A Presidential Finish

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH Tramper

Reaction score
The 14th through the 16th of this month I hiked a relaxing (mostly) Presidential traverse/mini-vacation above the trees, even staying at a couple of the AMC huts -- a new but fun experience for me. This was an uphill south to north traverse beginning on Mt. Pierce. I skipped Jackson because I had done it a couple of months ago as part of a Crawford Notch circumnavigation. Originally my hike was to start and end at the PNVC, and it was to include Mt. Isolation. Since I did Mt. Isolation as a separate hike a few weeks ago, starting on the Crawford Path to Pierce made the most sense. Here's how it went down:

Day One:

I started at the Appalachia parking area and caught the noon Shuttle. I arrived at the Highland Center at 1:05 PM and hit the trail immediately. My goal for that day was to ascend and bag Mt. Pierce, then hike to the Lake of the Clouds hut bagging Mts. Eisenhower and Monroe along the way. Knowing my pace and how I hike I figured I'd get to the hut around five. I did. I asked the fellow when I got there what time it was: 'twas five on the dot. I made myself at home until dinner at six. What happens in the AMC huts at meal time? Well if you haven't been I won't spoil the surprise but will say it's fun. Reminded me of my days working with the YCC at the York Pond Fish Hatchery. Good energy.

20120814-PIERCE-near-summit-view-of-ike-monroe-and-washington.jpg

Near Mt. Pierce summit looking north showing Ike, Franklin, Monroe, and Washington.

20120814-EISENHOWER-ike-summit-carirn-and-view-north.jpg

Mt. Eisenhower summit, moving north. View of what's to come in the distance.

20120814-MONROE-approaching-monroe.jpg

Approaching Mt. Monroe. Nice up here.

20120814-MONROE-lakes-of-the-clouds-amc-hut.jpg

Made it to the hut. Yes!

20120814-MONROE-miles-of-mountains-in-the-setting-sun.jpg

Miles of mountains in the setting sun.

20120814-MONROE-summit-sunset.jpg

Wow, almost like being on another planet. Welcome to Mars.

Day one was a beautiful day. Lots of sun and gorgeous views until near sunset when the fog and clouds started rolling in, as expected (but it made those late day views interesting). Day One was expected to be my best day weather-wise. I might have put it off, but I had reservations and wasn't going to lose that money.

Day Two:

Day two was to be a simple stroll over Mts. Washington (my ninth on-foot ascent of this peak), Clay, Jefferson, and at least the main Adams peak (my fifth ascent of this one). A quick look out the window confirmed the weather reports were right and that it was going to be a foggy, possibly drizzly day. After a hearty hut breakfast I started on my way.

First there was Mt. Washington in the fog (I skipped Clay since there were no views, but I'll bag it another time). After bagging Mt. Washington it started raining so I put on my rain gear. It didn't last long so I was able to strip back down quickly. It's cool up there in the fog so I really didn't mind. It's otherworldly. There were no summit crowds or line to the sign which was nice. To top things off, I was trackside when the Cog RR slipped into view. Neat.

20120815-WASHINGTON-summit-photo.jpg

Where is everybody? Elsewhere, nice!

20120815-WASHINGTON-here-comes-the-cog.jpg

A Cog in the Fog.

Moving along I aimed my boots towards Mt. Jefferson taking its loop. Then the notorious Edmand's Col. Followed by the rocky summit of Mt. Adams. In this section I started seeing hints of sun trying to burn away clouds, even showing blue sky patches at times. For the time being (until I was 0.3 from Madison Spring Hut), I had no precipitation. Thankfully. Wet rocks would slow me down a bit.

20120815-JEFFERSON-trail-juncton-near-jefferson-summit.jpg

Like a minefield of rocks. Taken at the junction near Jefferson's summit.

20120815-JEFFERSON-trekking-into-edmands-col.jpg

Descending into Edmand's Col. No easy escape, hope the weather cooperates.

20120815-JEFFERSON-alpine-nute-in-edmands-col.jpg

Wildlife in the Col -- this vibrant nute sighting was unexpected.

20120815-ADAMS-approaching-mt-adams.jpg

Mt. Adams coming up, long one of my favorite peaks (I'll be doing Flags on the 48 here).

Continued...

