Labor Day Weekend in the ADKs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddie

Reaction score
On the Wednesday before Labor Day the weather forecast indicated a dry and generally sunny weekend. Due to the late decision I had no one to go with. But with my wife's blessing, I had the opportunity for three days of hiking to do whatever I wanted. My goal was to complete my 2nd round of 46ers and I needed to summit Seymour, Marshall, Redfield and Gray to accomplish that goal.

Day One 8/31: 9th anniv of my completing the 46ers the first time. Car camped the night before at the Seward TH and somehow a mouse got into the SUV with me. Its scurrying around the car kept me up, not to mention it crawling across my leg, then later biting me on the tip of my little toe (and it drew blood! :eek:), and much later awaking me after I finally fell asleep when I felt it sitting on my shoulder! Tired but ready to go, I ran/walked the 5 miles down the Blueberry Tr to the Seymour herd path cairn. A quick summit in high overcast and a few spits of rain. A nice view over to the Sewards put a bug in my head. When I reached the Seward path cairn in 4 hrs after starting and it was only 10:30am, I knew I had to get the other three. Across the ridge to bag the three, actually for the third time each, down Caulkins Brook Tr and back to the car in 11 1/2 hrs total, 20 miles. It's is nice to hike at your own pace but I did miss having company.

Day Two 9/1: Legs OK but I felt tired from the big hike the day before plus little sleep the night before. My mission was to bag Marshall on this sunny and mild day. Left from the Loj down Indian Brook Tr and decided that since I had never seen Wallface up close, I would go to Summit Rock. Interesting view but the trail is quite rough getting there. Went up Cold Brook Pass Tr to the herd path to Marshall. Easy to find the cairn and follow the path to the summit. I decided to descend via Herbert Brook and return via Avalanche Pass because the Cold Brook and Indian Pass trails are boring and because going along Lake Colden and Av Lake is such a beautiful and unique place. Plus I like to say "Hitch-up-Matilda" :D Saw some rock climbers on the cliffs above Av Lake, power-hiked out with an interesting guy to Marcy Dam. The empty Marcy Dam pond was a sad sight. Another great day 16 miles, 9 hrs.

Day Three 9/2: This was the creme de la creme of the weekend and maybe of my hiking existence. Another gorgeous sunny, puffy cloud day. Started from the Loj at 6:00am and via Lake Arnold directly to Redfield. Saw a dozen folks on the herd path and on the summit for 15 minutes by myself as I was the first to summit. Uphill Brook was very dry and I stayed in the brook bed as much as I could. Up to Gray herd path start at Lake Tear for a quick lunch with nice conversation with an interesting couple. The summit of Gray had a surprisingly nice view (last time there it was overcast). A quick descent to the lake to fill my Camelbak, and fast jaunt over to Skylight and another quick ascent. Shared the stunning summit views with about two dozen other folks. Hated to leave but still had some miles to cover. 20 mins down, 45 mins up Marcy to another four dozen summit loungers. It was such a great weather day, and a holiday at that, so crowds to be expected. Nice to see and speak with the summit steward Julia Goren again, who I first met two years ago. I teased her that she is now famous (recent articles in Peeks and ADK mags) and that she will become as famous as Ketchledge and Waterman. Again hated to leave the summit but it was 3:20pm so I made it my mission to get back to the Loj by 6:00 which I did. Power hiked most, ran a little where I could get some decent footing. I passed a lot of hikers wondering what my hurry was although one guy passed me. He said he ascended Marcy in 2 hours and would descend in 1:30! Wow! This day was 22 miles, 12 hrs.

Grand totals 58 miles, 32 1/2 hrs, 13,000 ft ascent, great weather, moved at my own pace, but I did miss my hiking buddies. But I enjoyed packing in as much in as I could in the weekend. My own way to celebrate Labor Day weekend in the mountains. Also, now I'm half done with round 3.

Last edited:
Highonlife and I camped at the Sewards Trailhead five or so years ago and were over run by mice... They were literally hurling themselves off tree branches onto the roofs of our cars!

Sounds like you had a great weekend ;-) --- I hit Allen, The Santas, and Marcy-Gray-Skylight one Labor Day weekend ---- it was the highlight of my 46.

I've never taken the herd path from Cold Brook Pass to Marshall -- is it easy to spot?

Congrats on round 2!

Last edited: