Finishing the NH 100 Highest Peaks on Mt. Dartmouth 9-2-12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J&J

Reaction score
Yesterday, September 2, 2012, my wife June completed her New Hampshire 100 Highest Peaks list. We had hiked North & South Huntington on Friday, East Scar on Saturday and then Dartmouth on Sunday to complete her NH100 Highest peaks. We were joined by friends Keith and Julie D. and their dog, Katahdin.

June and I have now hiked the NH 100 Highest together as I previously finished them earlier this summer (along with my NH3K's and NH200 highest peaks), repeating several peaks to do them with June. Congratulations to the best hiking partner a guy could ever have.

Here are a couple of pictures from June's big finish.

June with her NH100 patch. It's a small patch for a very big achievement. A very interesting fact to me is that over 10,000 people have completed the NH48 and fewer than 120 people have finished the NH100 peaks. I guess most people don't like bushwhacking. :D The NH100 patch was designed by Bill Bowden who many of you may have known and hiked with. Bill also used to post on VFTT as Bushwhack Bill until his untimely passing almost five years ago.
P1140626.JPG

June holding the big find of the day. Keith was actually the one who spotted the moose antler but he gave it to June to honor her big finish.
P1140675.JPG

Just when I swore off any more lists,I had to see that patch...I would like to get one of those....Amazing feat for both of you to accomplish considering the location of a lot of those peaks..Wow.....Did you use this list? http://nhmountainhiking.com/hike/lists/nh100.html or a more recent one? Do you have any info if anyone has done this list in winter?That could be a very short list....

Just when I swore off any more lists,I had to see that patch...I would like to get one of those....Amazing feat for both of you to accomplish considering the location of a lot of those peaks..Wow.....Did you use this list? http://nhmountainhiking.com/hike/lists/nh100.html or a more recent one? Do you have any info if anyone has done this list in winter?That could be a very short list....

There are actually several variations of the NHHH lists and that is not the one I used. There are a few differences. Last I knew, there have been less than 30 people that have completed the NHHH in winter. That is a great achievement to do those peaks in winter considering approx. 35 of the 100 are bushwhacks and some are very gnarly whacks at that.

Have you completed the New England 100 Highest yet? That's a great way to get your bushwhacking feet wet if you haven't, and learn the art of whacking. Most of the NEHH have herd paths with minimal :)D:D) whacking through really thick stuff.

Congratulations on the list and the great moose antler find! That thing is huge! I was shocked the first time I picked up a decent sized antler.......those things are HEAVY!
This post temps me to look into how many of the NH100 I've hiked......some knowingly and other just tagging along for the day.......you know, taking the scratches for the "fun of it" :) Ohhh, I just checked the above link......made it as far down the list as The Captain and decided.......I'm out!! Congrats on your finish, very impressive!!

Do you have any info if anyone has done this list in winter?That could be a very short list....
A much shorter list is those who have finished the NH 200 highest in winter :)

I don't have the list, but know that Lyn Beattie and Ed Robertson did: Ed Robertson and Lyn Beattie Finish NH 200 Highest.
According to Ed Hawkins they were the third and fourth to finish this list; Lyn was the first woman.

Since that was eight winters ago I assume that others have done it since.

What a great accomplishment. After seeing that great patch I will check my list. All these lists are included in the mother of all lists, the 770.
Is that correct? Again nice job. Mike D.

What a great accomplishment. After seeing that great patch I will check my list. All these lists are included in the mother of all lists, the 770.
Is that correct? Again nice job. Mike D.

The 770 are the summits over 3,000' in the northeast. The NHHH would be included in that list but the NH200 are not. The NH200 has 25 peaks that are below 3,000'.

Congratulations! That's a great accomplishment..and that patch is pretty cool...love the tree...I'll bet you both saw plenty of those on your BWs.

There are actually several variations of the NHHH lists and that is not the one I used. There are a few differences. Last I knew, there have been less than 30 people that have completed the NHHH in winter. That is a great achievement to do those peaks in winter considering approx. 35 of the 100 are bushwhacks and some are very gnarly whacks at that.

Have you completed the New England 100 Highest yet? That's a great way to get your bushwhacking feet wet if you haven't, and learn the art of whacking. Most of the NEHH have herd paths with minimal :)D:D) whacking through really thick stuff.
Would dig getting a link to the list you used if possible,especially if it is amc ok..
I have not finished my nehh yet..I just finished my 67 and am working on a 2cd round of them and a winter round[will take a while with the baxter peaks].The nehh does seem the way to go for bushwacking experience.I bushwacked quite a bit in the 70s and 80s, but have followed trails for the most part the last couple of years I started up hiking again.I have been to maine 1o times in the last year and half and have spent too much money going there.I peak bag very slowly and am hesitant to start a new list.I also like to do a red lining hike for every "list" hike I do.Hence,keeping hiking in state is my immediate objective.
I wonder if some of the people mentioned on this thread were at the amc awards two years ago?I might have a funny pic of you there.Also I briefly talked to some board member named keith who likes to bushwack. I remember him saying "you like to bushwack?"with a smile on his face....Cool to see this thread get the attention is deserves.....

Nh 100

June!!! I can't believe it. Do you remember me? The last time I saw you, we were hiking Osceola and starting our 4000 footers years ago.

We went to school together. We were in the photography club together and went on the backpacking trip. You sure have come a long way from "hating" hiking. haha...congratulations!!!!

Dianne