Last edited:
A Presidential Finish (Continued)

Okay, where were we? That's right, leaving Adams, on my way to the Madison Spring Hut.

20120815-MADISON-approaching-MS-hut-and-mt-madison.jpg

Ah, the Madison Spring Hut finally. (This photo was actually taken after the fact. The last 0.3 to the hut it poured. I got soaked but it was okay at this time.)

Day Three:

I enjoyed my stay at the Madison Spring Hut. It's new and very nice. Smaller and more personal than the LOTC Hut. The summer "Croo" was spending their last night there so for them it was a bitter-sweet time. I hung out for a while after breakfast waiting on some friends (who were starting their own N-S multi-day traverse, but were going to summit Madison with me) but they were running late due to the rain and I was getting stir crazy. I decided to summit without them. When I got back I waited at the Hut for a while but ended up descending via Valley Way before they showed. I ran into them about a mile-and-a-half from the Hut. They were very late and apologized but it was cool. I understood, just as they understood my not being able to wait.

20120816-MADISON-fun-loving-MS-hut-amc-croo.jpg

The MS Hut Croo enjoying their last hut morning. This was taken after my dreary Madison ascent.

20120816-MADISON-approaching-madisons-summit.jpg

My dreary Madison ascent; there is a summit up here, somewhere.

20120816-MADISON-me-on-the-summit-48-of-48-for-2012.jpg

Made it. #48 The card gives the dates: March 24th through August 16th. A single season effort. I was supposed to finish the first week of July but life got in the way.

I pretty much ran down the mountain. At 0.9 from the trail head the rain came down in buckets and I got soaked again. I let it happen. I was just about done for the day. I caught up with a number of new friends I met at the hut, making great time on my finish; the exit took less than an hour from hut to truck, even with my stopping to chat with everyone I met.

I will now finish the year with fun hikes and repeats, helping others with their finishes, until I can begin the winter 48 and the NE 67 (need more time for travel on the latter). I still want to hike the Huntington Ravine trail and have a number of hikes planned. I must say that finishing is bitter-sweet. On one hand I was happy to finish, yet on another hand it was sad to see it end.

To see more photos of my season of peak bagging, this Facebook album should be visible to the public. Looking for a trail report? I posted one of those here.

Last edited:
Outstanding job on that fast 48 and rock-hopping Presi finish! Love the sunset shots too. I understand how you feel about the bittersweet finish, but as they say, "whenever one door closes, another opens." :D

Gorgeousness!! Way to crush it!

Thanks. Love your choice of wording :)

Outstanding job on that fast 48 and rock-hopping Presi finish! Love the sunset shots too. I understand how you feel about the bittersweet finish, but as they say, "whenever one door closes, another opens." :D

Thanks. It's so true. I am less a wife since I stared this, but new opportunities abound.

Congratulations Mike! :D

You make sure to let me know if you want company on some winter peaks, I still have 33 of them staring me in the face, and you seem like the kind of man who gets things done. ;)

Cheers,

Bill

Congratulations Mike! :D

You make sure to let me know if you want company on some winter peaks, I still have 33 of them staring me in the face, and you seem like the kind of man who gets things done. ;)

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill. By all means, I'm gathering a collection of friends/candidates for a winter team, so to speak. I love to solo, but in the winter I'd rather not. I do want to do a one-night Presi traverse by the light of the full or near full moon. It could be an epic hike IF the weather cooperates. Snow pack should make for smooth walking. You down for something like that?

Congratulations on an incredible and quick journey over the 48! Gotta love the Presidential completion. There's no better way to do it, and I'm sure it was fantastic spending more than a day up there. Absolutely love the "mars" shot. That's sweet.

Good luck this winter! I see the 0/48 waiting to be filled, it looks.

Congratulations on an incredible and quick journey over the 48! Gotta love the Presidential completion. There's no better way to do it, and I'm sure it was fantastic spending more than a day up there. Absolutely love the "mars" shot. That's sweet.

Good luck this winter! I see the 0/48 waiting to be filled, it looks.

Thanks man. Yep, winter awaits... looking forward to it. I did hike Mt. Washington at the edge of winter once with my parents. We were completely unprepared but were blessed with a gorgeous day, luckily. We made it but I can't count it since I don't know the exact month and day, so it's 0 of 48 for now. :)