a little more specific than "a bunch of hours?"

You actually did the thick bushwhack to pseudo-Lethe in your running outfit?
And of course the TW will let you count only 2 on this hike (you crossed a road)

Since I did no running that day, I was not wearing a "running outfit." :D
I am aware of Trailwright's criteria for completion. Still, thought it was kind of cool how many TW peaks one could bag in a day. (Can anyone think of a way to do more?) I had intended to climb all peaks of the Adams Family but wasn't motivated enough to do the out-and-back to Abigail so left Sam as a straggler as well.

That'll be a three-day backpack for me. When did you hike it?

Forgot to include the date. It was Monday, the 20th, a near perfect weather day!

I'd humbly... submit this is the "Stinkyfeet Loop"

Heehee, I like it!

AMC guide online says 40.5 miles with 16,817' gain. Not too shabby.
Can you be a little more specific than "a bunch of hours?" .

Thanks Jeff -- That cumulative elevation sounds about right. So it's about the same as, or a little more than, the Hut Traverse total elevation then, and about 10-12 miles less. Since I wasn't pushing for a fast time but rather just covering the distance, I don't feel like being any more specific than "a bunch of hours." :rolleyes: (Sorry I can't join you on your upcoming adventure, but I will be back there soon...!)