Mts. Flume and Liberty via Flume Slide, Franconia Ridge, and Liberty Spring Trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH Tramper

Reaction score
Date of Hike: Aug 26, 2012

Trail Conditions: All trails were in normal summer condition. Though there was one really sizable spot of mud on Flume Slide Trail, as well as one sizable (12+ in. dia.) easy-over blow down. The slabs above the slide scree were mostly dry so it was pretty easy going. Good workout there, though -- I like that trail. All crossings easy. Franconia Ridge Trail, at least the part I traveled, was great, better in that a maintainer had just cleared a couple of the drainages I saw... thanks for the trail work! And lastly, Liberty Spring Trail was also in great condition, very little mud.

Special Equipment Required: None, though trekking poles can help with the rock hops and crossings.

Bugs: Other than a few flies and gnats, not much out there.

Other: It looked like there were plenty of open spots at the Liberty Spring Tent Site, but then again it was early afternoon on a Sunday.

Comments: I was with a small group. A friend of mine, a Meetup organizer named Allison (allison88), was making these peaks her 47th and 48th. We celebrated on Mt. Liberty with a wee bit of champagne and little bottles of vodka (one each). One of the group, Brenda, wow'd Allison, and everyone, in fact, by breaking out a bunch of cupcakes, chilled with ice, firm, frosted high, intact, upright, and delicious. Oh, did I mention that she had a "4" candle and an "8" candle stuck in two of them? Well, she did! That was a wicked cool thing of her to do to carefully, and craftily, haul them up those two mountains. A tasty surprise.

Mike "Tramper" Cherim
Nottingham NH